Dogomania

Talk about mixed up.........

imported_Debbie

Well since people are just tossing dogs together and creating breeds does that mean my new mutt is really a breed. I figured he was mutt, being husky and lab cross, but ok...lets see he can be a

sklab
huber
labersky

Ok honestly this is just stupid...He is a mutt and so are all the others. Call em what you want, but I got a mutt and he is the most adorable and perfect pet in the world and I love him....but I didn't pay some outrageous price for him. I have to say in my county we pretty much know a mutt is a mutt, you don't see a lot of designer breeds in our papers, just people wanting pure breeds for free or cheap.

You hit it on the head Crystal :wink: !!! Back when, these dogs would be called a Mutt, but in this day and age of designer dogs they're all of a sudden new breeds raking in big prices..... :roll:
I just don't know how they think they're going to get the prices they're asking :-? ......we don't live in a big city......and these type of ads are not the norm here. That's why it floored me when I saw these all in one days ads. :o

Anyone taking a guess on the Shalapa-Poos ????
I'm going to guess, Shih Tzu, Lhasa, and Poodle....... :roll:
Maybe I'll give these people a call to inquire exactly [i]what [/i]they are.

[quote]Well since people are just tossing dogs together and creating breeds does that mean my new mutt is really a breed. I figured he was mutt, being husky and lab cross[/quote]
First youd have to inbreed the dog for a few generations, make sure its genetically unhealthy. Then you can call it a purebred :wink:
All purebreds are are descendants of mongrels, or some purebreds are the direct result of crossbreeding and then inbreeding programs. So, yes, you can create your own purebred from a mixed breed dog after a few generations.
What do you call a mixture of a German Pinscher, Rottweiler, Manchester Terrier and Greyhound = a Doberman Pinscher.

With all the dogs at the local pound I wouldn't pay any thing more than an adoption fee for any dog. To me a dog is a dog is a dog...love them all. :D :wink: I just would never pay big money for a dog...ever. Some people will and to each his own. If they want to fork over 1500.00 for a purebred compared to paying 800.00 for a more genetically versatile dog. I would say the person forking over the bucks for the cross breed is smarter. :wink:
Just to add, I don't know much about genetics. But, Ive read enough sceintific studies to realize that purebred breeding is not genetically healthy. :D

:-? Matty... In theory what your saying may be right, but #1, I doubt sincerely these people have been breeding these dogs like the ones in the ads for generations....these are OOPSIE breedings and they're making them sound good for big $$$$. :roll:
And #2 how do you know these mutts are healthier than pure bred dogs ?? You know nothing about the dogs in these ads that were bred.
They could be the unhealthiest dogs in town......who knows ??? :-?

Ummmm the Toy Poodle/Pit Bull breeding sounds ouchy if the female is the Poodle..... :oops: :lol:
But I do like the name you've got for the new breed !!! PIDDLES !!! LOVE IT !!!!! :lol:

[quote]I doubt sincerely these people have been breeding these dogs like the ones in the ads for generations....these are OOPSIE breedings and they're making them sound good for big $$$$.[/quote]
I think that to improve the quality of purebreds breeder should be out breeding like these. Inbreeding dogs is just wrong, and thats how purebreds were created.

[quote]And #2 how do you know these mutts are healthier than pure bred dogs ?? You know nothing about the dogs in these ads that were bred.[/quote]
I never said these dogs were healtier debbie. But, the chances of them being healthier is far greater than a purebred dog. Remember purebred breeding is what created all the genetic diseases in the first place. Inbreeding in my book is just bad genetics...very very bad.

[quote]I know more about this topic with horses, but I'm sure that it goes for dogs [/quote]too
pwrpufgirlz, Im not too keen on purebred horses either. I certainly wouldn;t take most purebred horses on a trail. Give me a grade horse any day :D plus, in horse breeding your not really taking the horse too far out of its natural conformation. I don;t see any pushed in faces, short legs, hairless. But, who knows if purebred breeders have their way we will have short legged hairless horses :(

[quote name='"Matty"'][quote]I doubt sincerely these people have been breeding these dogs like the ones in the ads for generations....these are OOPSIE breedings and they're making them sound good for big $$$$.[/quote]
I think that to improve the quality of purebreds breeder should be out breeding like these. Inbreeding dogs is just wrong, and thats how purebreds were created.

[quote]And #2 how do you know these mutts are healthier than pure bred dogs ?? You know nothing about the dogs in these ads that were bred.[/quote]
I never said these dogs were healtier debbie. But, the chances of them being healthier is far greater than a purebred dog. Remember purebred breeding is what created all the genetic diseases in the first place. Inbreeding in my book is just bad genetics...very very bad.

That's why my Lab/Rott goes to the Vet more than my pure bred Jacks.......
That's why she's plagued with allergies and ear infections.
That's why I spend the big money on Prescription food for her and monthly grooming to make sure her ears are throughly clean...... :roll: :wink:

[quote name='Matty'][quote]SHALAPA-POO's [/quote]
I don't know what that is? :lol: Im interested in the first person on the board to let us know :lol:[/quote]

I think they mean shih/lhasa/poo, that is what Daisy's mix is (my avitar)

And here is a link to a much, much bigger pic of her.

[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=18194[/url] :look3:

Guest Mutts4Me

I just have to bring up the dog in our Salon the other day... the owner told me its name, and I said "the Maltese?" And she said "No, the Malteesh" - i was confused because it sounded like she just had a horrible lisp . . . But then I got her dog, saw a colored ear, and realized it must've been sold to her as a "Malteshih" or something :roll:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Dog Lover']I'm gonna bread a pit bull with a toy poodle...

I'm gonna call them PITTLES! Who wants one?! :drinking:[/quote]

LMAO that was great DL :lol:

[quote name='courtnek']well then, we can breed a labrador and a curly coated retriever, and call it the Lab Coat. choice of vet techs world wide....[/quote]

:lol: You could market them as the perfect dog for those who are always misplacing their lab coat ... the Lab Coat retriever.

Neat picture pwrpufgirlz. Yes, horses developed naturally to their environment Arabians developed to their environment that has nothing to do with man manipulating the horse and trying to breed for a dished in face. That is natural selection and has nothing to do with purebred breeding. An Arabian horse is more a race or type of horse rather than a purebred. Nothing like our purebred dogs.
And yeah I do ride on the trail a lot and most the horse people I talk to usually breed their quarter horses to other types of horses. Horses are not bred as poorly as purebred dogs are and horse breeders would be mortified if any one tried to breed horses the way they do dogs. As far as Thoughbreds and Standard breds I think they are just plan high strung. Just my opinion, as I said before I aint no expert Im just telling it as I reads it :lol:
[quote]I wasn't talking about horse breeders though, I'm talking terrain and natural environments creating numerous characteristics among different horses, like arabians with dished in faces, small figures, raised tails, all made for speed and endurance while living in the wild in the desert. Or the connemara pony of Ireland living in the marshlands, shetland ponies of scotland, etc etc. [/quote]

Exactly the way dogs were produced. They are called mongrels or races of dogs. Different types of dogs adapted to their "environment". They were spitz types in the north, kinda houndish in the warm climates, large and mastiffy in the high terrain, and some what a sheep dogish in the mountain terrain. Thats how dogs evolved just the same as horses to blend in with their environment and be healthy. Then man comes along and takes a small population of these natural breeds and starts inbreeding to make their so called perfect purebred dogs.
Horse breeding is in no way as horrible as dog breeding is. Dog breeding is for physical beauty, when you start just breeding for that then you are making horrible genetic problems. Horse breeders usually are breeding for good working animals etc. Do you see the difference??? doesnt it make a lot of sense?
[quote]That's why my Lab/Rott goes to the Vet more than my pure bred Jacks.......
That's why she's plagued with allergies and ear infections.
That's why I spend the big money on Prescription food for her and monthly grooming to make sure her ears are throughly cl
[/quote]
Debbie, purebredreeding has caused these problems in the first place. I think almost every purebred dog owner I talk to goes through major genetic health problems. Even my vet says he thinks purebreds are just a big genetic mess.
There are purebred mongrels which there are some out there but not so much in North america, youd have a perfect dog.. Its so sad that purebred breeding started all these problems and they are infecting other dogs :( If a purebred dog has genetic problems you can't just dilute the problem by crossbreeding. The problem is going to leak out the the whole genetic pool of dogs. Kinda sad that purebred breeders are doing this horrible thing :(
Any way, as I said before, I am not an expert on genetics but I have been doing a lot of reading. To me it makes total sense that purebred breeding is just wrong, especially the way purebred dog breeders go about it. There are much more healthy ways to keep the look and type of your breed by outcrossing than inbreeding and line breeding.
Thats all my take on it. Thanks pwrpufgirlz for your knowledge of horses, I find it very interesting. Its neat when you think about healthy natural horse breeding compared to unnatural unhealthy dog purebred breeding

