Dogomania

Grooming with anesthesia

candy722

One option... try another groomer. I'm not implying that anything is "wrong" with this groomer. I'm only saying that some dogs do better with different people. I have lots of dogs I groom that were sent to our vet clinic for sedation and grooming that turned out not to need any type of sedative at all. Then again, there is a groomer near me who believes nearly everything should be sedated before being groomed. Anyway, perhaps try a different groomer just to see if it makes a difference. The dog needs to get used to grooming, anyway, and I wouldn't be very comfortable with the idea of having to constantly sedate a dog for something like a haircut. It's just not good for them.

I strongly suggest having the dog groomed in a vet clinic if it needs to be sedated after all. There are groomers who will groom a dog that's had a sedative prior to coming in, but I won't (and I'm in a vet clinic, only I'm not a vet employee, so I let the techs/vet handle it). While most dogs are fine, there are some who will crash, or the opposite, become violent, especially with acepromazine (a commonly used sedative) and I can't imagine why any independent groom shop would open themselves up to that kind of liability.

Short answer... find a vet with a groomer on staff, or techs who do basic body clips, and have it done there. If a dog is to be anesthetized/sedated, it should, IMO, only be done under vet supervision.

For your info no that is not my dog that is why I stated it was my bf's siter's yorkie. Duh. Anyways, im gonna recommend her to take it somewhere else because a little dog like that can die from anesthesia. I also heard little dogs die can die from getting fixed because anesthesia can be too strong for some dogs.

[quote]For your info no that is not my dog that is why I stated it was my bf's siter's yorkie. Duh. Anyways, im gonna recommend her to take it somewhere else because a little dog like that can die from anesthesia. I also heard little dogs die can die from getting fixed because anesthesia can be too strong for some dogs.[/quote]

Peanut, my yorkie, came through his fix perfectly fine. 4 lbs, no prob.

[quote name='candy722']For your info no that is not my dog that is why I stated it was my bf's siter's yorkie. Duh. [/quote]

For your info, you're a real pain in the butt (*backspacing out sh*thead...*). I answered your questions as politely and succinctly as I knew how. How about writing down a list of answers you'd LIKE to hear when you ask these questions and we'll all sit down and practice saying them like we mean it? "Yay, more ill bred puppies... it's only one litter, right? What's the big deal, especially considering how many other 'just one litter' Yorkies there are in rescues and shelters? That's not your problem and I don't think you should worry about it." "Oh, goody, a dog with an unstable temperament is going to be bred... how cool is that? There's nothing I think is cuter than a nervous, quivering Yorkie... it's one of their more endearing traits." "You go, girl... rock on with your BYB self!" It's obvious you don't want honest answers as much as you want a pep squad to cheer you on in all your ignorant glory. Nothing anyone has said to you has been what you wanted to hear. Is this the same Yorkie you're going on about wanting to breed and yet you still see no problems? Basically, you're right and [u]everyone[/u] else is wrong. Is the grass also greener in your world? Sky a little bluer?

People have, for the most part, been polite and matter of fact. You must be one of those people who enjoys a lot of drama and chaos because you obviously can't handle intelligent dialogue if it conflicts with your personal interests.

By the way (or in your language, [u]DUH[/u]), of course, sedatives can only be (legally) prescribed by a vet. If you actually had an ounce of perception, you'd have realized I was talking about the sedatives that are given in a pill bottle or baggie and SENT HOME with the owner to be administered later. Many people give THESE sedatives to a dog before taking a dog into a groom shop, often where there is no vet or vet tech physically present. Make sense, or do I need to type that a little slower?

[quote name='boosiebutt'][quote]For your info no that is not my dog that is why I stated it was my bf's siter's yorkie. Duh. Anyways, im gonna recommend her to take it somewhere else because a little dog like that can die from anesthesia. I also heard little dogs die can die from getting fixed because anesthesia can be too strong for some dogs.[/quote]

Peanut, my yorkie, came through his fix perfectly fine. 4 lbs, no prob.[/quote]

Actually, these days, 10 week old puppies and kittens are undergoing early spays and neuters and coming through it just fine. It's something that's becoming more common because of all the, well, you know, problems with people wanting to adopt/buy animals and breed them. Many shelters and breeders are beginning early spay/neuters in an effort to keep this from happening. Such drastic measures can't be a result of (duh) a nationwide problem, can it?

[quote name='candy722']For your info no that is not my dog that is why I stated it was my bf's siter's yorkie. Duh. Anyways, im gonna recommend her to take it somewhere else because a little dog like that can die from anesthesia. I also heard little dogs die can die from getting fixed because anesthesia can be too strong for some dogs.[/quote]

is that you way of making excuses to breed your BYB yorkie?