Dogomania

Not staying in the yard?

pomeranians

My Moms dog Takona is a husky/lab mix. She's lived with us about five years, and is about six years old. She does have a major problem though... she will NOT stay in our yard. We live in a semi remote area, and theres not a whole lot of traffic, but, it still is a danger for her to head out by the road, which she does extremly often, almost every day. She doesn't listen what-so-ever, and puts herself in major danger all of the time. Just yesterday she ran out across the road, and cars were having to slow down/stop for her. :o

I was hoping someone could give me some ways to stop this bad habit, and hopfully get her to stay within the bounderies of our home.

Thanks to any help.

She may need to be on a tie out when outdoors. Toby is a husky/lab mix also (if you have andy pics I would love to see) and we live in a place about like you describe, not a lot of traffic, but all it takes is on car. When we had McKenzie she had to be on a tie out when outdoors, I just refuse to take the risk. Tie out or leashes, no being loose unless there is a good fence. McKenzie had a great tie out, we had a trolley, it went inbetween two trees about 30 feet, then it had a 20 foot tie out cable attached to it. She could run almost the entire back yard. She was pretty tough and eventually broke it, but we replaced it. You have to get a strong one for a big dog and check them for wear and tear.

Welcome to husky world.... :wink: That is a fairly "normal" problem for huskies and husky mixes to have- unfortunately the undergroung fencing may not work either- I know husky owners whose dogs learned that a bit of discomfort (the correction shock) is worth the reward- escaping.
As opposed as some folks are about tethering, it's still the best option for huskies. Kenneling can cause pacing and boredom problems- they seem to know when they are fenced in. All my guys ae tethered when I'm not with them, and the myth that it causes aggression and anti-social behavior is bunk. This is a pic of all 10 of my dogs-males and females, loose together in the fenced dog yard. If tethering caused aggression, this is where it would manifest. I've not had a single growl or snarl.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwCRAqMYwu5AAJ3OiQP6jz6CBKSvrta0AhaBMNQ7ImcNyU58kGs84p2TdfzNm4sizj7nm7FWlGmUypdDtl61vr3T2pDuJlkQICUnCb57mo5b*KIVFCyIUi5UyzYG57ef/92300009.jpg?dc=4675511059637309249[/img]

But when you tie her up, it won't be for hours.....it will be to do potty, then let back in. So she won't be barking out there unless you keep her on a tie out unsupervised, which shouldn't be done anyway.

The only time you keep a dog tied up for hours is when you are on the other end of the leash and you are playing with them.

I'd much rather tie out a dog then to have him get hit by a car or to get into a fight with another animal, or be abused by a person for being in their yard.

She is pretty. I think Toby will look a lot like that, but he is really like tan.

I would say if she did bark when being tied, I would rather here a little barking than yelping in pain from getting hit by a car. She may bark at first. Toby whines like he is dying when I take him out and tie him out. I try to play with him, but for a few minutes he just pulls and whines and tries to get loose. They get over it!

• 1 month later...

My Golden Retriever/Husky mix named Maya is a fence jumper and neighborhood roamer. So whenever she's in the back yard, I attach a 40-foot cable to her harness. She can still use almost the whole yard (which is big), and can play with the other dogs. It works great! Sure, I would like her to be able to be free in the yard, but she can't be trusted. I would rather have her on a cable when she's outside instead of getting loose and being hit by a car.