Thats all Im going to say about this and sorry every one for taking this out of context. I guess reading up on this subject has opened my eyes and freaked me out quite a bit :lol: Its scary that at one time I thought purebred dogs were right, boy have I changed my mind on that one :wink:

[quote]Not every breeder line breeds and in breeds.....
I'm sure you can't speak for everyone[/quote]
Debbie, you do realize that in order to create a purebred you HAVE to inbred to create the look and conformation. All breeders especially the suppossed best breeders line breed. Purebred dogs have limited amount of genes cause there are only limited amount of dogs used to create a purebred dog.
Think about it this way, if I want to create a purebred Lab/Shep. I would take a few bitches and males and breed them for a few generations til I get the look I want. Then the kennel clubs recognize it as a breed. So, then you have thousands of these Lab/Shep mixes out there and they become popular. So, then you have what looks like a large gene pool but only a few founder dogs. To create a purebred dog you have to inbred and line breed, there is no other way Debbie. This is what makes them so unhealthy and just plan wrong. Purebred dogs are not races, nor are they types, they are just man made from a few founder dogs taken from the mass population of mongrel dogs. Sad isnt it? and this is what people are supporting. Put it this way, if I found out that a dog has champion conformation lines I would be running,not walking away from the sale. I would be wiser to pay the same amount for a mixed breed and possibly have less problems. :wink:

Here read this article, it makes a lot more sense than what I am having a hard time saying. It will explain to you what a purebred dog is and why its so unhealthy for dogs as a population. :wink: I am not putting down dogs I am just a concerned dog lover and I fear for the life of our dogs what purebred breeders are doing to them. Its a real horror story, far far worse than any doodle breeding you can imagine.

[url]http://seppalasleddogs.com/documents/pbdb21c.htm[/url]

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Matty'] I am just a concerned dog lover and I fear for the life of our dogs what purebred breeders are doing to them. Its a real horror story, far far worse than any doodle breeding you can imagine.
[/quote]

Really. So a good breeder importing a stud from another state or even country - so as to not only get the best possible breeding, but also to expand the gene pool - or a good breeder who tests their dogs to make sure they are sound and capable of doing the job(s) they were originally bred for . . . they are somehow worse than someone doing something like this?

[quote name='Mutts4Me']
[img]http://www.puppyhavenkennel.com/images/Kennel%20Pics/kennel21.jpg[/img]
Bichon Females Being Exposed To A Yorkie Male To Make Yorkie-Chons

[img]http://www.puppyhavenkennel.com/images/Kennel%20Pics/kennel30.jpg[/img]
Beagle Females Being Exposed To A Pug Male To Make Puggles[/quote]

Of course the pictures are not of poo/doodles, but they're probably being bred the same way. You keep on saying that this hybridization is a good thing because it's expanding the gene pool, but the breeders [b]are not doing it for the good of the dogs,[/b] they are doing it for MONEY. They are throwing together all kinds of breeds, giving them cute names, and capitalizing off of it. They're not concerned whether those dogs are in good health or good representatives of the breed, they just want a cute new name.

I'm sorry, but all your posts along these lines sound like sloppy, choppy, regurgiations of Cassie's numerous "purebred mongrel" posts. Those arguments certainly have valid basis, but they shouldn't be taken to extremes. You've said "What do you call a mixture of a German Pinscher, Rottweiler, Manchester Terrier and Greyhound = a Doberman Pinscher" so many times,* but that's just ridiculous. All those breeds were used in the creation of the Doberman, but there are different amounts of each invloved, and careful selection (and several generations) had to be put into it before you had your foundation dogs. You can't just mix them together and miraculously have a Doberman. Get real.

And trust me, I understand the dangers of inbreeding. Did you know that every white tiger you see in captivity here or elsewhere is the direct descendant of a white male (Mohan) captured in 1951 and bred to one of his daughters to create white cubs? And that white tigers are so "rare" because most of them are stillborn, die young, or have health problems? I've seen the results of inbreeding, and it's not pretty. I hate that any Pit Bull I get will almost certainly be the result of inbreeding, because that breed is heavily inbred even today. I hate that so many purebreds are inbred and the gene pool is so limited, but that doesn't mean there aren't good breeders out there, and it certainly doesn't mean that people willing to pay big bucks for a "more genetically diverse" dog are somehow wiser than people willing to pay big bucks for a pure dog that's sound and [i]suited for their intended purpos[/i]. They're not, because they could quite easily get a "more genetically diverse" dog from the shelter for $50 bucks.

*Edit: did a search, and apparently the "doberman" thing has only been said twice, but once was enough, IMO