Dogomania

Snake bite......RIP Gem

Aussie_Chick

Yesterday I let the dogs out in the morning for their usual romp in the grass/potty break when I heard Gemma yelp in pain.I quickly raced out to see what was wrong with my baby and saw her lying on the ground and a brown snake slithering away in the opposite direction.

We took her to the vet as quick as we could,but unfortunately the nearest vet is 400km (roughly 4 hours)away and by the time we got there she had already passed to the rainbow bridge :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm numb right now,I've cried all the tears I could and now there's a dull ache in my stomach I can't shake.

She was an awesome once in a lifetime dog and I'll miss her forever :cry: :cry:

oh how awful....you must be way out there for the vet to be 4 hours away. I am SOOOO sorry..can they give you antivenom to keep in your house, since you are so far away from the vet? I could easily instruct you in giving shots if necessary....

let me know if I can help please...

So sorry for your loss.

Leah -
[quote]Australia's deadliest snakes are the brownsnakes (Pseudonaja spp.)[/quote]
[url]http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html[/url]
[quote]Sudden and relatively early deaths have been recorded.[/quote]
[url]http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html#brown[/url]

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have heard that a lot of people in the outback keep injectable vitimin c in the fridge in case of snake bite. I have also heard of people giving their dogs [b]massive[/b] doses of vitimin c by crushing the tablets mixing with water and siringing into the dogs mouth.

Thankyou for all your thoughts,I really appriciate them.

I went into town today and talked to the vet about keeping antivenom in case it ever happens again,and he said he would gladly give me some and instructed me how to do it properly.

I'm glad I have this now,it makes me feel better.But i just wish i had gotten it a week before hand. :(