Dogomania

vet trip anyway I guess

Baileysmom

Well, now Bailey is goign to the vet tomorrow morning anyway - but not for her foot......... she is coughing/gagging :( shes doing it when she eats and when she barks. this morning she tried to bark her head off at the mailman and all that came out was a coughing sound!
I had a dog die from a collapsed trachea when I was young and this sounds so much the same I'm worried it may be her trachea. BUt she is only a little over a year old :cry: she does pull like crazy on her leash, but thats why i only walk her with a harness or gentle leader.
Is there anything else that would cause this "coughing" that you know of? anyway - think good thoughts that its nothing serious (or expensive :roll: isnt that awful of me?)

Unless it's a kind of kennel cough that snuck past a vaccine? Peanut and Pixie have narrow tracheas that kind of nudged into the collapsing trachea when they got some kennel cough? They had both had bordetella shots or sprays but still got a bit of a cough. Now that they're over the sick part, they don't have the problem anymore. Does that make sense? When they had a cough their small tracheas exacerbated it, and they had a whole bad cycle, but once the illness cleared up, they stoped coughing and their tracheas don't collapse.

well, the vet called this morning and said a doc called in sick today :( I talked to the nurse over the phone about her cough and just by that she thought kennel cough was a good possibility. (she doesnt go to daycare or anything, but she said it could be from the dog park or goign to get her nails clipped at petsmart a couple weeks ago)
they suggested robitussin dm if the cough is bothering her and to bring her in monday if its not better.
if that is what it is about how long is she "contagious"? just as long as she has the cough? I was goign to take her back for some obedience refresher classes in a week or two.......
btw - she did have the vaccination, but as we know that doesnt matter :wink:

I'm not finding anything online about how long they're infectious, but it does say the signs can stick around 7-10 days. I'd guess that they'd still be infectious if they're still coughing. Peanut's cough lasted several weeks however, due to his small trachea. He didn't eally have kennel cough anymore, according to my vet, just an irritated throat that needed to be soothed with cough syrup, so the cough didn't keep itself going.

Ok - now as Im reading some info about kennel cough, I am worried about Bongo....... anyone know how likely it is that he will catch it from Bailey and if it would be more dangerous for him? (hes almost 12 yrs old)
if so, is there anything I can do to preevent or lessen him being very sick?

I'm no expert, but this is just my own personal experience.

I found the kennel cough vaccine to be about as useless as nipples on a bull. Regardless of whether any of mine had the vaccine or not, two of them used to get kennel cough every single year without fail, sometimes twice a year. The others never got it. We never quarantined anyone (from each other... of course, we didn't take them out) because by the time we knew they had kennel cough, the others had already been exposed.

My experience leads me to believe that some dogs are just more susceptible to it than others. Even though I don't vaccinate ANY of my dogs now for kennel cough and some of them go with me to work in the vet clinic every single day and are exposed to other dogs, they haven't gotten kennel cough since I stopped vaccinating them for it. I just don't worry about it. I mean, I know it [u]could[/u] happen, but it also used to happen to dogs I did vaccinate and that never left the house.

I guess what I'm getting at is that Bongo may get it or not. Exposure to it doesn't guarantee he'll get it. Out of ten dogs in our house, only two ever got it and they are all in very close quarters.

Kennel cough isn't usually that big a deal and will eventually pass. You'll want to control the coughing as much as possible to try to avoid secondary problems, but it should pass. I'd certainly keep them home while they're coughing. And, of course, if it doesn't get better, or if it starts to get worse, off to the vet.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

That's what i thought Boonie had, then they said it was a collapsing trecha.. now they vets down here are say ing it's caused from the heart worm, that heart worm can cause the coughing, the heart murmor he has and the blood disease he has...
good luck with both of them!!!

btw any luck on when we start agillity?

Thanks guys - so far Bailey is much better, she still coughs some if she runs alot, but much better than she was, and Bongo has not started coughing yet :wink: it is kind of "ironic" that Bongo has never been vaccinated for it and has never had it in the 12 yrs weve had him, but Bailey I did vaccinate, and she probably has it :roll:
oh btw - to Nay - I did email them again about agility with no reply yet, so I will try them and a couple others again :roll: