Dogomania

my Boss is a total BYB

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Ugh.

So the manager at my salon has 8 dogs - but only, she said, because she bred her Pekes and still has the puppies. She also has a Rottweiler and a 9 month old mix puppy she found in her yard. She's convinced the puppy is a MinPIn/Chihuahua mix, but I pointed out that he looks like a short-haired Tibetan Spaniel (though I doubt there are random Tibetan Spaniel puppies showing up in yards).

I was upset about the Pekingese thing. Her Pekes aren't even registered, she just breeds to sell them for $300. But I ignored it.

And she's always talking about wanting more puppies; if any customers (work in a grooming salon) mention breeding their dogs, she wants to know if/when they have puppies. A red Rottweiler puppy came in the other day, and she practically offered to buy the puppy and I think got the breeder's info. Then today a pair of Poms came in, which were going to be bred, and my manager was like, "call me if you have puppies!!!"

Then they said the Poms weren't papered, she was like "so what??" And they said puppies would probably be 150, she suggested they charge more. Ugh. (Plus one was a nutcase and bit my manager in the face... but she still wants its puppies :roll: )

[b]The KICKER is when I found out that next week she's breeding her MUTT to a Miniature Pinscher.[/b] Yep, it's 9 months old and of unknown heritage, but who the heck cares. Blech.

Crazy lady. She's grumbled about puppymilling customers many times, and she's complained about men who won't neuter their dogs - she neutered her Rottweiler, but only because of marking (he was 4 when she had it done). She's taken in strays and rehomed several. She has an ultimate goal of buying a farm for all the unwanted dogs to live on.... But she's a crazy BYB if I've ever seen one, and it's so annoying to just keep my mouth shut. ARGH.

Guest Anonymous

wow you h ave more control then i do. i would have totally gone off on my boss if i were you.. all you can do is educate :drinking:

Guest Mutts4Me

Red Rottweilers... have coloring/markings like Red Dobermans, but are Rottweilers...

[img]http://www.dru.org/images/available/katie.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.dru.org/images/available/russell.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.dru.org/images/available/seiko.jpg[/img]

(Katie, Russell, and Seiko are all adoptable through [url]http://www.dru.org[/url] )

I don't think they're "normal," but of course if someone gets one, they're going to exploit them as "rare."

To anyone who would've gone off on their boss, or wants me to try and "educate" her, I appreciate your concern and I admire your determination, but I honestly don't think there's any "educating" a 40 year old woman who's been in the dog business for 25 years. And it took me forever to find this job; I don't want to cause tension that's going to make me want to quit. My effort was going to be to find some adoptable Pomeranians in my area on Petfinder, print them out, and give them to her, but no luck. I don't know about elsewhere, but small dogs aren't in shelters long here; they get snatched up really quick - our shelters are fullt of GSD and Pit Bull type things :-?

The part that's kind of upsetting is that, in all her years working with dogs, she has to be aware of the problems of overbreeding and poorly bred dogs. She has to have seen with her own eyes what happens when people breed indiscriminantly. The fact that she's "rescued" several dogs PROVES she knows there is a problem. I can forgive ignorance. It's one thing when people are simply oblivious and don't know any better. There are people who truly mean well, but just don't realize the bigger problems they create. However, it's unforgivable when someone knows and just doesn't care, or tries to justify it to suit their agenda. :(

I understand about wanting to keep down tension. I'm as big a hothead as anyone, but there are times when it does more damage than good to be confrontational. I feel like you... I don't see how much educating you can do with someone who knows what's going on, but chooses to do as she pleases. The most you can do is be really pro-rescue with people who come in and are considering another pet. You know, cheerfully and "helpfully" point out that there are about a gazillion dogs on Petfinder, in shelters, rescues, where ever, and they have just about any kind of dog they're looking for and how sad it is that so many of them are unwanted due to (duh) overbreeding. If your boss has ever rescued one dog and has any decency, surely she won't (figuratively) slap you in the face for suggesting adoption to someone looking for a dog.

Guest Mutts4Me

HF, I'm totally with you. When she was talking about [i]needing[/i] a Pomeranian puppy, one of the groomers (half) jokingly told her she couldn't have one of every dog!!! So I suggested that if she really just liked being around new dogs and all, that she could start pulling a dog or two from the pound, concentrate on finding them homes, and adopt new ones. That's when she told me (seriously) that she'd always dreamed of buying a farm for all the dogs no one wanted. So how can she be into that and into producing puppies for profit? I don't get it, I really don't.

I did tell everything to another groomer who is involved in rescue, and she was disgusted, and may talk to the manager about it. The manager had already told her (and me) she was getting that mutt puppy neutered, and now she's breeding him? Plus the thing about the Poms is too much. We can't openly disapprove of customers, but we don't need to encourage them with that kind of thing, either. And like I said, the manager has complained about numerous customers that she calls "puppymills" and how they only keep pets as "breeders."

So she sees a problem, she just somehow does not get that she's part of it. Sigh.

Mutts4me wrote:
[quote]Red Rottweilers... have coloring/markings like Red Dobermans, but are Rottweilers...[qoute/]

I get where your coming from with the red rott thing like red dobes (Had a red dobe) but as far as I am aware they dont come in any colour other than black & Tan so therefore I would think that it is crossed. Then people like your boss get hold of them and as you say pass them of as the rare red ones.
Having been involed with and owned rotts over some 17 years I have read and own a number of books and Black and tan is the only colour they should come in.
Unfortunatly while there are people in this world that get sucked in with out doing any reseach on a breed they will be exploted by others out to make a buck. :roll:
Good luck with your job.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='hicksstar']I get where your coming from with the red rott thing like red dobes (Had a red dobe) but as far as I am aware they dont come in any colour other than black & Tan so therefore I would think that it is crossed.[/quote]

From the American Rottweiler Club:

[quote]Red "Rottweilers"
by Liz Wertz

The American Rottweiler Club (ARC) has determined that a base color other than black is not acceptable. Currently, there have been reports of Rottweiler litters with a base color classified as red. This trait should be considered a disqualifying genetic fault as set forth in the American Kennel Club (AKC) Rottweiler Breed Standard and ARC's Mandatory Practices.

The ARC discourages breeders from allowing this trait to spread and recommends the following:

Red Rottweiler specimens, their littermates, and parents SHOULD NOT BE BRED.

All of these dogs should be spayed or neutered.

None of these dogs should be registered with AKC. If registration is granted for these dogs, it should be only the AKC "Limited Registration".

WHAT EXACTLY IS A "RED ROTTWEILER"?

A "Red Rottweiler" carries a genetic fault which inhibits the display of the characteristic black base coat color. It is a recessive gene, which when expressed, gives the appearance of a light brown or auburn base coat color with light auburn markings.

Frequently, "Red Rottweilers" also exhibit lighter colored eyes which may possibly be linked to a higher incidence of eye problems. In addition, some sources claim to have found "Red Rottweilers" to also carry a higher incidence of cardiac problems.

The American Kennel Club (AKC) is registering Rottweilers displaying this trait, which has never been confirmed as pure bred. The current breed standard distinctly says: "Color: Always black with rust to mahogany markings; and disqualifications: any base color other than black..."

The American Rottweiler Club will uphold the Rottweiler as a black dog with clearly defined markings. We cannot allow this genetic fault to corrupt the purity of our breed.

The American Rottweiler Club must prevent the breeders of "Red Rottweilers" from further contaminating our gene pool. Breeders of "Red Rottweilers" oftentimes classify these genetic variants as harmless, and frequently advertise them as "rare". Do not let the promoters of "Red Rottweilers" fool you. The Rottweiler breed is not improved by incorporating this disqualifying genetic fault. Ethical breeders do not intentionally breed for disqualifying faults. And remember, the danger not only resides in the red-coated Rottweiler puppy from a litter but in all the littermates as well, even though the littermates may have a base color of black.

Allowing this trait to spread is a serious threat to the genetic integrity of the Rottweiler breed. The American Rottweiler Club is obligated to educate its members, breeders and Rottweiler fanciers , as well as preserve and protect the Breed for future generations.
[/quote]

[quote]Good luck with your job.[/quote]

Thank you. Don't tell anyone *looks around* but I plan on sticking around long enough for them to send me to Grooming School and get Certified, and then I am gone :wink: