Dogomania

meat or no?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok so thanksgiving we had venison and turkey. my aunt from washington was over and we were done eating. i gave my st bernard some of my meat scrapps and she had a fit! she told me that feeding meat scraps caused a dog to be vicious! is this true or is it just an old wives tale?

Guest Anonymous

i saw your answers and called her and she told me its red meat. anything? sorry this may sound dumb and i know i should visit a site about this but they all give you different answers!

[i] One of the most widespread myths the manufacturers of some (mostly poorer quality) products perpetuate. They claim that table scraps will upset the balance of the commercial dog food, but just like like humans, dogs do not require a diet that provides uniform meals every single day of their life. Dietary deficiencies do not appear overnight but need a long period of consistently poor nutrition to develop.

Dogs will also not automatically get fat, learn to beg at the table, or refuse to eat their own food just because they are fed table scraps. They will, however, do those things for various other reasons, like being overfed, not trained properly or just plain spoiled.

It is important that you do not feed junk food, candy, items that contain a lot of artificial ingredients, high amounts of fat, salt or sweeteners. Leftover meats (or meat trimmings), pasta, rice, oatmeal, baked or steamed potatoes and especially fresh, raw or lightly steamed vegetables and fresh fruits are healthy additions to a dog's commercial diet. Moderation is the key and of course you need to substract the amount of foods you supplement from the total daily ration of dog food. Carbohydrates must be processed in order to be digested by the dog. This is either achieved by finely grinding, pureeing or mincing, or gentle cooking or steaming - but not at excessively high temperatures or for long time periods. [/i]

more info [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood]here[/url]. :)

hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bunch of B.S.. Really. My sled dogs consume about a half of a [u]ton[/u] of raw meat each winter- beef, turkey, venison and fish. I'm able to let them run around together loose, and they also interact perfectly with many other dogs they do not know at races. If that isn't enough evidence, here is a pic of my 65 pound male Bernie allowing my 6 lb Pomeranian to "help him" clean his dish....
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQAbA9MaT6sBsQYQpcB31AZfkY5E5E*aIU7U4xJg8!GA314J!S7ld6XE5BYlHS6p!9v*tz8h8eeKa7v!0pSFq!ru64opy1vdgoXNpGHY1TlYZIQAdr2b1g609dhpk0lq8fphWX*rW78/0619650-R1-034-15A.jpg?dc=4675500527124896106[/img]

All of my dogs eat raw meat and all 5 eat side by side with no issues. Food aggression is the result of poor training and lack of rules in the household. It really doesnt have much to do with the food. I have seen small spoiled dogs get very vicous when eating a bone or kibble meal...because the owner allows the dog to get away with it the dog will guard whatever it has. Some owners inadvertely encourage guarding behavior.
My dogs will sit nicely before I place their meals in front of them. Same goes for raw meaty bones, they will sit nicely before they get one...they know there is no reason to fight over them. My Rottweiler and Dobie mix will lay side by side and some times chew the same bone.