Dogomania

Leather furniture and dogs: yes or no?

JackieMaya

There's a beautiful leather recliner that I'm in love with that would match my futon just perfectly. But how does leather stand up to dogs? Jackie and Maya are allowed on all the furniture. They don't ever claw at the furniture, just climb up there and take a nap.

My sister-in-law said that leather is great for dogs, but other people say no. What do you think?

I guees i don't have an option :roll:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAfA*gUFuH9tTctZ3A4pl47KWCsQlyR6!3khzbXMtE3Dw*UiiDiUqLiP0GJO7cWZBSM8daUoiwMe0vzQ9ry9jeEPXLo0V1DsH*n!WYlBA4/Pic_451.jpg?dc=4675507927718857943[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgA6A*0UUOJhCs1iwRGzpbXnC0TWkxDctq7x02SEmFksv!Hc3YCza0bE8xr15oNEavNX2wX0ZEge3tVlTykMt4tdnaY4IL2faxaTY!9M8cs/Pic_492.jpg?dc=4675507927722855445[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAAAP4UjuJhCs1iwRGzpcVGoMPSgIbNXnPhic1ILbNIkRI8I7WUG5IDtGm7blHmg5XnbiEnTDy6ABkhTRpt7H*uM9YZgr3LcNDh6KmYhH0/Pic_493.jpg?dc=4675507927726684328[/img]

so i go for Yes. :lol:

We don't have leather, but the microseude.

And I'll tell you what.....that stuff cleans up like nothing else!

All you need to do is use water.

But that couch has been peed on, bled on, spilled on, puked on....and it just wipes off with water.

It doesn't scratch either....like some suede couches have those scratch marks in them......but not this one....it's nice!

My next "new" furniture will be cheap futons embellished with fitted coverings and foofy pillows. I was once considering leather, but I just don't think I want the stress of having to worry about it. One of my cars has leather seats which I thought was a grand idea when I got it. I figured it would be easier to clean with the dogs and all. It is, actually. It also has a puncture from Peaches. She wasn't digging at it or anything. She was simply jumping it or out of it. I reckon it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I have to try to figure out how to get the puncture repaired before it starts tearing. :-?

My friend has leather furniture, she has had to take it back once already because of tears. She had to get these special plastic things to put over her cats nails :o but, with her dogs she still finds that they rip the leather furniture when they jump up on it. She tried even using a dremal to do the dogs nails thinking it would make them more blunt, but it still never helped. I don't know how they do it but she has these scratch marks all over her set. Its burgandy so they really show up big time. When she goes out she has to put other furniture and folding chairs on the leather furniture "just in case" the dogs happen to get up on the furniture.
I don't have leather furniture myself, but after hearing what my freind goes though I would never get it while I have pets.
She has tried to get these scratches or scuff marks out of her furniture but they are actual tears and there is nothing she can do but send the furniture back once again.
'One more thing, I don't find leather too comfortable to curl up on when watching tv. I have sat and watched TV at my friends house and pillows slip off when you try to buch them under your head. I also would never lay back and get really comfortable in case some thing on my clothes tore the furniture. So, for me, I dont find it comfortable.

We don't allow our dogs on our leather furniture at home. Its fairly expensive furniture and our boys are just too big - afraid they would tear the leather.

At the cottage however they are allowed on up on pretty much anything, but its not leather - just wooden furniture with cushions.

However, leather is great in terms of cleaning up various dog fluids. :)

We just got a new sectional ... almost got leather but ended up with durapella ... and white, no less! Buddy is getting extra love and I got him a new baby comforter for the living room because he's not allowed up anymore, poor guy. Just want him to know he's not being punished but I wonder if he feels that way anyhow.