Dogomania

is seven to many

delh1

at the current time we have seven dogs. my mom is home during the day and my siblings and i are home durong the night. our house is large, soon to be larger when we move. we have the time and space but is it too large a number? most of my dogs are extremely mellow and do not require much fussing over, except the GSD which our trainer has yet to take. opinions please.

oh they are, in fact they're getting to be the chubby side. once we get our fenced yard with the new house they're gonna go wild. they don't mind he tie out but with the yard more than one can go out. Sydney just loves being outside rolling in the mud then tramping through the house proudly. i don't think i could live a day without a dog or more, that'd just kill me.

seven would be too many for me :o , but if your family is happy with the situation, and they all receive good care, get plenty of exercise and playtime and eat good food, then it shouldnt be a problem :D like someone else said, though, you may want to look into your city or county limits though if you are concerned about legality. some places say you have to have a kennel license or something similar to have more than a certain number of dogs.....

Guest Mutts4Me

We have seven cats, which is a bit difficult since a couple don't like each other. But we all manage okay. People give us crazy looks when we say "7 cats," and I can't really blame them. I can only take comfort in the fact that 2 will come with me, and at least one will go with my sister; we're both trying to move out asap, too. Plus the last four came from the streets and are in a much better situation in our house.

7 dogs... hey, whatever works. They're more needy than cats in general, and depending on their size they could eat a lot more, and I don't know that I'd ever be able to have more than... say.. 3 dogs, but I plan on living on my own. A family with people there to be with them is better able to handle more.

[quote name='hillside']
HF, you want to answer this one? :lol:[/quote]
If you ask me on the right day, I'll say ONE is too many!
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQAAAH8fdzuPoHbo*VO*k6YkVsjsui1KYGfqoPb3PGet0mEYsc71EksSfApXuugKjHdt1Ms4!cD27pQV8nrn8Vj4rq6VAJyy03G9q5F!DlEQBrQ1EsXXqelpJTvEtU9iCbXugWc4DavzlgkjjI9lCw/crying%20girl.gif?dc=4675436072349453090[/img]

We have ten dogs (and five cats), but no kids, so it works for us. I've cut my work hours way back from what they used to be and the dogs are only home alone for about 6 hours a day (between the time I leave and hubby gets home). We pretty much have a good routine going. What truly sucks is that when one gets sick, they all seem to get sick (anyone remember the recent e coli bout that went through my household?). We do a bit of rescue and we do occasionally foster (anybody want a goofy, lovable, three legged Dobe? Anybody...? :o ).

They're all altered housedogs and, for the most part, get along well. We do not allow squabbling at all, no matter how minor it seems. We used to "let them sort it out" (assuming it wasn't too violent), but have discovered that it can progress into much uglier problems, so now we do not allow any kind of resource guarding, space guarding, or ANY kind of squabbling. We just have too many dogs to give it a chance to escalate and since the dogs pretty much know our boundaries and what we will and won't tolerate, they don't seem to have the urge to push it.

Where we live, there is no limit on the number of domestic pets you can have. If we were breeding, we'd be bound by certain laws regarding that and have to have a kennel license. Since we don't breed, it's nothing we have to worry about. I would not try to have more animals than the law allows, though, if there WERE limits. I wouldn't want to take the chance of being found out and losing my pets, or losing my home AND pets.

We have a decent sized fenced yard, so they do get plenty of exercise chasing squirrels and each other and running the fenceline chasing trucks (never cars, though, for some reason).

It's probably not the life of luxury that a dog in a single or dual dog household might enjoy... for example, our dogs get dollar store bargain items and discarded thrift store toys rather than expensive designer doggie items, and we do a lot more "family" stuff like rolling around on the floor getting trompled and snurfed by them rather than a lot of one on one, but it works for us. They do get individual attention and we do like to think we are in tune with each dogs' quirks. We can tell without looking exactly who is walking through the kitchen by the way the steps sound, who is licking their feet, who just sneezed, and such things.

While I love ALL of my dogs (and cats) dearly, I can honestly say that I don't think we'll ever have so many at one time again. It truly is a lot of work and we don't get to go on vacation much (read never) since the logistics and expense of kenneling so many dogs and cats and the fact that some of them are special needs animals with certain requirements makes it not even worth it to consider any kind of substantial vacation (not to mention not being able to afford it since critter care can be costly). I wouldn't give up a single one of them for the world, but I think in the future, we'll probably be limited to around 2 or 3(ish) dogs. I don't ever want to have more dogs in the future than I can feasibly travel with. At least, that's our intention. :-?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Horsefeathers!"'][quote name='hillside']

It's probably not the life of luxury that a dog in a single or dual dog household might enjoy... for example, our dogs get dollar store bargain items and discarded thrift store toys rather than expensive designer doggie items, and we do a lot more "family" stuff like rolling around on the floor getting trompled and snurfed by them rather than a lot of one on one, but it works for us. They do get individual attention and we do like to think we are in tune with each dogs' quirks. We can tell without looking exactly who is walking through the kitchen by the way the steps sound, who is licking their feet, who just sneezed, and such things.

While I love ALL of my dogs (and cats) dearly, I can honestly say that I don't think we'll ever have so many at one time again. It truly is a lot of work and we don't get to go on vacation much (read never) since the logistics and expense of kenneling so many dogs and cats and the fact that some of them are special needs animals with certain requirements makes it not even worth it to consider any kind of substantial vacation (not to mention not being able to afford it since critter care can be costly). I wouldn't give up a single one of them for the world, but I think in the future, we'll probably be limited to around 2 or 3(ish) dogs. I don't ever want to have more dogs in the future than I can feasibly travel with. At least, that's our intention. :-?[/quote]

You have said exactly what I would have.

I have 6 dogs (Plus 1 foster) and 7 c@ts (Plus 1 foster and 1 I have no clue about PLUS 4 that belong to a friend of mine)...also the one ferret and three parrots. I won't allow that many in this house again. In fact the ferret was a compromise between hubby and I. I was considering another dog but he said no so I asked for a ferret...it took about 2 hours but I broke him down.