Dogomania

The most popular breed???

Here, the most commonly seen ones are....

Labs
Pits
German Shepards (sheperds? shepards?)
Rotties
Golden Retreivers
Australian Shepards (same as above lol)

The other day I was at the HS with my friend... we saw the most gorgeous pit bull puppy... we showed her mom and she said "Oh... I don't like those kinds of dogs. They aren't nice." :( :evil: I hope the pup got adopted by someone....

In my area of eastern Canada the most popular breeds would be:

1. Lab's
2. Golden's
3. Shih Tzu's
4. Lhasa's
5. NOva Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
6. Siberian Husky
7. German Shepherd
8. Miniature Schnauzer's
9. Collie's and Shelties
10. Poodle

Not in that order, but, working at a Vet clinic these are the breeds I see most often. Lab's are the most popular in my area.

Same as pyrless, beagles and labs are really huge. Along with goldens and pugs! Pugs are REALLY big around here!!! Weimeraners are pretty big too and rotties are semi-popular.

But I would have to say pits are the biggest unfortunately. Dallas, especially the West side, has a lot of fighting. Its so horrible.

Uh, great danes and shepherds are pretty popular also... oh and boxers. Its mostly small mixes that I see around though... most likely poodle or bichon mixes since they have that curly fur. Chihuahuas and dachshunds are really big too.

So overall I would say:
1. Labs (mostly BYB and mixes though...)
2. Pits (AmStaffs, ABPTs, Staffys, and pit mixes)
3. Small breeds (like shih tzus, chihuahuas, dachshunds, poodle mixes, etc.)
4. Pugs
5. Beagles
6. Shepherds (Germans, and other shepherd breeds along with lots of mixes)
7. Weimeraners
8. Great Danes
9. Boxers
10. Rottweilers

here, Labs, Goldens, shih-tsu's (I see those a lot for some reason, but theres a lot of elderly people too) and probably shepherds. the GSD kind. the older people seem to like the shih-tzus....

I honestly think there is a lab golden or GSD on every block. we have one beagle across the street and Laurel and him bay at each other when
they're both outside. I can see the neighbors grimacing when that goes on so I bring her in....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

y'know, tho it took a while to get used to, I actually like the bay now. its such an interesting sound, and they're all different, like a bark. I have learned what Laurel's different tones mean, and variances, and length, etc. its really kinda cool, and it scares the bejeezus out of strangers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they think I have a wolf in the house....

:evilbat:

Guest Mutts4Me

Hmm, for a long time in my neighborhodd, there were a ton of black labs and black lab mixes, and everyone complained about MY lab running loose whenever I had MY dog on a walk, and no one would ever believe that MY dog was not allowed to roam loose.

Now, though, I see an increasing number of "dangerous" breeds in this area.

Judging by the classified ads in the paper, Labradors and Pit Bulls are the most popular, or at least the most bred.

Judging by a a walk through Petsmart, Lab/Golden Retrievers are the most popular, as well as Shepherdy things and tiny Lhasa/Maltese/Bichon type things. Pit Bulls and Boxers fairly common, too.

Judging by a walk through the local Humane Society, Pit Bulls take the cake, with Shepherdy and Labby puppies not too far behind :-?

i know i responded earlier..but i have been thinking of this all day lol.
and i cant really pin point a breed that is seen alot around here.

i do see quite a few pitties, and thankfully they are all well taken care of.

mix breeds just seem to be a big thing around here..

and boxers, their are quite a few boxers in here, even one with a tail!
same with rotties, there is one that lives down the street and one that lives across the alley and a few other people have rotties, one guy has a rottie with tail

The most popular breed in my neighborhood would be Yorkie (Peanut and the neighbor's dog Wrigley, and a girl who works in the coffee shop is getting one). I haven't seen any clear preference at the vets or Petco, but I've seen beagles, shepherds, pitties, goldens (1 doodle), a schnauzer, JRTs. Puppy class we had a couple of weims, a newfounland, border collie x's, a mini aussie, dobermans, etc...

Guest Anonymous

The top 10 most popular dogs according to 2003 AKC registrations are:

1. Labrador Retriever (144,934)
2. Golden Retriever (52,530)
3. Beagle (45,033 moving up one place from 2002)
4. German Shepherd Dog (43,950)
5. Dachshund (39,473)
6. Yorkshire Terrier (38,256)
7. Boxer (34,136)
8. Poodle (32,176)
9. Shih Tzu (26,935 moving up one place from 2002)
10. Chihuahua (24,930)

I live in semi-rural Australia,so the most popular breed out this way is probably kelpies or blue cattle dogs.There's also alot of border collie/cattle's.

When I work(in a drive-thru take-away fast food shop) I see mostly staffy and staffy x's.Its great!I always comment on how great they are,and it's a lot better to hear then the stereotypical negative comments. :lol: