Dogomania

Dillemma

Rowie-the-Pooh

On Thursday me, Nadooshkinz and a couple of other friends went to visit the BSPCA. Of course, seeing Heidi again made me fall in love with her even more. We stayed there for two hours, so that I could test their temperments and such. Three puppies that caught my eye were Scruff (the really hyper but super-cute one), Heidi, and a older puppy named Ragu (cute name or what? :)). Heidi, I noticed, is very laid back, and is perfectly content to laying down at your feet or jumping all over you to get to the brush in your hand (the ONLY thing they wanted to play with, despite the puppy pen being filled with toys!). Scruff was SUPER hyper, he nipped a lot (he made me bleed last week), and loved being groomed. Ragu was inbetween the two. He was old enough to be taken for a walk so I did, and although he was obsessed with the lead, was okay with it. I kicked a ball around for him, and unlike Heidi and Scruff he actually followed it! :lol: He got bored after a few minutes, though.

I want to save all three of them, but of course I can't. So I thought up pros and cons for each:
[b]Scruff[/b]: Scruff is pretty hyper, so Rowie will probably like him a bit more. I'm just scared he'll annoy her with his constant nipping! He reminds me of a younger, male version of Rowie. He'll also grow up to be bigger than Heidi and a bit stockier (judging from his chest width). He'll be a bit harder to handle since he's so hyper and headstrong. Sometimes I don't know if I'll be able to handle one adult dog with very high energy and a small hyper puppy?

[b]Heidi[/b]: Heidi is going to be very slender and long legged when she grows up. She's very quiet, and going to be very easy to handle. I don't know about her on a leash, but I think she'll be okay to handle. She did nip a bit, but stopped once I took my hand away and said sternly "No". When I sit down, she comes and sits by me or on my lap. She's very quiet, never barks at the other older dogs but is curious and is always looking out of the sanctuary and onto the road. I'm just scared she might be shy when she grows up, since sometimes when I tried petting her face she'd close her eyes and her ears would go back a little. But thats because the people who take care of the sanctuary (the employees) are sometimes mean to the dogs when they bark and yell at them or hit them. :( So I'm sure she'll come out of her shell once she's home? Also, I'm a bit worried she'll be frightened of Rowie. She comes up to Rowie's elbow and Rowie is a high energy dog so I'm a bit scared she might be shocked? I'm not saying this puppy isn't hyper at ALL, because she is. Which puppy isn't? She's just much more laid back than Rowie.

[b]Ragu[/b]: Ragu is such a sweetie. He walked well on a lead except for biting it a couple of times, and with a slight tug he'll stop sniffing whatever he's sniffing and come running up to you. He's a bit bigger than all of them, so he'd probably come up to Rowie's shoulder. He's outside with the big dogs so I don't think he'll be worried around Rowie. And he isn't considered "pretty", he's pretty normal looking and I don't think anybody would want to adopt the poor dog so if I do adopt him I'd be saving a life-ya know? But I don't want to adopt a dog JUST because I feel sorry for it. Also, he does bark a lot and my grandma is our next door neighbour and HER neighbours had THREE dogs that barked ALL THE TIME and she was sooo glad when they moved out and bringing in a barking dog would just make her go MAD (she already hates Rowie :roll: ).

So there you go, of course there were a lot of adults there but I didn't feel like any of them were for me. They brought in this beautiful abused Great Dane. All white, skin and bones, saddest eyes ever. He STILL came up to me and started whining. A Great Dane/Pointer mix that was a BEAUTIFUL merle colour was there too, looked like he was somebody's pet VERY beautiful and sweet. Started whining when I wouldn't pet him!
Okay, sorry for all the questions and the long post, this is a HUGE decision!

Sounds like a big decision :-)

They all sound like pretty good choices. I would go with either Heidi or Ragu. I think in an earlier post you were really drawn to Heidi, so maybe you want to pick her? She doesn't sound that shy to me. But you're probably not getting a real look at any of their temperments since they're in a shelter situation and except for Ragu, they're still puppies.

Can you bring Rowie in and see how she reacts to Ragu and Heidi?

[quote name='kendalyn']Sounds like a big decision :-)

They all sound like pretty good choices. I would go with either Heidi or Ragu. I think in an earlier post you were really drawn to Heidi, so maybe you want to pick her? She doesn't sound that shy to me. But you're probably not getting a real look at any of their temperments since they're in a shelter situation and except for Ragu, they're still puppies.

Can you bring Rowie in and see how she reacts to Ragu and Heidi?[/quote]

Thanks for answering, Kendalyn. Yes, I was really really attracted to Heidi! I was thinking that too, she's in a shelter and is probably very nervous about it. She was only picked up two weeks ago and isn't very used to it. Thats why I think she'll come out of her shell once she gets used to our house. My mom saw her Thursday and fell in love with her! I'll probably adopt Heidi or Ragu, actually. I could bring Rowie to the shelter, or they could probably bring the two pups to our house or somewhere neutral for them to meet. I'll ask! :)