Dogomania

vaccination question and opp

Jetta_Pup

Should vaccination laws be stricter?  

1. 1. Should vaccination laws be stricter?

ok i was just posting under another thread and got to thinking.
we all know the laws on rabies/licence and being vaccinated by a licenced vet. i know rebies is a devistating disease. but why dont we have these laws for other diseases that are just as bad Parvo/distemp? is it because rabies is the only one that affects humans? right now Knoxville,tn and surrounding counties are having the largest outbreak of parvo they have ever seen. now could that have been eleminated if we had the stricter laws on other vaccinations?

PS this is my 1st time making a poll so if it dont work..ummm lol i would like to hear your oppinions on this. and if it has already been discussed and i missed it can someone link me?

Guest Anonymous

I imagine this subject is near and dear to you. Didnt Jetta come down with a bad case of parvo that required hospitalization ?

So ask yourself this, do you think that stricter laws would have made you get her vaccinated ? IMO, there are still people who dont vaccinate for rabies, and it has been required by law for quite some time I believe.

So my opinion I would like to see stricter vaccination requirements for puppies. I think most vaccinations later in life should be on an as needed basis. But I am not sure that it would actually help much. Typically no one would learn that a pup hadnt been vaccinated for something like parvo until it was too late.

yes. i have been a parvo freak now. i cant change the laws but i did help the rules of the trailer park i live in. the land lords require you show proof of vacs before you can have your pet here. which i think is great. but what if they required a tag for the vaccinations? i know its really hard to do all of that. expecially in counties where animal curelty isnt even a big issue. our humane society has been shut down 2x for neglect causing death in many animals. the animal control officer (we only have 1) and he is a (pardon my french but) hes a &^%^%$$#$#@@ #%$%^*(*() there are so many dogs running loose around here and he wont do anything about it. thats how mine got contact w/ parvo. there is a little boy here he keeps bringing in dogs and his mom didnt want them so he tied one up behind my trailer in the heat (this pup was maybe 7 weeks old max) i gave it water and called animal control and they never showed up. so i brought the pup inside. big mistake but i couldnt help it. the boy came for his puppy which i found out later died at the park here where the swing sets are. i called animal control many times in this county about neglect laws dince my dogs were at the vets getting care. these people let a invected puppy wander loose and then just die of this horrid disease. i called knox co. and they said that is indeed animal neglect and could be fined and or jailed for it but we dont live in knox co so they couldnt do a damn thing about it. but im opening it all back up again because that boy has since gotten another puppy and had the nerve to bring it over to my house to show me i told him a few choice words. But im trying to get the county to take the puppy away since i have many witnesses that it was indeed his puppy that passed away at the park. and had been wandering around spreading the disease into the grounds. i also been getting together w/ knox co shelter to make up a parvo/distemp awarness booth at their next expo. Alot of people dont really truly know the devistation that this can cause till they see it. only thing about this is when something this bad happens is when you can divide the good vets from the $$ hungry vets. i didnt know there was such a thing but mine were and i have since found new vets. It cost me one of my dogs and i wouldnt wish that on my worse enemy and i wouldnt wish parvo on Kujo. Me and my husband cryed 5 nights while jetta was at the vets. it was like one of my kids leaving. but what made it worse is they wouldnt even let me see jetta so in reality i dont know what they really were doing to her. there was alot of ordeal w/ the puppy and alot of people think i should have investigated more and tried for a law suit but at the time i just didnt have the energy to take on a vet office.

I do think there should be stricter laws on vaccinations.......
I've heard of so many dopes getting puppies and not getting them vaccinated and then the poor pups go through agonizing deaths from Parvo/Distemper.......it really burns my ass.
They don't realize NO dog is FREE !!!!! :x

Just recently my daughter brought to my attention the fact a JRT breeder (I use this term loosely) sold a papered Parson Jack puppy for $300 to a 15yr. old girl and was willing to take payments from her.........DUH :roll: !!!
Well of course the novelty of the pup wore off and they were trying to get rid of the pup by trying to sell it......Well they wanted to know if I wanted to buy it....and I said no. I said if you have no other options I'll take it and find a good home for her....but of course all these people wanted was some cash back...... :roll:
So as it turns out these people never gave this pup any vaccinations since they took it from the breeder !!!!!!! :o
I told my daughter they were lucky this pup wasn't dead yet. Then their $300 would be 3ft. under. :(
So in the end they got the breeder to take the pup back at almost 6 months of age and he gave them $50 for their trouble........
Doesn't stuff like that burn your ass ????? :evil:

Guest Anonymous

Very sorry that you and Jetta had to go through that. But my question to you is - Why wasnt Jetta vaccinated ? And do you think that stricter laws would have worked to get YOU to vaccinate ? IMO, Vaccinating your own pets is the best way to prevent this tragedy. That and giving out information to anyone that will listen.

Being a part of several on-line communities, you are better informed than your average JQP. But Jetta still wasnt vaccinated for Parvo. So even with better laws how can we expect much change ?

because my husband had dogs his hole life live long full lives and never been vaccinated he never truly seen the danger and truthfully neither did i. i know about rabies because its out there and there IS rabies awarness and laws on rabies. but not on parvo and distemp and w/ the laws and more education i would have had all jettas shots. and some people dont realize they get 3 boosters for a reason. she she had 2 but not the 3rd. and that 1 cost her getting parvo. NOW we know the dangers and what can and does happen. but should everyone that dont truly know find out the way i did....NO there should be more involvement by people and the vets whoom i already said mine were shitty and if they had been doing their job would have warned me better the potentials of danger w/o that 3rd shot.

i'm against making vaccination laws stricter in general, because i want to have control over what goes into my dog's body and i would not appreciate being forced to do something that can harm my dog in the long run.

if the law was limited to establishing immunity in puppies, fine, but people need to be aware that indiscriminate yearly vaccinating isn't a good thing at all.

for a good reference on vaccinations, have a look at this site:
[url]http://www.critteradvocacy.org[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jetta_Pup']i answered your question now i have a question. how did you know jetta had parvo in the 1st place?[/quote]

Thanks. I hear alot about the dangers of parvo. But that could be just the circles I run in. I personally would hate to see legislation that forces dogs to get vaccinated that dont need it. That is already a concern with the rabies vaccine requirement and some senior or immune compromised dogs.

And how did I hear about Jetta ? Its a small world (at least in the dog-related internet sense :lol: ) I think I heard it 3rd or 4th hand.

[quote name='TDG']i'm against making vaccination laws stricter in general, because i want to have control over what goes into my dog's body and i would not appreciate being forced to do something that can harm my dog in the long run.

if the law was limited to establishing immunity in puppies, fine, but people need to be aware that indiscriminate yearly vaccinating isn't a good thing at all.

[url]http://www.critteradvocacy.org[/url][/quote]

You could still have control over what went into your dogs body by having titers done, this would tell you if the dog needed anymore vaccination.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd rather be safe than sorry........ :wink:

[quote name='TDG']i'm against making vaccination laws stricter in general, because i want to have control over what goes into my dog's body and i would not appreciate being forced to do something that can harm my dog in the long run.

[url]http://www.critteradvocacy.org[/url][/quote]
I could not have said it better myself.
My city cannot even enforce leash-laws, how are they going to go after people who dont vacc. theuir dogs? Legislation is def. not the answer.

well, as far as rabies, the county wont allow titers. the others they will, but the rabies vac has to be administered once every year, or once every two years. no exceptions. there is a lot of wildlife around here that can carry rabies, so I really dont object to it. it seems safer to me than the other possibility...

Me seeing 1st hand what having a distemper + dog and what we had to go through just to find out what he had and seeing what he did to ever1 that just walked by he'd nip at me when I just walked by(I was terrified of my own dog cuz he destroyed all my water babies and ran under my feet causing me to fall down the stairs and he also bit 1 of my friends) We had our then vet call the HS he came from and he'd never been checked for nething of the liking! My parents didn't feel safe having the dog nemore espicaly in a neighborhood full of kids who at the time were 5 and under. 1 simple Vac. could have let him stay with us

oh so what if unlike rabies you could choose? i mean like a 1 yr tag 2 yr tag and so on. im just thinking a bit unrealisticly but still. if there were some sort of regulation and a regulation on animals comming in we could almost wipe out this disease. unlikely but i think its worth a try. but like someone else said its even hard to enforce leash laws. i know in this county i was trying to get the owners of the other puppy for neglect. in knoxville haveing a parvo dog and not trying to have it treated is neglect but here in sevier co its not.

I really believe the key here is education, education and more education.

(IMHO) There will always be people who think they can get away with not obaying the laws, some still don't get the rabies shots for their animals. With education there are fewer willing to take such risks though.

I think most people already in the dog world are aware, at least to some extent that these vac.s are out there before they get a new pet, so info given with each new dog would be a good thing as a reminder to get their pet to the vet right away and accept the vet's advice about what shots it needs and when.

I think the key here is to educate the general public with billboards just as the animal comunity has done in the north east about spay/neuter. The source of parvo seems to come from shelter dogs that were oops litters or byb dogs and these breeders are not going to change even if the law does, but at least if the first time owner already understands that parvo is a horrible way to die and can be prevented they will know before taking that pup home that it needs more than just a rabies shot.