Dogomania

Tenant wants puppy

So this could be a rant,,,,,
Yesterday at about 10:00pm I got a phone call from my tenant's older son. He ask Ummm Andrea, I have a question. I say ok ask away. He goes can I get a pet? I hesitated and asked what kind of pet. He goes a dog. Well I said, I can't allow that. He goes why, I said because I used to allow dogs and pets in the apartments and no one took care of the poop, nor did they get insurance or even help prevent flees, and they let their dogs soil my carpets that I had to replace many of them. He goes well not even if I tied the dog out outside at all times??? :o (WHAT!!) I go NO WAY!! you can not have a dog tied out at all times there is no way, do you realize how cold it gets here? Besides that, where will my dogs go if you get a dog? He goes well you can find another place for your dogs! You already have 3.( Hello loser I'm the landlord right?) I saw this dog at the PET store :o !! I said PET STORE!!! He said yeah the pet store. I said then absolutely NOT!!! NO PETS!!! He said you are being unfair. I stated the city only allow 3 dogs per house and I pay an addional $1,500 a year on my homeonwers to cover my dogs so I'm maxed out. Save your $ buy your own home then own as many dogs you want from the PET STORE! :evil:

Thats a tough situation. I defiently understand where you are coming from though. Everybody wants a dog, but not everybody is responsible and ruined carpet is terrible. We rent and the woman that lived her before left her dog alone all day. They had to replace all the floors when she moved out. The carpets were ruined and smelled of pee. The lenolium(sp?) was even ruined because of the dog going all over the house. It is hard to have to tell someone no when they want a dog, but you don't you own it and it is your decision. If they can't handle it they need to buy there own house, or move somewhere that will allow pets!

Some years ago when I had an investment property I did allow dogs. However I would meet the owner with the dog before making a decision to rent to that person. That way I could see if the dog was a loved and well cared for animal.

Anyone who has a well cared for animal will usually take care of the property as they take care of their dog. I would never insist on having the animal kept outside as I wouldn't leave my own dogs outside. The weather is kinder here in Australia with the temperatures not so extreme but I still believe dogs should live with their family.

My last tenant was a family with two German Shepherds and I have to say that those people left the house in better condition than when it was rented to them.

Guest Anonymous

I own a fourplex, and I stop allowing pets long ago. After having to repair holes in the dry walls, replace carpets, repair door frames and doors, paying a small fortune to an exterminator to get rid of a flee and tick infestation, and dealing with complaint from other tenets about the smell and noise from dogs and the mine field they left in the front yards, I learned my lesson.

NO DOGS ALLOWED.

Tenants who look after their dog won't allow the place to be wrecked by their animals. It's too hard to find another rental so most want to stay in one place. That plus the fact that most devoted dog lovers do train their dogs to be well bahaved which is why I always used to meet the prospective tenant AND the dog.

Unruly and/or messy people usually have unruly animals. It pays to be very careful who you rent to as animals can be the least of your problems.

I actually found that small children caused more damage than was ever caused by the dogs. Drinks spilled on carpets and walls damaged by kids.
The worst tenant I ever had was a mature single male who evidently had an aversion to cleanliness and to watering the garden. He had no animals

My tenants always got a reference from me for their animals just in case they needed it in the future.

we used to be caretakers of a block of flats- worst tennant we had always went out prefectly groomed himself he was about 19 or twenty. When he left he owed a months rent the flat had never been cleaned once while he was there -his bed had a large burn hole in the mattress-
---------------------------------------------------------------------
could you have educated this young man on the quaity of pet shop puppies- even come to a compromise where he could have a share with your dogs playing with them or walking one of them he maybe a responsible owner when he grows up

Mouse- Ro suggested the same thing. This tenant is in his early 20s. Ro said for us to let him " take over 1 of our dogs for a while" also for me to print up articles on pet store puppies and puppy mills. As most of you know I own 2 homes. In my other home I do alow pets.My 1st floor and 2nd floor tenants there do have dogs. The 2nd floor has a Sheltie mix she is 8 years old and her name is Gracie. That tenant has been living there for about 2 years. I interview this tenant before hand and she explainded to me that she is 68 years old and Gracie is all she has. No one will rent to her. Gracie is her daughter. I hesitated because the carpets are cream, and the walls and tile are white, but she seemed sincere and she wanted the apartment. I let her move in with Gracie. Well I don't regret it. You wouldn't even know there is a dog living in the apt. The carpets are kept clean and so is the yard. She does treat Gracie like a daughter. My 1st floor tenant has a Pekinese (sp) named Blessing.( My tenant is also Ro's step Mother) She too keeps the apt cleen. But for some reason this house that I live in no one seems to take me seriously :-? A while back I had a flea investation, we had fleas everywhere, I found them in my baby's diaper, come to find out 2 tenants here snuck in cats :roll: I ordered then to remove the cats. Anyways back to the young man. I'm going to print some things on puppy mills and pet store puppies and see what he says.

I could never be a landlord. I have never had to rent thankfully so no one has ever told me I can't have dogs. I would just be miserable if I couldn't have dogs. I know some people will never be able to buy their own home so it's kind of sad that so many people even animal lovers say no. I know there are financial issues here and it's a business but that's why I said I could never do it.

I hated being a landlord..I gave the property to my son when he got maried.

Like you Cairn6 I have never had to rent either. It must be a nightmare for people who love their dogs trying to convince landlords to allow dogs in rental properties.

This is why so many people have no choice but to give up their beloved animals when rentals will not allow dogs. These poor people know the shelters are full and their dogs may well be euthanased...so sad.