Dogomania

Dog crates?

Crystal

I've never crate trained a dog...but I plan to do so with the new puppy. Any suggestions as to which crate is best, wire crates or the plastic travel kind? Also if anyone has any suggestions as how to make it easier on the puppy and how to get him to accept it, please let me know. When I first heard of it I thought it sounded cruel, but after researching about it I've come to the conclusion that it is a great thing for dog and owner...

I know there are others here more knowledgeable on the subject - but Ill get you started...... I dont know alot of the good/bad on the different types so Im interested in that also...... I have a friend who loves the wire kind because her two can see and sleep beside eachother even though they are in differnt crates, but then my obedience instructor said she knew someones collapsible wire crate actually collapsed on the dog :( have no idea if thats a real concern though or if the person wasnt responsible to secure it properly :roll: personally I use the plastic kind but have thought about getting the canvas type eaasier for traveling.
On the training part, simply start by tossing treats in it and praising big time when he goes in - do not close the door on it at first though. leave the door open so he can come and go and inspect as he wishes at first.
once he is getting used to it close the door for only a minute or two, and give lots of praise - gradulaly increase the time......
I was concerned about crate training Bailey because she was 8 mo old when I adopted her and I had no idea of her prior situation, but she took to it really well, and now I jsut say "crate" from anywhere in the house and she runs right into it! :D if Im going to be gone very long Ialso give her a kong to keep her occupied :wink:
good luck!!

Thanks, seems to sound pretty easy. My puppy will only be 6 weeks old, so hopefully he will take to it pretty easy. I know puppies need to go out often for toilet breaks, but talking of older dogs-Most of the time I am home, I am a stay at home mom, but sometimes on saturdays we are gone some. How long can dog's tolerate the crate. I don't want it to feel like punishment and I know they need toys in there to entertain themselves, but if I had to be gone and couldn't take him with me, about how long can they tolerate it. I'm learning alot now!!!

thank you.......Crate training really sounds better and better the more I read about it. We had dogs when I was little, but they were never trained and they never stayed in the house long. My parents always gave up and moved them outside. We had a boxer once who while we were gone decided to eat the house, he chewed through a lamp cord, plugged in, he ate the lamp shade, shredded toilet paper...Needless to say, he went outside after that. The crate sounds like it could really keep a miscivious dog out of trouble when he can't be supervised.

Crystal, first of all if that is the pup in your avatar, oh my GOD what a doll!
:D (i am such a sucker for the sleeping puppy, but then again, who isn't!)
I like the black wire Precision crate. Remember that dogs are denning animals so it not only keeps their little paws out of trouble but it gives them a safe spot to go. Just associate all positive things with the crate and never use it for punishment. Feeding the puppy in there at first is a good idea too. As far as how long they can hold it, the general rule is one hour per month of age. (this only applies to puppies, not grown up dogg, the longest i have left mine is nine hrs. during a work day but it sounds like you are home more often?) anyway. Good luck-it is worth it! Oh, another thing, the puppy will cry to get let out. Don't give in. It will shortly learn that crying gets him nowhere and he will settle down. If you give in, he will cry every time he wants a hug, and really, who can resist that! :wink:

The pup in the avatar isn't him....although it looks an awful lot like him. I don't have pics of him yet. I just found that one and it was close to what he looked like. I've read not to let them out for whining, but I'll have to build up some will power, it's so sad to hear one whine :( . But I can do it...and yeah I am home most of the time, heck I am home all of the time. thanks for the advice and keep it comin!

I reckon I can offer some objective input about crates since I have about 8374928374023748 crates of different types and sizes laying about my house.

I've always liked the wire crates better. I like that they are more open and the dog isn't so secluded. That might just make ME feel better rather than the dogs, but still...

Also, with the wire crates, they have a tray that simply slides out if they need cleaning where a plastic vari style crate is harder IMO to clean. You either have to virtually climb into it or disassemble it totally.

I figured that when the day came for me to get more crates (we refer to them as kennels), I would buy more wire kennels. I'm actually starting to decide I like the plastic vari kennels better. The thing that pushed that decision is that it contains, err, stuff better. When my dogs were sick with that recent e coli outbreak (and therefore projectile spraying stuff), or when they have the occasional tummy upset, they will get right to the edge of the open wire crates and puke or poop through the bars and outside of them, leaving a mess in the floor, smushed on the bars, sometimes on the dog in the kennel next to them, and still some in the kennel. With the pastic vari style kennels, it stays in the kennel. I mean, it's still a mess and a pain in the butt to have to haul the (larger) kennels out the door to be hosed out, but at least the dog can't projectile spray it everywhere else.

Anyway, wire crates, good because they are airy and open and easy to clean (as far as sliding out that tray). Plastic crates, good because they contain any messes to one spot rather than having them spread all around. It's bound to happen that one day (likely will happen more than once), you're going to come home and find that the dog has pooped or puked in the crate.

I have no experience with the meshy collapsible crates. I can see my dogs trying to eat them.

Edited to add this:
I just realized that (I think) the pastic vari style kennels come in different styles. Some of them have the "slots" on the top AND bottom half, therefore leaving it more open. The ones I have (and like) are totally enclosed on the bottom half and only have the openings on the top half. Nothing gets out of that kennel unless it goes out the gate and that usually doesn't happen.

Just to add my .02 worth, if you go with an open wire crate, stay away from those that are lightweight and flimsy. I once bought what I thought was a super crate for a low price, it was not a 'bad' crate by any means but any dog could have gotten out fairly easily. I could have fixed the 'problem' by clamping all edges together permanently but did not want a crate that could not be folded down.
The 'suitcase' style are all one piece and fold down quite easily for transporting, taking along on vacation etc.
Some wire crates at petedge.com come with a free divider panel so your crate can 'grow' with the pup.
There are drop pin wire crates, kind of a pain to put together the first time but if you are going to put it together and LEAVE it put together, might be an option.
I would definitely NOT recommend a soft sided, fabric crate as your first one for a pup.
I have a plastic vari kennel for my smaller dog, it serves as an end table next to my loveseat. That one I can easily put in my van without taking it apart and take it to shows and such.
Some dogs do like a 'den like' crate, for them a plastic kennel or a wire crate with a blanket draped over all but the front are nice. Do beware though, a bored pup or dog might decide to drag said blankie INTO the crate and chew it to bits or even eat some of it!
If you have not already gotten a crate, you might try looking at [url]www.petedge.com[/url], [url]www.sitstay.com[/url], [url]www.petsmart.com[/url], or just visit your local pet store.

Thanks for all the info...unfortunatley there is no pet store anwhere near here, atleast a 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest petsmart so I don't get to go all that often. I've been looking and thinking and I have decided on the plastic one. I like that they are more den llike, because it will mostly be used at night for sleeping. Most of the time I am home and usually in the living room, we have hardwood floors and I figure I will baby gate the door ways and let him hang out in here with me. If we have a mistake it will be easier to clean from hardwood than from carpet. I don't plan to leave him in the crate to much, just at night, when I have to leave and can't take him, or if I just can't watch him. I think the plastic one are best for me. I have two kids 6 and 1 1/2 I figure with the plastic being more closed in that the pup can get some rest without my kids constantly poking at him. Which I am sure is what would happen with the wire crates. I also think that the cloth like ones are nice, but I figure a pup would eat right through them...maybe when he's older. Thanks so much for your advice It's been a lot of help.

I bought my crate yesterday, got it at walmart. It's the plastic kind I didn't get a huge one I thought I would use this one until the dog gets to big and the buy a bigger one. That way if I change my mind on the type of crate I can switchafter he outgrows this one!