Dogomania

Dogs you wouldn't own.

Queen Bitch

i would never chose to own a afghan either..i just dont like their looks..dont know what thei personality is about..

about labs.
i think i will own more labs in my life.
i grew up with tons of lab mixes, and 2 labs.
lots of lab mixes cause we were really ignorant and never spayed our female lab(maggie that i have now) and none of our males were neutered..so ya know..

anywayz,
labs aren't perfect. no dogs are though, eh
maggie never chewed up stuff when she was a puppy, but that was probably because we lived on a farm and she had tons of land to live on, and she didnt live inside.
she did have quite a bit of energy, but again we lived on a farm so it was easy for her to run her energy off.
but she has bitten 2 people in her life.
one was a man that shot her(the jack ass deserved it if ya ask me)
and the other was a little boy, i have no idea why she did it, but she bit him, she didnt break the skin, kinda like a warning snap or whatever.
but now we keep her away from kids

so yea labs are far from perfect, and i hate how they are portrayed as the perfect family dog cause they sure arent
but when you bunch labs into a spaz/obese/annoying breed, it's just like grouping pit bulls as vicous.. 8)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think anyone was lumping them into a spaz group, just some of us were showing the downsides of them being advertised by breeders as the "perfect family dog"...and the kid she snapped at? not at all uncommon for a lab. while a well socialized one should never bite a child, or anyone else, labs are known for that "warning snap"....my lab x does it now. basically they grab the hand of the "offender" (and kids can be very offensive, without realizing it) and clamp down. rarely do they break skin, they do mostly have bite inhibition built in (unless their mixed with something less hunting related) but they do have their limits and this is how they show them. a lab mix or a badly socialized/untrained one can and have bitten people, severely. thats why I always stress to people that this is a BIG dog, with a head and neck strong enough to knock you off your feet if it wanted to, a jaw just as big and wide. its not a pushover just because its a lab. these dogs are strong enough to drag a 6 ft 200 lb
man down the street if determined enough.....Free's a mix, and could and HAS dragged me down the street before I got her harness...and she doesnt have the huge head and neck of a purebred....

My Lab is some sort of freak. He has never left spots on the wall and has never fired a warning shot (snap) at anyone. I can't imagine anything that would make him bite or even snap. No amount of pain (he's had some pretty gruesome hip surgery and painful rehab and manipulation afterward which he all took like a champ) or tormenting by neighborhood thugs has ever made him snap. He's never chewed or destroyed anything in the house, was amazingly easy to house train (I don't remember him ever having accidents other than an extremely upset stomach where someone wasn't home to let him out). He truly is the perfect dog if one exists. The only downfall... he projectile sheds like about every other Lab I've ever known. I vacuum two canisters (bagless vacuum) full of Tucker hair daily. That doesn't account for the Tucker hair that makes it into the fridge, the freezer, the top of the fridge, the ceiling fan....

I'm going to go hug Tucker now for being such an exceptional dog. With the problems people are seeing in Labs, I think I got really lucky with my first one.

Back on track... another breed I will probably never own is a Chow. Simply put, I am afraid of them. I don't speak Chow (I believe they have a language all their own) and don't think I am the person to own one. Same for Akitas. I am afraid of them. :oops:

edited to add: I'm not promoting Labs as a perfect dog, either, because I know better. Just reflecting on how blessed I feel that mine is so perfect.

I will never own another Great Pyrenees again. I loved my Great Pyrenees...but, she was a horizon dog. I can't stand horizon dogs.

I will never own another Rottweiler again. Only because I find they have such a high prey drive and the full series of predatory sequences. I also don't like the fact that my Rottie and many I have dealt with are dog aggressive. I will never own another dog aggressive breed again, its tiring, embarrassing and not fun at all if you like to be a social dog person.

I will never own an APBT, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier due to the potential toward dog aggression. I also have dealt with quite a few with very high prey drives....we have had a few instances where these breeds have grabbed small dogs out of owners arms in our waiting room or came in as an emergency at the vet clinic. We now have them either wait out side or wear a muzzle. These breeds would just be too much of a risk for me to own.

I will never own a giant breed such as a Great Dane or Irish wolfhound due to their short life span.

There are many terriers I would never own. :lol: nor will I ever own a border collie or any other herding breed which hasn

HF I think your Tucker falls into the "well trained, well socialized" group.
The labs I speak of DONT faLL into that group including Free (thanks to my ex)

you have such a strict schedule at home because of your "pack" that dogs tend to behave because they have no choice. and thats a GOOD thing! any dog brought up in a house with stern rules, expectations, and
training, will fold to the pack rules. They have to, they have no choice.
You and your hubby are good Alphas. thats what they all need. the ones that dont get it are the ones that cause problems. good for you HF!!

Guest Mutts4Me

Okay, I said I loved it when people were anti-lab, but that's not the most appropriate thing to say. I've liked every Labrador and Golden Retriever (forgot to mention them) I've met, from my bumbling, unhealthy Bandit to Gretchen, the super smart but hyper-active guide dog I was friends with for two years in college.

(I've also liked every Chihuahua I've met - quite a few - but would never expect myself to own one)

I also wouldn't be opposed to adopting a Lab mix, as long as it didn't look tooo Labby (mostly to avoid misconceptions like the ones courtnek encounters with Free).

Retrievers are nice dogs, but they're just not "perfect," and it's infuriating to see them being touted as such when other perfectly good (but also not perfect) breeds are getting the shaft and even being persecuted.

[quote name='courtnek']I dont think anyone was lumping them into a spaz group, just some of us were showing the downsides of them being advertised by breeders as the "perfect family dog"...and the kid she snapped at? not at all uncommon for a lab. while a well socialized one should never bite a child, or anyone else, labs are known for that "warning snap"....my lab x does it now. basically they grab the hand of the "offender" (and kids can be very offensive, without realizing it) and clamp down. rarely do they break skin, they do mostly have bite inhibition built in (unless their mixed with something less hunting related) but they do have their limits and this is how they show them. a lab mix or a badly socialized/untrained one can and have bitten people, severely. thats why I always stress to people that this is a BIG dog, with a head and neck strong enough to knock you off your feet if it wanted to, a jaw just as big and wide. its not a pushover just because its a lab. these dogs are strong enough to drag a 6 ft 200 lb
man down the street if determined enough.....Free's a mix, and could and HAS dragged me down the street before I got her harness...and she doesnt have the huge head and neck of a purebred....[/quote]

well, maggie was great with us when we were kids(we got her when i was 5, i have one younger brother, and 4 older siblings, all of us except my half brother are a year apart..) she took all kinds of crap from us, we poked at her, pulled on her ears and tail, tried to ride her, etc. and not once did she ever snap or even growl.
with this kid..i dunno..it was a couple years ago..she was like 9 or 10..he was petting her under her chin so i think that's why she snapped..cause that is kind of a dogs vulnerable stop(right??) and she bit him on the face.
but again it didn't break the skin, and we just keep her away from kids now, not that there are any kids here now, but every once in awhile somebody has a kid over here...

i got lucky with Shadow cause she is half lab and half great pyrenees, but she got the pyr temperment. So she is very laid back and absolutely adores kids, and she's not hyper or anything. :D

ya know, i always said i would NEVER own a golden retriever, cause i just didn't like them..

and now I have Ozzy :lol:
he's not pure golden, but he's damn near close!!
most of the time people are shocked to find that he is NOT a pure golden retriever, because he looks EXACTLY like one and acts like one. his coat is a little short for a pure golden, but that's it.

i love him to death though, he's EXACTLY what i have ALWAYS wanted in a dog.
Smart, handsome, active, loves to fetch, and loves to swim.

it's crazy how things work out isn't it :lol:

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']he was petting her under her chin so i think that's why she snapped..cause that is kind of a dogs vulnerable stop(right??) and she bit him on the face. [/quote]

Generally no. That is actually where I suggest kids pet Buck when they are first meeting him. I've always been told that the chest and under the chin are best. Kids usually like to go over the top of their head which is a no-no.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']My Lab is some sort of freak. He has never left spots on the wall and has never fired a warning shot (snap) at anyone. I can't imagine anything that would make him bite or even snap. He truly is the perfect dog if one exists. The only downfall... he projectile sheds like about every other Lab I've ever known. I vacuum two canisters (bagless vacuum) full of Tucker hair daily. That doesn't account for the Tucker hair that makes it into the fridge, the freezer, the top of the fridge, the ceiling fan[/quote]

Horsefeathers, you could be talking about my Gretchen too........ :wink:
She is simply a love !!! I have people lined up that love Gretchen !!! :angel:
On the hair thing .....same situation here !!! How does that hair fly all over the place ???
When we have dinner ultimately someone has a Gretchen hair in their food !!! So after a few times of someone complaining .....now we say "You got the lucky plate !!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cassie, what is a "horizon dog?"
it's funny, i will probably always own a pyr, since I have had one, every other breed seems like "too much!" :D i realize alot of people would say that about the pyr, "too much shedding, too much barking, too much drooling..." but to me they are my soul dog. to paraphrase horsefeathers, i "speak pyr".
i think border collies are gorgeous but i couldn't keep up with them. i admire the grace of the sighthounds but would constantly worry about them being too fragile. i love the look of huskies but want a more bonded dog. terriers drive me a little crazy!
this is a great topic, it really proves that there is something for everyone.

[quote]Cassie, what is a "horizon dog?" [/quote]
pyrless, when I say horizon dog I mean that you let them loose and all you see of them is their tail slipping over the horizon. :lol: We use this term quite often here in my area of Canada when talking about Husky's and other breeds which require A LOT of recall work and have the tendency to want to run quite a ways before they realize they left their owner behind :lol:
This is just my experience with the breed. As a general rule they can lean towards being a horizon dog or runner. They require a skilled dog owner who has the time to put into them. I am at the age now where I just want an easy breed like a Newfoundland :D
pyrless, I am by no means putting down your breed of choice. They just aren

Cassie, i know you weren't putting down the pyr, no worries! :D They are certainly not the breed for everyone, and roaming [i]is[/i] a really big issue. In fact, some breeders say that what you've got when you let a Great Pyrenees off-leash is a "disapyr". :lol: so we have a fence and it's cool. Sasha has a pretty good recall too, but I wouldn't trust her off leash either. She'd amble slowly and not run, but she would sure amble far away! It's in their blood.
Which kennel does your friend have?
It's funny, everyone says they need an experienced hand and I suppose that is true, I had experience with other dogs before her, but I found her the easiest to train and bond with. I have also heard that shelties are great for first-time dog owners but I am quite sure I couldn't handle them! :lol:
I like the newfs too, and leonbegers, but i like to keep dry dogs!

I don't think I could own a lab or golden. From what I've seen (and I'll admit, I'm probably stereotyping) they're quite rambunctious. Most goldens I've come into contact with have scared me they've been so wild. I've become used to my laid back, easy going dog. I also wouldn't want a breed known to bark a lot, although I've learned that regardless of breed standards and stereotypes, you never really know for sure what you're getting...I don't think my dog ever got the memo that she's a german shepherd :lol:

In the future (when I'm settled and able to care for more than one dog) I'd love to get a small dog. I got jealous of small dog owners last week...I was traveling, and all over the airports were people carrying on their small dogs. Must be nice to take them along when you fly! My dog only gets to join me when the destination is within driving distance.

I don't think I'd ever own a bigger dog, even though I've seen some that I think are beautiful and would be fun to work with. I like to have a dog that I can pick up fairly easily, and can fit mostly into my lap and easy to sit on the couch with. I don't know if my (far, far, far) in the future dogs will be quite as small as P&P (maturing at only 5-6lbs)

Man.....I miss all the good ones when I go out of town and you lose power, huh??

Hmm.....I know I don't like Labs or Goldens. But Jeremy LOVES labs....so one of these days, I know we'll have one. But he doesn't want a puppy so that's good!

I'm not a terrier fan at all. Great dogs.....in someone else's house! Also, couldn't deal with a baying scent hound! Our neighbor has a Beagle/Min Pin mix.....one of these days I'm going to have a seizure because of the noise that dog makes!!!

I love BIG giant dogs....and teeny tiny ones. It's the middle of the road ones that I'm indifferent about!!!

[quote]oh, Kenneview! I have been to her site, she has some lovely dogs, and they are well-known and respected by Pyr people in the U.S. too[/quote]
It's really neat to hear that a breeder from my small little province could be well known in the states :D Carole (the breeder) is a sweet women who truly loves her breed. I respect her and admire her energy. I have looked after her kennel in the past and she boards her dogs at the boarding kennel I work at. She also does Pyr rescue, she recently rescued a sweet bitch from up Northern canada (some where).

oh, this is so wonderful! i am in the Heart of Ohio Great Pyrenees Club but it is so rare to meet some one outside of that that knows the breed! What a small world! Yes, she is mentioned in the [i]Complete Great Pyrenees [/i]
by Paul Strang and I see the Kenneview prefix all the time at shows. I will not be looking for another dog for quite some time (years) but I will definitely keep her line in mind. I like how they look, a nice solid dog.

I wouldn't have (by choice, since you never know what's going to drop into your lap):
Chows, Peis, Akitas- not a big fan of the asian breeds, they're too aloof (the ones I've known haven't even been very outwardly affectionate to their owners) plus I know from my aunt's chows that those coats are not the most fun to deal with, all that undercoat :o

Labs & Goldens- I live in lab central (plenty of goldens as well, and this describes them too), everyone here owns one because they're "water dogs", so I get to see plenty of them. The majority are big bouncy goofballs, something I'm not real fond of in dogs. I actually like a lot of the ones I know, but I like them in [i]other peoples[/i] homes, not mine :lol:

Most of the smaller breeds (under about 35 lbs), with the exception of Dachshunds, Bostons, and maybe a few others I can't think of right now. We had Lhasas when I was a young child, and I think they're great little dogs, but I don't know that I'd want to deal with the long fur. I'm not really a small dog person, but any sturdy small dog that can keep up with bigger dogs is ok by me :lol:

A lot of the terriers, not really a fan of rough coated dogs, and most are on the small side of my preference. Exceptions would be the bully breeds, and maybe an Airedale :oops:

I'm also not a fan of most herders, just a bit too intense for me, plus many are long coated.

I don't mind a dog that is aloof with strangers, but outright aggression isn't something I'd want to deal with. I also don't like dogs that are constantly trying to climb the rank ladder (the occasional uprising isn't a big deal, I mean dogs that constantly push the limits all the time), so this eliminates some of the more dominant molossers and working breeds. In addition, I worry about the giant breeds' short longevities, which steers me away from many which I'd otherwise like to own.

Looking back over this post, it would appear that I don't like much at all :lol: