Dogomania

Fleas and Ticks

nadooshkinz

Clea has fleas! :-? or at least one, the only one I could find, and her ticks are back! I really don't know what to do, the vet said no medicines or collars until she's at least 4 months old, so I've been using this new medicated shampoo on her, which I thought worked pretty well but I gave her a bath today and found four ticks on her left ear ALONE! then about 5 more on random places on her body, and 2 near her muzzle..
I took out the ticks, but I really didn't know what to do about the flea so I just left it there :-?
I'm not even sure if it IS a flea, Rowie said it might be lice.. Its oval shaped, and light brown..?
any help would be appreciated :wink:

Why has the vet said your dog can't have flea and tick prevention until 4 months? I guess you are worming the pup.

I had my little pup on Advocate at 7 weeks of age. He then went on to Sentinel Spectrum at 3 months of age.

edited to add: Why did you not remove the flea when you saw it on the pup?

I agree if you see one flea then you have a colony of them. Is it possible to treat the environment if you are unable to treat the dog?

[quote name='anne3149']Why has the vet said your dog can't have flea and tick prevention until 4 months? I guess you are worming the pup.

I had my little pup on Advocate at 7 weeks of age. He then went on to Sentinel Spectrum at 3 months of age.

[b]edited to add: Why did you not remove the flea when you saw it on the pup? [/b]

I agree if you see one flea then you have a colony of them. Is it possible to treat the environment if you are unable to treat the dog?[/quote]

Didn't know if i should have... I'll call the vet again, and ask him about frontline, and yes I will use sprays and such to treat her bed and other places, Thanks for your help everyone! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Lucky you, I've been having bouts with them since I brought Kiani home from the shelter. And man were they horrible at first, I mean she had like 100 on her, and some where as big as the end of my thumb litteraly.
I've been giving her flea baths very often, about once a week. But now that they're in the house, it's even harder to get rid of them, plus she picks up more at the dog park. It's definatly a never ending battle.

I've heard from some people that garlics a natural resistant against fleas and ticks. Does any one know if this is true?? and if it is, how much garlic do you give them??

If you have a severe flea problem both on the dog and in the environment you really need to take appropriate action.

Flea bomb the house or have a professional pest control person come in and treat the place and ask the vet for a good knockdown product to get rid of the fleas on the dog. There are many products out there that will kill the fleas on the dog with a short time frame. Capstar by Excel is one but I am not sure which countries this is available in. There are a number of spray on products that kill fleas instantly.

Your pups can become quite ill with a severe flea infestation. Anaemia is one problem. If your dog ingests a flea then he will probably get tapeworm as well.

I use Sentinel Spectrum and my dogs are protected from fleas, intestinal worms and heartworm. It is a once a month tablet.