Dogomania

Going to my firt agility fun trial!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, me and my dog, Cody (4 year old Aussie) have been training for months in agility, and on March 20th we are running in our very first agility fun run! Of course no points or anything yet, but this is a big step since we've only done agility by ourselves and in small classes so far. So jumping to doing agility in front of an audience is going to be a little nerve wrecking. I'm shy normally, so this is going to be an amazing experience.

I believe that we will do well, and hopefully I will find out fully what we need to improve on. I'm hoping that he doesn't get too hyper, because we haven't been able to practice as much lately because of winter and the closest indoor agility facility is too far away to go to on any kind of regular scheduel.

Well, I'll keep everyone updated on how I do on the weekend. :)

Does anybody have any tips on what I should do once I get to the indoor agility facility (where the fun run is taking place). I want to make sure Cody is as comfortable as possible since sometimes he can be quite wary of new places, people and situations.

Shelley~

Guest Anonymous

A mint? I've never heard of that before. :)

I think I'll give it a try! I like mints anyway. Lol, so even if it doesn't help I'll be able to have a nice minty fresh breath. :lol:

Relax as much as possible. Take your dog to the loo before you run. Most dogs adapt very easily to running indoor if they have been running outdoor. Also make sure you stretch your dog well before he is due to run. Jog up and down with him and get him to spring on his hind legs to stretch out his back.Also make sure he gets a small feed a few hours before he runs. Never starve a dog or let him run on an empty stomach before competing in agility especially. We would never be expected to run a marathon on an empty tum and the same goes for a dog.

As for the crowd? I see the crowd before I walk into the ring with Meggie and regardless of whether its a few people or several thousand, they will just melt away when you start to compete. Once you are in that ring you won't even notice the crowd. You will see them before and after you run but the inbetween bits its just you and your dog running as a partnership.

one last thing: Most importantly remember that no matter what happens you will ALWAYS take home the best dog on the day. :wink: Good luck and have fun!

Guest Anonymous

Thankyou. :D Those are some very useful tips. I will definitely do my best to calm down, and walking him around the building seems like a good idea. I think for my first run I will probably use treats just to help keep his attention. After the first run he should be more comfortable and I can probably put them away. I'm really excited about going!

It's also great, because if I make mistakes in a fun match I can pick them out and go back to do it right. If I make a mistake, it won't be bad because this is for FUN! :D If someone goes to a fun match being too serious, it takes the fun out right away. So I'm hoping for the best! I've ran into a few not-so-nice agility people in my training, and I'm just hoping that the people there are more supportive and friendly.

I'm only still 18, so this is hopefully the beginning of making me into an agility addict. (If I'm not already. :lol)