Dogomania

Your experience with Hip Dysplacia???

Well, not the results I was hoping for, but at least we know now. Taurus does have Hip Dysplacia, but the Dr. says it is a mild case, and suggested Glucosamine Supplements. We bought some right away and started him on them allready with dinner tonight... I am hoping that because we have caught it at middle age (he is just about 5 yrs old) and supplement him with the Con Glu, we will avert alot of problems later on in life. Anyone have a dog that was diagnosed later on in life with mild HD?

Taurus is still quite out of it... He was whining and crying the whole way home from the vet. :cry: His tongue has regained full control though now... :ok: which is good because boy did he look goofy!

Here is his daddy, trying to steal a smooch! Taurus says...I just got my tongue to stay in my mouth, and I aint taking it out again!
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0dQDzAmQllb8rFbJtNkbOiUx*2M5QTuZDGYoTUk4uuP2yeo8hcRqUTgo7z1ZioFRn8D!QNKMyyUon7nPX2kU*LJe28qPfvInpAtD85GeQeCTyJO79GtrSGELssprIqcpyCy1H4R6Cu7PV6cLC71bOllPc9N6NB1Wnzbo0Tj6sFwQ/trying%20to%20snag%20a%20kiss.JPG[/img]

Any idea why his mouth would be so red? I though perhaps he was sticking his nose out of the kennel he was in?? Not too sure, but hes not used to being in a crate (if he was) so could be??? Any thoughts??
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YgDhAnsfmjqUnMi9iYLE7Eu1PMkdtXeLmYhfDf5NfKIcvyXJv70DHHl6WDCTbZxOKE1F2x1HvUShJ3HxQU4SDiEPnjlGtCL*CBk0zzN1MgYXKOetxY4xY0MN5G2K5IxYeF9q9bXmu*IaeCP!brLuOg/red%20nose.JPG[/img]

as you can see...he is still out of it. a bit.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0agACAzIiwlJbvwACXd553XpCwUYeiimqJuNg0X6RTlwfIpIpMd*mgZmBvP2vJgWGVSGtm31yNJxPaAmY8SP58SV4Xs!W2Gwentr3ViR1wQipLfjeq6UhQlUcZreV3m!Iln8D1gfG2E6jpS2iBT0tCS0NJHttZb4z/taurus%20is%20high.JPG[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQARAxwgP31j6s4n4YYHe7v1*eGqMlTZ7Sgp93raTALxksvJ7STUgU3FRts!cqJjmbvOWvE5FN5roRD5MZoR8pevGfikvFIzEOSXrZgYzOLzbiP1TVZCybvGF2gxuLva*RC!GO8cfL5TTbTxKI7y0g/out%20of%20it.JPG[/img]

Snout may be red from worrying it against cage or if he was sedated it could be irritation from the ventilation tube which is often taped to the snout. It could also be a reaction to aenethetic so watch for other symptoms.

I fostered a dog with 4th grade hip displasia and early oesteoarthritis related to the hip displasia. We put him on glucosamine and chondroitine, made sure he had something soft to sleep on and excercised him regularly but lightly and kept his weight appropriate. He showed great improvement on the glucosamine/chondroitine. He rarely required an aspirin for pain (I understand that yucca may have eliminated this altogether.) All in all, it was not so big of a deal and I would have no problem fostering HD dogs or adopting one for myself later.

Zeb has HD, but it was diagnosed when he was about 1 year and it's a high/medium HD (does that makes sense? :lol: ). Zebra is on Glucosamine/Chondroitin and is doing well. Definitly watch Taurus' weight and don't let him get fat. Exersize is great but nothing to vigourous. I have a special orthopedic foam bed for zeb that isn't too hard on his hips and supports his weight.

Good luck with Taurus and give him a little cuddle for me. :D

DO, I am so glad it has worked for you. I hadn't even tried it myself when I recommended it to you :oops: I had just heard from numerous people of how pleased they were with the supplement and how economical the price was.
[quote]Words cannot express how much I am grateful. It has helped me so much! If we ever meet, I shall bow down and kiss your feet!
[/quote]
:lol: heck, I don't get offers like that every day. :lol: :wink:

I'm sorry to hear that Taurus has HD. No doubt he is in good hands with people who love him and will care for him and manage his HD.

Regarding SynFlex, can someone tell me a bit more? I am planning on switching my dogs to another form of supplement. I am considering Joint Max chewables but would also like to know more about this liquid.
Main question is, does it have a smell and if so, can you describe it?
I once had my dogs on Glyco Flex, initially Jesse would eat it from my hand, then would not but would still eat it in his food. He eventually would refuse to eat his food if the Glyco Flex was in there. It is VERY strong smelling, would wake you right up early in the morning! Brittany would still eat it but not Jesse.
He's gotten to be a finicky eater as he's aged and sometimes I have to be creative to get him to eat and keep weight on.

Thanks DO for the smell and taste info. I've actually been to the site and am seriously considering ordering some. It's either that or Joint Max chewables. I've been giving Jesse glucosamine by twisting open the capsules and pouring the powder in his food. Our homepathic vet suggested using 'human' supplements from the local grocery. I am tired of working with the capsules and want to find an easier way to give my dogs their supplement. Even Candy gets glucosamine, vet said any dog that does a lot of jumping should be on it. She does not get as much as the older dogs.
I am going to give the Synflex a try. I can always mash a sardine into his food, he'd eat sawdust with fishies in it! My dogs do love their fishies.

[quote]I am going to give the Synflex a try. I can always mash a sardine into his food, he'd eat sawdust with fishies in it! My dogs do love their fishies. [/quote]
This is exactly what I have to do with my little girl Athena. I give her lots of different supplements and she has the sense of smell of a bloodhound :lol:
The Yucca root I put in her food has a very minty smell. Athena will turn away from her dish if she even catches a hint of this smell. I find sardines work wonders at covering the smell. I feed a raw/kibble diet so normally I put her supplements in her morning kibble meal. I find canned Solid Gold dog food has a wonderful smell and covers the smells of her supplements wonderfully :wink:
Better yet, canned tripe from solid gold...or even fresh tripe has such a ripe smell...most dog

there is also a hard cheese called Fontinella (very odiferous italian cheese) and in its hard form can be grated into the dogs bowl with the offending medicine. hopefully YOU'RE not offended by the smell. I love it, my kid hates it, but the dogs will chow it down and it does cover up whatever is in the bowl. And my foxhound has quite a nose for scents....