Dogomania

Plucking ears

boosiebutt

Actually, I groom him myself. He's only ever been to Petco for just a puppy introductory thing (just a brush, wash and dry) and to my vet, who did his face and feet. Now that I see what those are supposed to look like, I've been doing it myself at home. Well, I take Peanut back for a checkup on his ears in 3 weeks. I guess I'll ask for a demo when I go.

Yep, just have them show you at the vet. It really is very easy. And easier if you use powder in the ears. It's easier to grip the ear hair if it is powdered first. All you have to do is grab a few hairs between your thumb and finger and pull(Pull hard and fast. Kinda like when you remove a band-aide). It is easier if you use forceps, but they cost money, any you have to be careful that you don't accidentally grab skin with them.
As far as how often? As often as needed. Hair growth varies from breed to breed, and even dog to dog.

Its very simple. Just turn the ear flap over and hold the dogs head at a slight angle so that the outer ear canal is visible. Use your finger and thumb in a brisk movement and just pluck out any hairs that are in the canal. You can't do it wrong this way, but it may take yor dog a little time to get used to, so you may want to try just touching the ear as routine to desensitise him.