Dogomania

help with medicine please!

Baileysmom

Ok, I am trying to give both Bailey and Bongo robitussin DM for their coughs (Bongo has jsut once or twice, but I dont want to take the chance)
and they hate it!! What can I do to make it easier for them and me??
Bailey spits it out :roll: and I tried this morning to squirt it on bread (not even sure if thats ok to do?) and Bongo eventually ate it, but Bailey still refused. I hate to make it a torture for Bailey by pinning her and forcing it since she is so fearful anyway, but she needs to have it, what can we do?

Well I'm no expert, but I have a question. Are you using a syringe? If you are, is there any way to squirt the stuff in one side corner of their mouths closer to their throats?

I once had to dose a cat some years ago using this technique, and the cat wasn't able to spit it out since the liquid was far back in her mouth.

Sorry they are not cooperating. It's so nasty tasting I really can't blame them. :o

Hopefully others will catch your post and offer some wisdom. :fadein:

Man, I don't know if I can be of much help, since I still have a such a hard time with meds for Peanut. I just cuddle cuddle cuddle, and ask if I can look at his teeth, then squirt (I don't know if you could get a syringe for this from the vet?) in behind the teeth. Pixie had amoxycillin which apparently is quite yummy, so now she likes the syringe.

Maybe you could try mixing with a small bit of wet dog food, or cut up hotdogs?

Whoa! She's one determined pup!

This may sound wierd, but I use it with my cats. If all else fails I'll bet she is small enough to wrap up in a large towel with only her head sticking out. This might curtail her struggles somewhat if she were bundled up, although I'm not sure this would work with as effectively with a canine.

It might be worth a go if the food doesn't work. :o

wow it sounds like a real task! :o Putting her between your legs facing away from you in usually the best way, then approach her from the side with the meds in a syringe and squirt. Our dogs take pills like sweeties because when they were pups we would give them a worm tab like a reward and they were that greedy that they wouldn't think twice. The same goes with the syringing. We used to put water in a syringe so that they would be used to it. Same deal with our cats and we don't have any problems now :)

Guest Anonymous

i have to give boonie a vitamin that is liquid and he hates it ;i just pin him down adn shove the syringe in the back of him mouth and the just start pushing it in slow and he ends up getting hte whole thing then runs away lool

To get Scout to take his antibiotics, I would put some kibble and shredded shredded cheese in the palm of my hand and mix it with the medicine (yeah, kind of gross). Then I acted like I was giving him a treat (I would make him sit, etc.). That is the only way I could get it in his mouth. He would scream and cry and bite if I just tried to squirt it in his mouth. I am not sure if it was the right thing to ado, but it worked.

HOld your dog, and blow in its nose, when it is still in shock of the blowing in the nose stick the syringe in the side of the dogs mouth and get the med down the dogs throat. Just short blows in the nose, it works for nail trimming too. Make sure you don't make every thing into such a big ordeal for your dog. We can make our dogs dislike tasks that we have to perform. I rescued a Husky which was really bad for doing nails and giving med's after working with him for a little while he is now great for these tasks. He is so good that when he got a little too friendly with a porcupine he sat with his mouth open while I got the quills out of his tongue and between his teeth.

Thanks matty and everyone :) I was hoping to find some way of putting it in food and "tricking them" but I tried several ways last night and they refused all of them :x I was left with holding them and putting it in the back/side of their mouth...... it took three of us and we did the blowing deal with bongo, they hated it and made nasty faces at me for atleast 30 mins after, but it was down :roll: *sigh* it jsut seems there must be an easier way, pills are so much easier!