Dogomania

Dogs you wouldn't own.

Queen Bitch

I probably will not ever have any of the tiny dog breeds since I am used to large dogs. Every time I visit the in-laws I worry I will step on their little pomeranian mix. He is cute as the dickens, but so little. :o

But on the other hand, when we are older and want to travel, a smaller dog would be easier to take with us, so I guess I can't say I would [b]never[/b] have a small dog. :wink:

Breeds that have a reputation of being particularly high-strung are not my cup of tea. I like a companion dog to be easy-going and amiable, so breeds that need a constant job such as a border collie or cattle dog wouldn't do well in our household.

Here's the thing though....If a dog needed a home and was friendly and not dog agressive, I would probably be okay with adoption of most any canine provided I had the time and facilities to give the dog a happy life and if he/she fit into our existing household "pack". My decision would depend on the dog's individual personality.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, now I should say, Labs and Goldens can be laid back, obedient, gentle and loving, if trained and treated properly. Unfortunately, people expect them to train themselves because they are so touted by breeders and magazines. They CAN be great dogs....Free is good even with her issues, caused mostly by my ex. Labs raised properly make lousy guard dogs, they like everybody. Please dont get me wrong, they are wonderful and I personally love them, but only because I know what I'm doing in the training department. untrained and unsocialized, they are a strong, sturdy dog who will take over if you let them. those are usually the ones you see at the vet and Petco who are dragging their owners down the aisles....

I've learned the hard way to never say never! 8) I have never wanted a Lab or a Beagle, so I found a Lab/Beagle mix and danged if she did not make herself at home! I'm not a big fan of Australian Shepherds, danged if I did not adopt an Aussie mix!
I also have this weird quirk, I don't like seeing a dogs, er, um, butt. So both of my girls carry their tails high for a lovely view.
I don't want a hunting breed, though many are beautiful and a joy to watch, just don't want one.
I don't want a toy dog though Paps are just adorable.
I don't want a Pit, a Rottie, a Akita, or any kind of mastiff, I'm getting older and gotta be up to any physical challenges a dog might throw my way.
Irish Setters are beauties but I doubt I would want one.
I don't care for Dalmations, I know there are lovely, well mannered Dals but so far all the ones I have met have been a bit too snarky.
No ACD's, no Kelpies, no Goldens.
I like big hairy dogs, prefer them in black. I think Collies are gorgeous, no matter the coat pattern but thats a bit TOO much hair. I like GSD's but doubt I will ever have one.
I think I will stick with the Belgian Sheepdog or Tervuren and of course fall madly in love with a shelter mutt and bring that one home too.

I can't think of a dog I would never have. I believe they are individuals and all I ever do is go through the shelter and whomever I fall in love with that day is the one I adopt. I have always done it that way. I don't even research until after. I am not picky.

But since I am not staring at the dogs right now in order to fall in love with one I have to say as a former big dog lover. After owning my cairn I wouldn't trade him for any big horse. It seems like their all brawn and no brain.(sorry just my opinion)My cairn weighs 20lbs so it's not too difficult to carry him around although I rarely do, he has energy to go on forever, he makes friends everywhere he goes, and he is the smartest dog I have ever owned. He is absolutely amazing. But because of that unless I fall in love by accident I will never have another. I know I will never get one just like him and I would be comparing the new cairn to Toto(niece named him :lol: ).

I do have two other dogs one is a sheltie and he is only 9 months old but I love him and even though he is a bit scatterbrained he is really sweet and that makes up for any faults. The other is a border terrier mix that doesn't act like a terrier at all except for the time she killed our hamster. But we got her at 3 as a stray so perhaps she was used to killing for food who knows. We just learned to keep her away from the hamsters. :lol:

I know this is like Pit Bull central here but the fact is I just don't like the looks of them. There are some of the most homely dogs I have ever seen. I would own one because it's not a beauty contest but if I have a choice no I don't think so. No slobbering breeds either that just makes me sick to think of all that slobber.

Labs are great I have had a couple in my life and a couple family members have had one. They aren't hyper forever they do calm down after a few years. One of the smartest dogs I have ever had was a lab. But he was mixed with terrier so I don't know if they balaced each other out. I think they are pretty close to the perfect family dog.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Carolk9s']I've learned the hard way to never say never![/quote]

lol, Carol, I keep trying to remind myself of that, too. I try to say, "I can't see myself owning one..." and not "I will not own," because most of my animals have just kind of fallen into our laps, and who knows what'll wander in next?

The only thing I'm really, really adamant about is the baying thing. Living next door to a pack of beagles, I have become very, very opposed to baying. So I would try really, extra hard to find a home for any scent hound (or mix) that somehow stumbled into my temporary possession.

So many people here are against the Asian dogs, lol. I have this huge need to own an Akita, but I've always liked cats that acted like dogs, and dogs that acted like cats, so to find a large breed of dog that supposedly has the traits of a Big Cat was a dream. Aloofness is not a problem for me - my chow mix never ever licks or what have you, she does contentedly lean against you, though. In fact, I'm often puzzled by my great need to get a Pit Bull, which is actually a very friendly, outgoing breed and generally against my "looks" prefs (Bigger, Longish hair, and tail held high). Somehow, the mutt that chose us had all the characteristics I look for in a dog :)

[quote]The only thing I'm really, really adamant about is the baying thing. Living next door to a pack of beagles, I have become very, very opposed to baying. So I would try really, extra hard to find a home for any scent hound (or mix) that somehow stumbled into my temporary possession.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

when you own and love one, it grows on ya...

:D

Oh I have to add I would never own a Chow Chow or a Cocker Spaniel. I have never meet a nice Chow or Cocker, everyone I have meet has tried to bite me or attack me. And like HF said Chows have there own "Language" and I can not speak or read it. :lol: I'm sure there are nice Chows and Cockers out there..I've just never meet any. :lol:

I'm not sure if I would ever own a 100% Purebred dog. I'm too fond of mixes and mutts. :D

[quote name='StarFox']Oh I have to add I would never own a Chow Chow or a Cocker Spaniel. I have never meet a nice Chow or Cocker, everyone I have meet has tried to bite me or attack me. [/quote]

Cocker Spaniels.. oh doG, my aunt had about three and every single one tried to bite me or did. I know it wasnt just my age either b/c her other dogs (or different breeds) never tried/did.
....Although, all my aunts dogs were from pet stores so that could be the reason. :roll:

[quote name='Carolk9s']I don't care for Dalmati[b]o[/b]ns, I know there are lovely, well mannered Dals but so far all the ones I have met have been a bit too snarky. [/quote]

Better not let Corrie see that! :lol:

Although I do love all dogs,and i havent really come across a dog I particularly disliked,I have to say there are just some dogs that don't fit into my lifestyle.So I wouldn't look at owning one.

I've always thought great danes are absolutely wonderful.....but their size is just way to much for me to handle. That probably goes with all the giant breeds,I love looking at them and seeing how huge they are,but these gentle giants would reak havok in a small house!

Kelpie's are really beautiful and extrenely smart,but because of that reason i don't think I could raise one properly.If I was going to get a kelpie I'd have to have a flock of sheep for it to play with,too :lol: That goes with the other herding dogs,like the blue cattle and border collie,too.

Although I love tiny dogs,(my ultimate would be a tibeten spaniel or papillion :angel: ) I wouldn't own one until after I've had a family.I wouldn't exactly trust my kids if they were anything like i was when i was a kid :wink: .Not mean or hurtful just a brat!

[quote name='"Mutts4Me"'][quote name='Carolk9s']
Somehow, the mutt that chose us had all the characteristics I look for in a dog :)[/quote]

:) That's what Dresden did. She definietly chose me :) I read about all of these cool personality/temperament tests, did them, knew she was wacko, and I deliberately ignored all of the info because I KNEW she was my dog as soon as I laid eyes on her. Something that is very odd for me as I am very analytical and research oriented.

I'd say she's definitely my ideal dog. Tall, slender (which I love because I have this idea that she won't have all the joint problems of the heavy boned dogs we've owned), shorthaired, smart, funny, friendly but very protective and loyal, and absolutely gorgeous :)

Dogs I wouldn't own....This is terrible but there are a lot of them. I love labs but have had my heart broken by three with terrible major health problems. I've always heard about nice poodles, dachsunds, cockers, chows, dalmations but have never met a single one........I love rotties and English Mastiffs but don't know if I would have one because I've heard about major health problems...Not big on tiny dogs except I met an awesome Havanese (? sp) spanial that is awesome and I like Papillions...Don't like small untrained yappy dogs that get away with a lot of crap that no one would dream of tolerating from a bigger dog, that ticks me off.

And I love mutts, always will, the two I have are the coolest funnyest, smartest, healthiest dogs I've owned so I'm really biased now :)

Just for fun I asked my sister who worked in a grooming shop for 10 years. Her experience was that no dog breed was all bad but she did become quite leary of Chows. She said more often then not they were snappy. But there were a few that were very sweet. The only time she ever got really scared was when she had a pit bull on the table and made that mistake of turning her head and he came really close to biting her face. That just scared her because it was so close.

They did have a pit bull puppy that was raised in the shop meaning he spent all his days in thier with his owner and went home at night. He was so sweet but then one day out of the blue when he was full grown he went after a man who came in the shop. It makes you wonder when a dog does that out of the blue what is wrong with the man. Unfortunately that meant he couldn't come stay there anymore.

She also said that the majority of Cairn terriers were nothing like our boy. Most didn't behave on the table but most were lovers of people but not so much other dogs. I guess we have a rare one. :lol: Other then that none of the breeds were consistent enough in their behavior to have a solid opinion.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']

[quote name='Carolk9s']I don't care for Dalmati[b]o[/b]ns, I know there are lovely, well mannered Dals but so far all the ones I have met have been a bit too snarky. [/quote]

Better not let Corrie see that! :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, well actually I don't care for Dalmations either. :wink:

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='Cairn6']Just for fun I asked my sister who worked in a grooming shop for 10 years. Her experience was that no dog breed was all bad but she did become quite leary of Chows. She said more often then not they were snappy. But there were a few that were very sweet.[/quote]

[color=indigo]This is the main reason I don't care for Chow Chows. I don't like that they don't like other people. They truely are a one person/family breed, and some people like that, I don't. :wink: :) [/color][/quote]

I generally don't like Chows for that very reason, but I've known 2 Chows which were very sweet, so I can't make a blanket statement that I would never own a Chow... except that they are too damn hairy!

I will never own a Chinese Crested. a Chow, Sharpei, Dalmation or any of the small terrier breeds.

I have always owned Rottweilers or GSD's..never had an aggressive one.
Have never owned a small dog until 6 months ago and now I have a little Cavalier pup. He is gorgeous and so easy going. He gets along so well with my Rottweilers.

Ah not trying to hurt your feeings hillside but we have a Dal in our street who roams causing trouble. Not the fault of the dog but the irresponsible owners. However, this dog causes me grief every time I take my dogs for their walks ON LEAD. It is a right pain in the butt and has put me off the breed.

Bad owners of my breed are the reason people have a bad impression of Rottweilers too.

I would never own an APBT, I just find that they can be really sweet. But, when they attack, they really go for it not just a bite like most other breeds. Believe me, Ive been on the receiving end and was attacked by a CGC, temperment tested and high scored APBT from excellent lines. I also don't like the fact that they are for the most part dog aggressive. I have met way too many Pits I wouldn't trust too much and most have wonderful owners.

I don't really like any of the bull breeds, Ill stick to my husky's.

I don't think I would ever own any sight hounds ever either.

But, come to rescue and mixed breed, most times they can have some of their working abilities watered down a tad bit. I would probably still rescue any kind of mix. My personal fav's are the German Shepherd/Husky mixes, they are the easiest to train and nice dispostion. At least all of the ones I met and we have tons of these mixes in my neck of the woods. :wink:

a dalmatiAn is a breed i would probably like to own.
my brother had one, and he was way out of control and had so much energy, because they kept him changed up all the time :evil:
i would go over there almost daily though and play fetch with him and just pet him and he was incredibly sweet!
they ended up taking him to the pound :cry: but luckily there was someone who had been looking for a dalmatian at the pound for awhile...so hopefully they gave him a loving home

[quote name='anne3149']Ah not trying to hurt your feeings hillside but we have a Dal in our street who roams causing trouble. Not the fault of the dog but the irresponsible owners. However, this dog causes me grief every time I take my dogs for their walks ON LEAD. It is a right pain in the butt and has put me off the breed.

Bad owners of my breed are the reason people have a bad impression of Rottweilers too.[/quote]

there is a rot that lives down the street from me, owned by a nice guy who loves his dog very much and has trained the dog well, very sweet dog!! and they walk by our house all the time and the dog is always walking very nice on the leash.

then i have this idiot who lives across the alley who has a rottie, and he was walking it down the alley and the dog was practically dragging him, and then i drove by to find out that they keep the dog in a kennel 24/7 :( so i'd be a little leary in approaching that dog because i know he has probably never had any real socialization :(

The breeds that I would not want to own are breeds that don't mix well with my lifestile, I love the temperment and look of the huntingdogs, but I don't hunt. Hounds don't appeal to me neither do terriers. I want dogs that are smart and like to be with you and learn, train and work. Also I would not go out and buy a very wet mouth breed, Im not a fan of drool, but if I could take in a rescue then things might sound a bit differently. I dont mind hair or grooming, but Im not going to get a standard poodle until I can afford to keep it well groomed,

So, to sum things upp, I would not go out and get hunting breeds, hounds, most nordic breeds, large mastiffs, and most lapdogs. This is not because I don't like them, by no means, just because they don't fit into my lifestile and they likely would be happier with an owner that is more involwed with them.

I don't know if I'd own another heeler. As much as I worship the ground BK walks on, he was hell on four legs for the first eight years of his life. He really should have been a farm or working dog. :-?

I'm not into little dogs as a general rule, so I probably wouldn't own anything smaller than a Lab.

A lot of my potential owning of a dog depends on what I do when I finish uni. I plan to work overseas so there is no way in hell I will get a dog of my own until I'm a lot older and settled somewhere. And when I am working, I envisage it will take up the majority of my time- so to get a high-energy dog just to leave it in the backyard for fourteen hours a day is not fair.

Heh. Maybe I'll stick with *gasp* cats. :evilbat: