Dogomania

our german shepherd attacked my sister!

delh1

Whatever the process, I think the dog needs to be out of that house. When we first got married, my husband brought home a beautiful Pit that he found at animal control. He was great for my husband, but everytime I went near this dog he would growl and show his teeth. I had a really bad feeling about this dog and did not trust him. I couldn't live with a dog that I was afaid to be alone with.

I cried every night because I felt so bad, but I knew we could not keep this dog. What about when kids came over? Kasey finally found a single friend of his with a big yard, lots of time and no kids. The dog is doing great with him, but only because his new owner is not afraid and has worked A LOT with him.

The point is that no one should ever be afraid in their own house.

our trainer is going to get him. she breeds GSDs and has been a trainer for 17 years. i had no say when we first got him. while i was at home my mom and sister went out and got this dog. i didn't like this dog from the beginning but my mom "just had to have him" being only 14 yrs old i couldn't do anything about the situation, especially when i try to tell my mom it's a bad idea but she wont listen. i really don't care what his problem is, i just want him out of here. i love dogs but when i have a 4 yr old nephew it gets scary. some of your suggestions are great but i'm going to let my trainer deal with it. i've been around a lot of dogs, my mom used to have a rescue and i volunteer at the humane society and besides the great pyrenees i've never been around a dog like this and i hate. and it's not just my sister, this morning he bit me in the leg, in this situation i was just standing at our ferret's cage giving them a treat when he did it. and i agree he doesn't belong in this house

glad to hear about the trainer. please keep in touch, I'd be interested to hear how she handles this situation. I am sorry you too were injured by this dog, and please realize, he may end up needing to be put down in the end. I hope that doesnt happen, but sometimes its the only choice in these situations.

best of luck

It should be put down. My experience with that type of dog is....if they do it once they will do it again. My sister had one, my neighbors have one that attacked a customer and other dogs. It wasnt once either.
It seems to be a changing world, at least around here. Its like the dogs have more rights than humans do. They get too many chances. They should NEVER get a second chance.

I think that depends on what the trainer decides. I also think a vet visit is in order, for bloodwork, but as long as its out of the OP's house it could be trainable and she doesnt have to fear it anymore. All dogs have the potential to bite. some dogs need a stricter and more structured environment than others. I want to see what the trainer has to say.

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']It should be put down. My experience with that type of dog is....if they do it once they will do it again. My sister had one, my neighbors have one that attacked a customer and other dogs. It wasnt once either.
It seems to be a changing world, at least around here. Its like the dogs have more rights than humans do. They get too many chances. They should NEVER get a second chance.[/quote]

Why shouldnt they get a second chance?
Is it the dogs fault that whoever owned him/her didnt train and raise him properly? Is it the dogs fault that maybe he has a high prey drive and needs a serious handler and a job to do? No.
and in the correct hands this dog can probably be rehabilitated and trained right and never bite someone again.
if the dog is with a good trainer, the trainer will know if the dog can be rehabilitated or not.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']It should be put down. My experience with that type of dog is....if they do it once they will do it again. My sister had one, my neighbors have one that attacked a customer and other dogs. It wasnt once either.
It seems to be a changing world, at least around here. Its like the dogs have more rights than humans do. They get too many chances. They should NEVER get a second chance.[/quote]

Is it the dogs fault that whoever owned him/her didnt train and raise him properly? Is it the dogs fault that maybe he has a high prey drive and needs a serious handler and a job to do? No.
and in the correct hands this dog can probably be rehabilitated and trained right and never bite someone again.
if the dog is with a good trainer, the trainer will know if the dog can be rehabilitated or not.[/quote]

well said!

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']It should be put down. My experience with that type of dog is....if they do it once they will do it again. My sister had one, my neighbors have one that attacked a customer and other dogs. It wasnt once either.

if the dog is with a good trainer, the trainer will know if the dog can be rehabilitated or not.[/quote]

Yes, well said ... I actually have SUCH mixed feelings about it. Of course they should get a second chance but this one it's like ... a third? fourth? And it really is never the dog's fault, but a human created danger is still a danger.

according to the post, there was two bites. both against the sister. now I dont know if the sister did something to cause it, or if the dog just didnt like her...some dogs dont like certain people. Hopefully the trainer, who is experienced in this, will be able to find a good place for this dog. this is not a maul situation, or a seriously bad biting. the dog may be rehabable...

I am not one of those people who think dogs are never wrong, and only people are. I have seen both sides of the coin. But I have also "broken" a fair number of dogs from aggression in my years, and they became good and loved house pets. Under strict rules. and guidelines. Guidelines that require someone willing to be strict and "dont jack with me" with the dog.

once that is established, all the dogs I "broke" settled down and became lovable and worthy housepets. Some dogs just need more discipline, and more sturcture...

he was at an old woman's house but she fell ill so she returnd him to the breeder. i guess i have to agree that we unintetionally messed the dog up. it's going to be about two weeks before our trainer can take because she's moving to a bigger and better training facility at the moment and so has no room for the dog at the present time. so i'm punching a lot of pllows during this time to keep myself from going crazy. but while we do have him we've become stricter. and i don't think it was my sister's doing because (i've just found out) before my dad's dog and the GSD started fighting and he put the the dog out there, his girlfriend came over and the dog crushed her hand, broke her thumb bone and a couple of other finger bones. Since our trainer can't itfor two weeks we're taking it up when we take Tucker for his training session. Our trainer already said when she first met the dog that she doesn't trust it.

[quote name='desertlady'][quote name='AllAmericanPUP'][quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']It should be put down. My experience with that type of dog is....if they do it once they will do it again. My sister had one, my neighbors have one that attacked a customer and other dogs. It wasnt once either.

Yes, well said ... I actually have SUCH mixed feelings about it. Of course they should get a second chance but this one it's like ... a third? fourth? And it really is never the dog's fault, but a human created danger is still a danger.[/quote]

it is kinda like the dog has had a second third and fourth chance, but not really, cause they never did any extra training or NILF or contacted a behaviourist til now, they basically just let it go on and on and didnt seek any help(from what they posted anywayz)

[quote name='delh1']he was at an old woman's house but she fell ill so she returnd him to the breeder. i guess i have to agree that we unintetionally messed the dog up. it's going to be about two weeks before our trainer can take because she's moving to a bigger and better training facility at the moment and so has no room for the dog at the present time. so i'm punching a lot of pllows during this time to keep myself from going crazy. but while we do have him we've become stricter. and i don't think it was my sister's doing because (i've just found out) before my dad's dog and the GSD started fighting and he put the the dog out there, his girlfriend came over and the dog crushed her hand, broke her thumb bone and a couple of other finger bones. Since our trainer can't itfor two weeks we're taking it up when we take Tucker for his training session. Our trainer already said when she first met the dog that she doesn't trust it.[/quote]

if the trainer doesnt trust it and the dog cant be rehabiliated and the best is to be PTS, then that's fine, sad but fine, at least you and us know you tried.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='desertlady'][quote name='roo']:lol:
did anyone read [u]all[/u] of the posts
DELH1 has written yet[/quote]

Well I flipped through just because you asked ... didn't read every one straight through, but enough so I wonder what is your point?[/quote]

- Bump - Roo if you're there, why are you seemingly ridiculing this other poster? if you don't mind answering. I'm just really curious.

• 4 years later...

you seem to be so eager to blame the dog, dogs react and behave like this for a reason. this dog clearly has no sense of where he belongs in the family hierarchy and abandoning him alone did nothing to reinforce where he does belong. Agression issues are somethign that have to be dealt with immediatly. Eutanizing the dog is not hte answer unless you have exhausted all avenues. Train the dog work with the dog socialize the dog, bring the dog to a trainer get help if you need help dont leave the dog alone to suffer or kill the dog... people like you make me sick.