Dogomania

Dog Abuse?

Kerislc

Oh, I am so mad! I took Scout to that one large pet store chain :) to get groomed on Saturday. I brought him into a different location because it was closer to my house. I have always LOVED the other location. They do a great job and they are SO nice to Scout.

As soon as I brought him in, I had a bad feeling. We were on our way to a movie and if we weren't I would have walked right back out. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was bad news.

As you can see, in Scout's picture, his hair is pretty long, but I brush him about 15 minutes a day and condition it often. Yes, of course he gets little mats in it, but they are mostly just tangled because they get brushed out every day.

Well, I went to go pick Scout up and the girl brought Scout out and he was SHAVED! She told me that it was cruel to let my dog's hair grow because it hurt him to be brushed (I guess that is why be gets his brush out of the basket and brings it to me everyday). She told me that he had mats in his hair and that she had to shave him because brushing them out would be cruel and abusive.

I know she just screwed up and is trying to blame me for it. I brushed him the day before and he did not have one mat. Now some of his hair is shaved right next to the skin and some is an inch long. I don't even care about his cut I am just SO angry that she would acuse me of being cruel to my spoiled, pampered, loved puppy.

I am of the opinion that you can keep a dogs hair long as long as you are willing to take on the grooming that goes along with it. Am I wrong?

Sorry, this is so long.

Guest Mutts4Me

My chow mix, Sasha, can't stand to be brushed. She hates it, but I do it on a regular basis. Her hair is not too long, but it is rather fluffy and longish. I don't think it's cruel to let your dog's hair grow long as long as you're willing to take care of it, which you seem to be. And I certainly don't see how taking my dog in to be shaved on a regular basis, when she's already adverse to being brushed, could be any LESS cruel than subjecting her to regular brushings at home (which I don't think is cruel in the first place).

If I were you, I'd write a polite but firm letter to the store manager complaining not only about your dog's uneven shave, but also about practically being accused of animal abuse. That was very offensive, and you should let a manger know how deeply offended you were, and that you won't be coming back to their store for this reason. I'd also give them the number of the place you usually have your dog groomed as a reference so they can tell them that you're a good dog owner who takes care of (including brushing) your dog.

If you did indeed pay for it, get in touch with whatever powers that be and complain. From what I understand, these corporate stores are usually pretty good for refunding money. I think I'd be snapping some photos if I were you.

Sounds like incompetence to me, pure and simple. Even if the dog were matted to the bone, I don't believe they should ever have shaved it down without consent. They could refuse to groom it at all and send it home matted (hypothetically) if need be, but I absolutely do not believe in buzzing down a coated dog without owner consent. I think it would be an easier pill to swallow had they said something like, "oops, boy, did I goof...!" rather than try to insult your intelligence. :x

Fortunately, it is hair and it will grow, but it still would make me angry to be virtually insulted in the face of someone else's incompetence.

Demand a refund. :o

Unfortunatly, I did pay for it. I was too angy and upset to pursue it at the time. The girl that did the cut was already being unreasonable and she would have gotten really bad if I complained too much. I did compain about the cut and made her fix a few things, but half way through I thought she was being to rough with Scout (who is perfectly behaved) so I went in and demanded that she give me my dog back. Thank goodness for those glass windows huh? He was shaking SO bad after that and came home and slept for the rest of the day. Poor little guy! I will send them a letter though. Good idea to use the other store as a reference. They love my dog and fight over who gets to groom him :D .

I wonder if that lady ever has a daughter if she will have the girl's head shaved to avoid being cruel by brushing it...? Come to think of it, did this lady even [i]have[/i] hair? I mean, if brushing is so cruel, and she has long hair herself, I wouldn't even want to associate with her as she would obviously have been torturing herself by brushing her own hair :o I wouldn't trust a person who willingly tortured themselves! <*heavy, HEAVY sarcasm*>

:drinking: :roll:

~Seij

I have heard that some places will shave a dog without asking first. Avoid those places!!!
I think they were being lazy and not doing their job.
A good groomer can tell you right away at the door if what you are hoping for can be done but like all humans some groomers can make mistakes and might find out once they start working on your dog that the matting is too sever. When that happens they should get on the phone with you before they do anything else on the dog! Usually there are two options 1. shave the dog or 2. they can take the extra time, maybe break it up into two visits and dematt the dog and the owners can pay extra for the time and effort to dematt the dog. It

I think you should definitely demand to get your money back, and report her before she destroys another dogs coat. It sounds to me like she shaved him to cover up screwing up the original cut. got rid of the evidence as it were. and no, the coat doesnt have to be kept short if you are willing to take care of it. I had a golden, brushed him every day. he loved it. it was like being petted to him...if he got bad mats that I couldnt brush out without pain, I cut them out. I cut a bur out of Free's coat the other day, because it couldnt be removed without pain otherwise. so no, this girl needs to be reported and you deserve to get your money back....

OMG!!! First of all, a reputable groomer will not shave your dog w/o consent. AND most groomers do a once over with you prior to you leaving and let you know if there may be a need for extra measures. I swear this is unbelievable. In all the days of my grooming I have never heard such crap. Even with matts we would do our damdest to condition and break them up with splitting combs before even thinking of shaving, and then it usually had to do with skin problems or parasites. UGH!!!! I agree whole heartedly with the picture taking idea, get out the ol clicker and take them. This groomer needs a good talking to and you need your cash back at the very least. Poor pupper duppers having to be shaved. tsk tsk on that lady

You have to be careful where you take your dog. One of the girls I work with use to work at PJ's or some big pet store like that and she is always saying "this dog is lucky because at PJ's it would be shaved." :o OMG!

I didn't know the dog is double coated, that is a big NO NO!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']If you did indeed pay for it, get in touch with whatever powers that be and complain. From what I understand, these corporate stores are usually pretty good for refunding money. I think I'd be snapping some photos if I were you.

Sounds like incompetence to me, pure and simple. Even if the dog were matted to the bone, I don't believe they should ever have shaved it down without consent. They could refuse to groom it at all and send it home matted (hypothetically) if need be, but I absolutely do not believe in buzzing down a coated dog without owner consent. I think it would be an easier pill to swallow had they said something like, "oops, boy, did I goof...!" rather than try to insult your intelligence. :x

Fortunately, it is hair and it will grow, but it still would make me angry to be virtually insulted in the face of someone else's incompetence.

Demand a refund. :o[/quote]

Courtnek, you read too fast. I already posted. :P

My groomer has had atleast 40 yrs experiance so when we ask her to shave Dahlila she does it so it's short but not right next to skin u can still tell she has shihtzu in her lol. See the photos below right after cut. :D I'd tell ur other groomer about this experiance.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/shootingstar167/Dahlila3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/shootingstar167/Dahlila2.jpg[/img]

Well, I took Scout to the groomer that I normally do and she fixed him so he looks A LOT better. He is still short, but at least he is short all over. I talked to the manager at the good location and she said she would talk with the other manager. She also said I wasn't the first to complain and told me that next time I brought Scout it they wouldn't charge me.

Scout is still getting used to his short hair. He LOVES being outside and usually sits on our back porch all day. Kasey walked out yesterday and he was out there shivering. He brought him back in the kitchen and he just went right back out the doggie door. What a silly dog! I did go buy him a sweater to keep him warm. See? More money spent on this stupid incident.

Guest Mutts4Me

Well, I'm glad everything's worked out (kind of). I'd still write if I were you. The mere audacity of that girl accusing someone of animal abuse because she screwed up... I wouldn't be able to let it go :evil:

That's just insane! I would have been just furious! I'm glad that you contacted the managers (and found out that your's wasn't the first complaint!).

Jackie's ears aren't that long, but she has real long hair over them. I keep it long because I think it gives her character. Jackie and Maya wrestle a lot, so Jackie does gets little mats occasionally behind her ears, but I take care of it. I would be fit to kill if someone cut the long hair on her ears!

Glad you got your pup looking better now!

Here's a picture showing Jackie's long ear hair. It's there to stay!
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQAjA3EZ2ikrS8gJKYfE4xHHinw3Bn7EbbJg2qPyjOpx7zfWwrM8WAwc8onRYPxuYYSrzM59emZuPXx5PWBO0bLgZAJ8DMDE3EOC0rQd*UQTsUADq9O4QIWAg9LLXeRb/jackie.jpg?dc=4675506885619966887[/img]