Dogomania

Dogs you wouldn't own.

Queen Bitch

Are there any breeds that you wouldn't own? I don't mean just breeds you dislike, but breeds that you like but that don't fit into your lifestyle. This isn't a mean thread by any means, but I am curious as to other people's preferences. Nobody should take anybody elses choices personally because it isn't an attack on anyone's dogs. I know we all love ALL of the Dogo dogs. ;)

I love Australian Cattle Dogs, but I don't think I could cope with the cattle part of them.

I can appreciate a good Golden or Lab, but once again, I would not be able to deal with thier "retrieverness".

I also can't see myself owning a small dog anytime soon, but one of my favorite dogs is Ryan's parents' Sheltie/peke mix. My preference, for myself is just for larger dogs.

And finally, my most controversial statement. I will probably never own a Pit Bull.

Not because I dislike them, ( heck I go to more pittie sites than my other dog sites combined.) but because I think that one day I would just snap on some anti-pittie person and beat thier a$$ into the ground. That really is not the PR that the breed needs. I can see the headlines " Psycho Pit Bull Owner mauls upstanding family man." So out of my dedication to the breed, I do all that I can to provide good PR in the ways that I am able to and do my damndest to fight BSL.

All of that put aside, I am pretty dedicated to my breed and can't really see myself owning a different one. ( Though if Sizzle keeps posting those &%$#*$ Dobe pics.............) When I was choosing the breed that I was going to get as my future dog, I went to sooooooo many sites and looked at so many breeds, and had it narrowed down to just a few I realized that I kept coming back to Dalmatians. I finally admitted the truth to myself. And when Ryan and I were talking about getting a dog, I asked him what characteristics he was looking for. Fortunately Dalmatians legitamately fit into that list too.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont like many small dogs.
i would probably never want to own a chihuahua..they are just too delicate nor would i want a toy poodle..
but i like pekingnese(sp??) and a couple other small dogs.

i'd probably never own a chinese crested..couldnt stand the no fur..my doggie has to have fur lol..dont like petting skin.

i wouldn't want to own a italian greyhound...i dunno..just dont like them dogs lol..cute..but not me..

that's all i can think of right now..

Had to think about this for a bit...

I'd have to say I won't likely ever own another Pit Bull. It's not that I don't like them. To be totally honest, I just don't think I ever want to have that responsibility again of having to be prepared to keep a Pit Bull separated from my other animals. While I realize that plenty of Pit Bulls coexist peacefully with other dogs, I'm just not prepared for the responsibility if one doesn't. I'll probably always have a multi pet household which will likely include small dogs, but after some reading and my own experiences with the one we had (Penny), I wouldn't want to have to do it again. I'll just have to love other people's Pit Bulls.

I probably won't ever own another Rottie. I adore them, but I have owned several in the past and something bad always happens to them. Two died with parvo despite vacs and one was stolen right out of my house by an acquaintance. Maybe I'm a little superstitious, but I don't think I want to risk another Rottie's life by trying to own one. :-?

I doubt I'll ever own a Border Collie. Smart dogs and lovable, but simply too much energy for me. I don't think, in a multiple pet household, I could provide a BC with enough one on one mental and physical exercise.

I can't say I would never own one of these breeds. If one crossed my path that I fell in love with, I'm sure I would. These are just some of the breeds I wouldn't consider if I were actively searching for another dog.

Well I have to say.... with pits my only problem is that of HF's, I want to have a multi-dog household also. But I am willing to work with the routine of switching out dogs between crates, kennels, and household. Plus, I plan on going into bully rescuse someday, even if its just fostering, and I will probably do that.

I cant picture myself with any small dogs... they are just too much dog in not enough package :lol: I dont know how else to put it. Plus theyre so fragile... Im afraid I would kill it by stepping on it or rolling over on it or something lol

And poodles... I just I cant ...eh, sorry HF but I just cant stand poodles.

BCs are too high energy, and its the same with most of the herding dogs.

Hair was mentioned too.... I just couldnt handle a long-haired breed, no thanks. Shedders I can handle easier but I would prefer a breed that doesnt shed.

Terriers I just canNOT handle, ugh! Pits are different though, they dont count to me! :wink:

I would probably never own one of the super dominant breeds like the caucasian shepherd class of dogs. I would go so far as a GSD or Dobe but not yet, more experience with dominant gaurding breed needed. I'm not afraid of them but I'm a bit of a softy and sometimes allow the boys to get away with things they shouldn't and also I alow a small amount of mouthy games and as I understand it these sort of things are not the best idea with gaurding breeds. The last thing I would want is to take a wonderful dog and to, through my permissiveness or lack of diligence, give the breed a poor name or worse.
I'm not so fond of really small breeds - like under 25lbs but there are a few exceptions. I could see myself with a whippet, border terrier, sheltie or maybe a hairless.

I don't think I could ever own a small dog (30lbs or less). I like big dogs and always have. Like HF and Corrie I don't think I could ever own a Pit Bull, it's not that I don't like them, because I do. I just don't think I could handle 1.) All the negative remarks and attention I would get and 2.) I would always be worried about any other animals I brought into the house.

I could not own a high energy dog like a BC, I don't have the energy to keep up with them. :lol:

Hair dosn't matter so much to me, i'll take a dog with long, short or no hair. But I couldn't have a dog that drools excessive amounts. A little slobber? Sure that's ok. But tons of it to the point where it gets on the walls and on all the furniture is not my cup of tea.

Guest Anonymous

Most of mine is based off of dogs I've fostered and had to live with for extended periods of time.

Dalmatian- The few I fostered were just plain nuts, to much energy.

Toy and Miniture Poodles I don't know what it is I don't like them.

Labs! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. I DO NOT LIKE LABS. I don't know what it is about them but I won't own them.

I won't own another Pit Bull Puppy....I stress the puppy part...Not because of the recent happenings here but because I want an adult rescue. I have been told I'm strange because for that breed I'm VERY set on getting an adult rescue.

I don't think I'll ever own an ASD even though they are my breed of choice to foster. IF I did own one I would get it as an adult.

Forget it...I'll be blunt....I do not want another puppy. I am an adult dog kind of gal and I guess maybe that's from years of fostering both puppies and adults and I've never had a pup grown up in my house but I've had adults grow old waiting for a home.

Guest Mutts4Me

:roflt:

I love this post :)

I also love when people are so anti-Labrador. My first dog (one of 2) was a black lab, and I loved him, of course I did. But I will never own another Labrador ... like Tammy said, they're just too much... plus I have this irrational bitterness toward them for reasons DO mentioned, everyone thinks they're perfect, and they're not.

I will never own a scent hound - I don't do baying.

I'm not big on small dogs, and I think I'd only own one by accident (it just ends up in my yard or something). But if I lived in a warmer climate, I might consider a Crested, just not in Michigan.

I don't like little poodles, but I love standards.

I love Border Collies and JRTs, but I'll not own either because I don't think I could provide them with the stimulation they need.

I also love Rottweilers, but I don't think I'll ever own a pure one (I love Rott mixes).

I'll never own a Pit Bull or Akita PUPPY because I will always have a multi-animal household. So since my two favorite breeds tend to be animal-aggressive (what's wrong with me?), I'll only get adult rescues whose compatibility with other animals has already been set and distinguished. I'll still take the precautions, but I won't get a puppy only to have it change at 2 years old. (see, Tammy, you're not the only one).

I'm not really a small dog person, although as a child I had 2 pekes and a terrier/corgi(?) mix that I absolutely adored. I think the only small dog I would seek to own is a Boston Terrier or a Frenchie (they remind me of little Boxers...lol)

I also can't see myself ever having an overly 'hairy' breed that needs a lot of grooming. I'm partial to short single coated breeds

Temperament wise, I'm not into aloof, independant dogs...so a lot of the guardian breeds are out.

Overall, my heart is with the Bully and Mastiff breeds (I just love smushy-faces).

...thats why I have Boxers...they're a nice compromise.

I'm very picky about dogs. It would be too long a list to mention what I would NOT own soooo I'll list what I would own and WHY.

Definitely more APBTs in my future, I've loved the breed before I even adopted my boy. I plan on showing and doing more weight pull with them in the future.

Other than APBTs, I think the only other breeds I would own are Dobes and possibly Rotts.

I like short-hair, medium to large, working breeds.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][color=indigo] :lol: Where's Court and Kendalyn to set us straight?! :wink: :P

[/color][/quote]
Well, Tucker (*ahem* the Lab) says up yours! *snicker* :P

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've only ever owned the one Lab, Tucker who's here now, and he has always been just the perfect dog. He was a shelter throwaway and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

We have seen some of the schizo and psycho Labs that come into our clinic, but they are usually linked to a particular "breeder" in our area. Most of the rest of them are pretty cool. I guess it would be hard to like them if all you ever saw were the knuckleheads.

DO, you're right about how they get so fat, though. We see so many obese Labs, it's unreal. :-?

ask and you shall receive..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes, I love Labs. and Goldens, and most scenthounds and hunting dogs (even with the bay) as you all know. However, I wont defend them, for
many reasons. Labs are unfairly protrayed as the best thing since sliced bread, and thats why those of you who rescue see them, and their mixes, constantly. as was mentioned, you cant get a lab without realizing in no time at all that they are high energy. not nearly as high as a BC, say
(which I wouldnt own cuz I workfull time and it wouldnt be fair to the dog)
but high enough energy that yes, they WILL destroy your house if they're
bored, they WILL escape after an interesting scent, they WILL take over your household if you let them. and yes, they DO bite. "Perfect Family Dog" only applies when the family takes the time to train them, exercise them and make them obey. yes, make them. they often require a strict hand, even with formal training. My labbie x would be a nightmare for an
unknowing owner. cute, sneaky, openly defiant, sometimes aggravating...she needs someone who will put their foot down and at times MAKE her obey. SHe knows all the commands, she will at times openly refuse to obey them. These are intelligent animals, many (like Free) capable of intelligent disobedience. lauded in a well trained guide dog, a nightmare in an untrained house dog. i.e...if I let free out and then call her to come back in, she wont if she hasnt finished going. Some people might make her come in, and then be mad at the mess that will happen.

that said, I will probably always own one, since I understand them and with that knowledge they do make great pets.

Now, while I will fight for the right of anyone to own a Pittie(or any other type of dog) I personally will not own one. I am not home all day, and I am a multi-dog household. Sadly, I would not want to take the chance.
and I would not want to have to seperate them or crate one. I come home from work and my two are cuddled up together on the couch or the bed. Laurel being raised in a pack, requires close body contact with people and Free. Free is just learning to tolerate it.

No miniature poodles, altho I like the standards. Sorry HF, but I'm just not a small dog person. No chihauhau's, or JRT's, or Yorkies, etc.
Someday maybe when i cant handle big dogs anymore, I'll get a Papillion.

I couldnt keep a sighthound, Greyhound, or whippet. While I KNOW better, I couldnt look at the dog at its proper weight without thinking it was sick......and too skinny. I would not be a good owner of these dogs.

also, (now dont shoot me) I doubt I will EVER have another puppy.
Cute, yes. Cuddly? yes. Too much work? YES.....and I prefer shorthaired dogs overall.
Oh, the one exception to my small dog rule would be a beagle.I could easily live with one of them. NONE of them can bay as loud as Laurel does.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually can't think of any breed that I would never have. I tend to like medium sized, active, playful, easily trained dogs, and hopefully will always be able to have one of them. But it would be nice to have a big, slow, calm dog, or perhaps a little "poofy" dog TOO, even if I'd not want one of those types as my only dog. I won't ever have a show-bred golden or lab (and probably other breeds...), though. Whenever I see a bulky (not fat, just BIG!) golden/lab ambling along sedately without much interest in anything going on, its hard to believe that it really is the same breed as the hunting/dual-purpose goldens/labs! :o But they are of the same breed, so I guess that doesn't really count for this.

Dogs I'll never own........ :o

Any dog that drools....... :lol:
No tiny ones..... :fadein:
No Labs, Rottweilers, German Shephards, Dobes, Pit Bulls, Akita's, Boxers.

And every dog I've just mentioned above I've owned or come into contact with and have loved, just not for me. :wink:
I think each and every breed are beautiful in their own way and function. :angel:

Just to throw this in.....I will never have a Lab and it's not cause other people think they're great and that gets my panties in a twist........ :lol:
I have a Lab/Rottweiler cross right now and she's the sweetest, most beautiful dog I've ever had. BUT, I'll never be able to repeat her......so I won't try !!! :wink:

[quote]DO, you're right about how they get so fat, though. We see so many obese Labs, it's unreal.
[/quote]

[size=2][/size]they're so cute when they beg.

[size=3][/size]really though, a lot of that is that they can and do look pathetic when they're begging, and they're sneaky. you have to be firm willed to ignore a begging lab. most peoplearent, but a family of 5, everyone sneaking food to the dog when the others arent looking, makes for a fat furball....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Divine_Oblivion']Where's Court and Kendalyn to set us straight?! [/quote]

hahaha :lol: Well I don't want to set anyone straight, but I do think that Labs are a very hot or cold issue among dog lovers. Just as it's sort of the "in" thing for families to own them, it also seems to be the "in" thing for people to dislike them becuase of their popularity!

Labs are like any other breed of dog. They have their positive and negative traits. But I do think that they're a decent pick for the novice dog owner with a family.

Now, on to the topic at hand!

I can say I would never ever own a Doberman or a German Shephard.

Doberman's just look very odd to me and I can't imagine actually choosing that breed of dog. I can appreciate that other people think they're cute or even beautiful dogs, but I don't see it. :oops:

GSDs just don't appeal to me at all. I'm sure they're great dogs, but again, if I were going to choose a purebred dog to own, it wouldn't be a German Shephard.

I would stay away from most of the small breeds as well. I'd rather have something over 30 pounds at least.

I will always be willing to adopt a Lab, paticularly a black one, but never buy one from a breeder - here is why. These are the listings for labs on Petfinder:
Labrador Retriever 10765
Chocolate Labrador Retriever 614
Black Labrador Retriever 3763
Yellow Labrador Retriever 1358
and some of these are probably labs too
Retriever 786
That is about 17000 Labs for adoption. They account for the bulk of the dogs on Petfinder, just under 3 x more than the number of pits or similar breeds. The next highest breed is GSD at over 12000. After that its border collies, beagles and rottweilers - under 3500 of each.

Labs are slow to mature, high energy, shed, have oily coats and many have a genetic predisposition to obesity. However, with the right handling and careful food management they make excellent pets for the right family/person.

[quote]Labs are slow to mature, high energy, shed, have oily coats and many have a genetic predisposition to obesity. However, with the right handling and careful food management they make excellent pets for the right family/person[/quote]

thats another thing. the coat. too many people I know with labs bathe them WAY too often, which washes out the natural oils. They NEED those
oils to both protect them from the cold (makes them water reistant) and to keep their skin healthy. they are short haired dogs, and even with the double coat, they need those oils to keep the coat healthy and to protect them. the bad side to that is that if they lean up on your walls, they leave marks. My answer to that was to paint the house with "kid paint". its a
completely everything proof paint. crayons, markers, food, lab oil, doesnt matter. all it takes is sponge and water and off it comes. I dont think most people realize how oily a labs coat will get(they are complete fluffballs when puppies) when they buy them. Then suddenly mom is tired of scrubbing the walls after they grow up....

The #1 breed that fits this thread... AFGHAN HOUNDS! For as long as I can remember, my heart has said, "Yes! Yes!", and my brain has retorted, "NO! Crazy woman, do you want to killyourself? Nooo!"

Afghans are, im my mind, one of the most beautiful breeds in existence. They are elegant to the extreme, which is something I prize in a dog - heck, it's what I love about dobes! BUT - the coat, the "holier than thou" attitude, and did I mention the coat? Too much for me, thank you very much.