Dogomania

Tipping the Groomer

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Out of curiousity...

I just started working at the Petsmart Salon as a bather. Unlike the groomers, I get paid by the hour, but I do sometimes get tips. Probably 9/10 of my customers have not given a tip, but when I do get one, it's usually about $5. The other day, a lady gave me a $5 tip for cutting her two dogs' toenails :oops: Whereas I have squeezed in some big hairy dogs at the last minute and/or gotten them done extra fast and not gotten a tip.

It's weird, but I try not to get discouraged. Personally, I would never have thought to give a dog groomer a tip (guess it's good I've never used one), so I understand that others don't either. Plus, I do get paid by the hour. I do feel bad when the groomers don't get tips, though, since they work on commission.

So, if you take your dog or kitty to the groomer, do you give a tip, and how much?

to me, dog grooming falls into the same category as hairdressing. I always tip the hairdressers, and if I had my dogs groomed I would definitely tip them, especially for a really nice job. geez, the dog has a bazillion times more hair than the average person, they deserve a tip.....

I'll be interested to see what HF says, since she's a groomer...

As a groomer myself, I would say one out of every 3 - 4 or so people tip. It's usually between $2 - $8 or so, higher around Christmas and higher when the owner brings two or more dogs. Often people round out the bill, for example if the bill comes to $ 37 they will give me $ 40 and call it good.

I am the owner and sole groomer at my shop, however, so that may make a difference. It was once believed in many professions (not all) that one doesn't tip an owner, just the help. I think that's changing, though.

I don't have a tip jar or anything like that and I don't expect tips or view people differently if they don't tip. It's always nice, though!

I have had a lot of customers come right out and ask me if they should tip. My stock answer is: it's perfectly ok if you'd like to and perfectly ok if you don't. And I mean that.

Not too long ago I saw a magazine article that had advice on tipping and how much, for many different professions. For dog grooming they said, yes, you should tip and it's usually between $ 5 - $ 15 per dog, higher in large cities where grooming is usually more expensive.

I like tipping, myself, especially when someone has done a good job. I know how nice it is to add a little something when someone has worked hard.

[quote name='newfiemom']...a groomer does the same service as a hairdresser so they should be groomed accordingly. [/quote]

Yes, please groom me when I do a good job. There's no telling what I'd look like at the end of the day if it weren't for the clients who show their appreciation by grooming me well.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgA0A8EfqVXYgl35Oidq!IdjBvlEADp!a0a7FM6XFsObxumks5fHahApbkP5Er1n6PM*zyic4YmK0jNDiKtiwAopFIV2smELevsS2SJv8RCEvXlNTI18Y7lquPT0JFJq7uyeDSVDO85qIeECKFzYhA/dog%20laughing.gif?dc=4675403504549084446[/img]

[quote name='scotty_lvr']Do you tip the guy who pumps your gas? or loads your groceries? or cleans your house? when does it stop really?[/quote]

What?! Someone pumps your gas and loads your groceries? Oh man I don't get that kinda service around here! :wink:

I do tip the groomer though. I think of it this way, I tip my hairdresser because the next time I come back I don't want to end up with a mullet. Tip her today, she'll do a good job next time. Same with a dog groomer, tip them today, they will be happy to cut your dogs hair next time. It's like a "thank you" and insurance that they will do good next time. At least that's the way I see it.

we groomers do appreciate tips! Somedays, I'll get a lot of tips, and then I go a few days without getting any. Certain repeat customers of mine tip me all the time, though. Beau the Pit Bull that comes in every Wednesday, they give me usually $4, sometimes though, like around Christmas, they'll give me $20 :D I also have a Samoyed, Brady, that comes in once a month, and his owners tip me $20 every time. :D

[quote name='scotty_lvr']Do you tip the guy who pumps your gas? or loads your groceries? or cleans your house? when does it stop really?[/quote]

Actually, on the rare occasion I do have someone pump my gas or load my groceries, I do tip. I reckon I tip for anything that's considered a service, but only if the service was decent. I don't feel obligated to tip anyone, but will do it if I appreciate the service. For example, I usually pump my own gas or load my own groceries, but if the weather is particularly nasty, I'll "hire" someone to do it for me. Since I do appreciate that help, I'll tip to show my appreciation.

That said, I don't think tipping is an obligation. It's a choice. I'm ok with the people who tip (of course), but I'm ok with people who don't. I set my grooming prices high enough to make what I need to make, so tips are just gravy, and I don't have to count on them.

I feel the same way you do, Horsefeathers. I charge what I feel I'm worth, and if someone wants to tip beyond that, that's great, but not expected.

I do feel it's nice to tip bathers though. Usually (not always) they have the grungiest work and they're not paid a whole lot.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='gigishiba']Same buinesss, humans instead, it's funny who does and who doesn't tip. Someone you would expect nothing from hands you a five. Someone you expect a couple bucks from (especially if they have a complimentary haircut ticket) gives NOTHING. Parents (no offense) are the worse. They don't tip squat for cutting kids hair and kids are usually the hardest to cut (wiggle).....[/quote]

LOL, no kidding... I mean, I've never tried to cut a kid's hair, nor will I ever, but a similar thing holds true so far for me. My tippers have been
1) a guy with a gorgeous Doberman who said not to cut the nails (thank you, thank you), so you've got an easy to bathe dog and you don't have to worry about the hardest part, and still get a nice tip

2) a guy with a nice Australian Shepherd whose coat he kept up

and 3) a lady who had me cut her two dogs' nails

all fairly easy to take care of, but the grungy dogs, the spastic dogs, and the last minute dogs have not gotten me anything.

And I don't feel people are obligated to give a tip, nor do I get upset when they don't give me one. Before I started, tips never occured to me. I just find it interesting who does and doesn't tip, so I wanted to ask.

I've never used a groomer or a hairstylist. When my mom goes to get her hair done, she leaves a nice tip. She used to be a waitress and knows how it is to rely on tips. And I think if I ever was at a gas station where someone pumped gas for me, I'd tip them, too, but I've never seen such a place :lol:

well, I look at it this way. I have long, thin hair (down practicly to the middle of my back) and I get it washed, cut, frosted and styled. I have much less hair than a dog, but my "salon stay" costs around 80.00.
and yes I will tip. especially if I really like the cut or the color.

soI bring in my long haired dog, and I want a show poodle cut. or a wash, trim and brushing. your talking, like I said, a bazillion times more hair, and in some cases the dog is about as keen about this idea as most kids....so yes, I would tip, depending on how the "cut" came out when it was all said and done.

its not just a service, its also a styling in affect. I could wash my poodle or newfie, brush it, clip its nails, but if someone else will do it for me, and it comes out looker nicer than it would have if I did it, then yes, I think a tip has been earned.

the word "tip" is actually an acronym, meaning something like "to insure propiety"...defined as the better the tip, the harder the person doing the service will work to make you happy. same as waitressing or bartending or bellboy-ing...

I've always tipped 20% to my hair dresser, waitresses/waiters (who give good service, less if they don't), and my groomer.

I don't tip bag boys at the super market because I carry out my own groceries.
I pull up to self serve at the gas station and pump my own gas as well.

I think when you tip people you see on a regular basis, they remember and do a good job for you and they appreciate your business. :wink: