Dogomania

Spay and Neuter $$$?

boosiebutt

I made an appointment for Pixie's spay. I am cash poor right now, so I asked how much it would cost. Peanut's neuter cost $400-ish, including a laser neuter, a blood test for $40-$50, and removing some baby teeth for probably another $50. So that would leave just the surgery/anesthesia at about $300. The nurse said that Pixie's surgery at about $232. Can that be right? I had assumed it would be more for Pixie than for Peanut? Any ideas?

Wow, I have never heard of a spay or neuter being that much! :o Females usually do cost more than males (unless theres a problem with neutering the male).

Hmmm, I think you may have been cheated out of your money before. :-? Just my opinion...

I would check other places to see if you can get it cheaper because that sounds a bit high to me.

I got the bloodwork done just because it was there and I was all worried that something could go wrong. I don't think I'll get it done for Pixie though, now that I know that it's not really necessary. I read somewhere that it can cost $100 more for a laser spay, so I bet that's it. I don't really know of any other vets that I'd go to, since I trust this one I'm at now, as opposed to the crappy place I went before. And I prefer to stick with the laser too, as it's supposed to have less chance of complications, and less swelling and inflamation and so less discomfort, quicker healing, etc.

Basically they use a laser scalpel instead of a standard one.

[img]http://animalhealthcare.com/laser.gif[/img]

[quote]WHY LASER SURGERY?

Less pain-The laser seals nerve endings as it "cuts," so your pet may require less
anesthesia during the operation, reducing the risk of complications. Pain after
surgery is also reduced.

Less bleeding-The laser seals small blood vessels during surgery.

Less swelling-Laser energy does not crush, tear or bruise because there is no
physical contact with the tissue.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR MY PET?

Reduced risk of infection-The laser sterilizes as it removes diseased tissue, killing bacteria that cause infection.

Precision-The laser can remove unhealthy tissue without affecting or removing
surrounding healthy tissue.

Quick return to normal activities-Healing is rapid and there is less post-operative discomfort.

Laser procedures reduce the trauma to your pet, improving healing, and may shorten the time spent in the veterinary hospital.[/quote]

[quote name='kendalyn']Spaying and neutering are such simple procedures that I really don't think you need to spend the extra money on the laser stuff.

Those prices sound ridiculous though. If you can be OK with the conventional surgery, I think you'll be able to find lower prices elsewhere.[/quote]
I agree with Kendalyn.......
I think you're getting rooked.
I had a Large animal Vet do my 2 Jacks and he only charged me $65.
They went in the morning and I picked them up and brought them home by dinner !! :wink:

While I don't have much experience with laser surgeries, I've stood in on literally hundreds of traditional "knife" spays and neuters and very rarely see much blood. Usually, the ones in heat are the ones that will bleed a bit more if it's going to happen. I don't know if my vet is just very skilled, or if that's the norm (very little blood), but I'm comfortable enough with the traditional surgery to not spend the extra money for laser. I also see very little in the way of swelling or inflammation afterward. I'm sure it does depend on the vet a lot. I'm not saying that there aren't benefits to laser surgery vs. traditional surgeries. Only that, at least regarding a routine op like spay or neuter, I'm comfortable enough with the "old" way.

PPG, the pre-surgery bloodwork in our clinic used to be optional for reasons you mentioned, but my vet has changed protocol and requires it on all surgeries, teeth cleanings, and just about anything that's going to be anesthetized. He just builds it into the cost of the surgery now instead of having it separate. We've seen young and seemingly healthy animals crash, though not often, and he has decided not to give people the option of declining the bloodwork. The surgeries will cost the same with it or without it now, and since it doesn't save money to decline it, no one does.

Cost in our clinic for a spay on a small dog runs around $130-$150... not sure the exact amount since I get a discount and, to be honest, almost never look at my bill, anymore :oops: , but that's pretty close . That would include the bloodwork, anesthesia, pain shot, surgery and the subsequent re-check when the sutures are removed.

I have to agree that what you're paying seems a lot more than I'd expect in a more rural environment and away from areas like NYC or LA.

Guest Mutts4Me

I paid about 150 to get my Sophie kitty spayed last year, just as a comparison

Surgery: 64
PAP: 40
Laser: 40
Pain Med: 12

As far as laser goes, I like the idea of it. I don't know if it actually is better, but I'll still pay for it in a couple months when Harley kitten goes in.

The pups from my last litter cost about $130 au dollars to do and our vets go on size for a Lab its around $180 and its normally more for girls than boys. Laser surg sound like alot of money but I guess if you feel more comfortable with it and can afford it then go with it. On another note if shopping around for a better deal beware if it sounds to good to be true, it often is. We had one of our dogs done years ago where the vet was about $20 cheaper It ended up costing us around $100 more plus time and effet to clear up golden staf. :roll:

[quote name='hicksstar']The pups from my last litter cost about $130 au dollars to do and our vets go on size for a Lab its around $180 and its normally more for girls than boys. Laser surg sound like alot of money but I guess if you feel more comfortable with it and can afford it then go with it. On another note if shopping around for a better deal beware if it sounds to good to be true, it often is. We had one of our dogs done years ago where the vet was about $20 cheaper It ended up costing us around $100 more plus time and effet to clear up golden staf. :roll:[/quote]
Ours was done by our vet

Keep in mind that your location plays a role in how much vets charge. I have gotten quotes for my 7 year old Akita to get spayed. I only trust 2 vets to do the procedure,including bloodwork and everything the costs ranged between $285-$400.
I could go to some hack and pay under $100, but I prefer to make sure that the vet doing this procedure will me monitoring bp, etc. in the unlikely event that something goes wrong.
Also, spaying a 100lb. 7 year old keeter is not as easy as a 8 mo. old pup.

there are also websites you can go to (search on cheap neuter or spay) that are affiliated with those sites. I got a neuter for Ford for $20.00. its done by an accredited vet, who has joined the program. I sent the program a check for $1.00 and they sent me a list of names of vets in my area. I checked up on the closest and he had an excellent reputation and no "dings" on his record, so I used him. Many vets join this program simply to encourage people to neuter their pets. I dont think they make anything off of it.

Well, I dropped Pixie off at the vet this morning. Court, Peanuts testicles had not dropped, so that could also explain the pricing. I'm not really all that put out by the cost, and I feel comfortable with this vet and laser surgery. Plus Pixie is so sensitive as it is (poor girl cried all night when she got her last set of puppy shots), so anything that could cause less swelling and quicker healing is good!

Those prices don't sound bad to me -- it just sounds like they are not heavily subsidized and the vet is charging for the laser (which is very expensive for a clinic to buy).

Most vets subsidize the cost of spay/neuter quite heavily... then there are a lot of low-cost programs as well, so that's why there is such a dramatic price difference in all the posts. If speuters were charged like other surgeries (for the surgeon's time, prep, supplies, bloodwork, etc.) then it really SHOULD be running several hundred or more dollars. However, most vets charge less in order to help control pet overpopulation. Some vets even lose money or just break even on the procedure.

That also usually means that everything is done "bare bones" unless you ask for extra pain meds, bloodwork, an IV, etc. it is often not done. I believe pre-op bloodwork is important for ANY animal undergoing surgery, even if they are young and otherwise healthy. Likewise, they should get an IV if there are any risk factors and of course, always get adequate pain control. These are just simple, easy things that can make a difference between life and death or between a horrible and a comfortable experience for your pet.

As far as the stuff for the spay goes, this is the
stuff you should ask about...

Ask about pre-anesthetic bloodwork. Many folks think this tests to see if
they are "allergic" to anesthesia. What it does is test the function of the
internal organs and blood cells to be sure the dog's system can handle
metabolizing the anesthesia. And just because your dog had bloodwork a
couple of years ago, or even six months ago, doesn't mean he/she doesn't
need it now. Dogs age a lot faster than we do. Internal organs can
degrade fast. If the organs aren't up to snuff, surgery protocol needs
to be changed or cancelled.

What about IV fluids? Blood pressure drops under anesthesia. That can be
fatal. IV fluids help keep the BP up. It also helps keep up body
temperature (hypothermia kills, too). They help the organs metabolize
the drugs more efficiently. Also, there is an open vein in case
emergency drugs are needed.

What kind of anesthesia? Preferably, you want sevoflurane (1st) or
isoflurane (2nd) gas anesthesia. Injectable only anesthesia isn't as
safe.

Make sure they intubate the dogs with an endotracheal tube. This will
help prevent possible aspiration pneumonia, which can be fatal.

Ask if they use any induction drugs, or if they gas the animals down.
We use either propofol or valium/ketamine to induce depending on
bloodwork and other potential health problems, or sometimes we gas the
animals down (depending on the situation).

How are the pets monitored during and after surgery? Are they on a
pulse oximeter or EKG? Does a technician stay with the pet until they
are ready to be safely extubated?

Ask if they give any pain relief.

Make sure they don't use stainless steel sutures (your dog will never
be able to get an MRI if one was needed). Most cheap spay/neuter
places use stainless steel sutures.

Often times the spays/neuters are able to be done very cheaply because
they cut corners & costs. Cheap steel sutures, cheap anesthetics that
aren't as safe, no pain relief, etc.

Is it worth saving a few bucks if it means your dog's comfort or safety?
Something to think about...