Dogomania

dog cancer experience....?

Baileysmom

This is something I will probably call my vet about, but I know shes busy, so I thought I'd bring it up here first.......
Most of you know Bongo was diagnosed with cancer about 2 wks ago - specifically squamous cell carcinoma, in his upper jaw area (it was first thought to be a tooth abcess) We know he is leaving us, and the vets first "prognosis" was anywhere from a few weeks up to a couple months.
I havent been able to find alot of information on this particualr type, toher than she said it is slow to spread, but is very aggressive and "nasty" :(
So far Bongo is ok - the tumor is getting larger, but he is still eating, though not as much. He has been having trouble pooping and is getting pumpkin with his food as well as the med sulfasalazine for colitis. the vet thinks it is unrelated to the cancer though.....
what I have been wondering lately though is - what can we expect to happen from here?? will he jsut slow down more? act in pain? anything specific we may see that would tell us the end is getting nearer ?? he doesnt show his pain much as it is, and I do remember the vet saying its easy to "wait too long" in that case (ie- they are in massive pain before they really show it) I am very grateful for having this time and being able to spoil him knowing we dont have much more time with him, but I also wish I knew the "right time" - obviously we want him to be around as long as possible and not pts before he's "ready", but I also dont want him to suffer......... :cry: any ideas or experience with this??

Thanks again - I have no idea how far into it they caught it :oops: the first time we saw the lump it showed up very suddenly the beginning of september, he had several teeth removed then (thinking it was the abcess) after all that, the swelling went down, but never went away completely - and then seemed to be getting bigger starting a month or so ago......... he was seen again about it about 3-4 weeks ago and was diagnosed jsut over 2 wks ago now........ so thats where we are :roll:

He's hanging in there - sleeps alot, but he does still get up and bark at the door/windows (a wonderful habit Bailey taught him :roll: )
he still eats, but not as much and I can tell it hurts :( I can see that the lump is bigger and his eye on that side doesnt open as far as the other side.... I really wish he could tell us how he feels, because I really dont want him to suffer and he's one of those "strong, silent" types and Im afraid we won't know its time until he's really hurting bad :cry:

[quote name='Baileysmom']He's hanging in there - sleeps alot, but he does still get up and bark at the door/windows (a wonderful habit Bailey taught him :roll: )
he still eats, but not as much and I can tell it hurts :( I can see that the lump is bigger and his eye on that side doesnt open as far as the other side.... I really wish he could tell us how he feels, because I really dont want him to suffer and he's one of those "strong, silent" types and Im afraid we won't know its time until he's really hurting bad :cry:[/quote]
Aww bailysmom I'm so sorry I've lost 2 dogs in my life we put 1 to sleep cuz he was old and everything in him was going including vision. He told us it was his time when he got out 1 morning and went to our neighbors and sat on their porch waiting to come in. Then we were kinda forced to give up our lab/pitbull mix cuz of my rotten friend.

[quote name='Baileysmom']we have lost way too many this past year :cry: last february we had to put my sons pom to sleep he was aging fast, had no teeth, was blind, deaf and then suddenly over the course of 2 days became paralyzed :( then in the fall we lost 3 foster puppies and their mom to parvo :cry:[/quote]
Idk if this is related but I've been around a distemper+ dog but we didn't have him long after that cuz he snapped at everyone and the HS we got him from failed to mention that he wasn't socialized and he wasn't good with kids!