Dogomania

When should puppies stop breast feeding?

kingston

I am taking care of a friend's female dog and puppies.

The puppies are 5 weeks old. I heard the mother is suppose to stop them from breast feeding but this mother letting them continue.

I can take the mother back to my friend's house but I wanted it to limit the trauma. They were separated one day and the mother was having a fit.

What is the process and when should I do it?

Thanks,

If they are already eating solid puppy food, jsut let mom and "nature" take their course, she will eventually wean them on her own but dont take her away from them this early, even when they dont nurse they still need her for a few more weeks to learn other things.
My fosters were about 5 wks when I got them and still wanted to nurse, but at that point mom was trying to wean them and would get up and walk away - it was probably 6 - 7 wks before they were fully weaned.

They really should have started being weaned onto porridge/weetabix and puppy food at the age of 4 weeks. Wean them now. Take Mum away from them and offer them a flat plate of food. They will likely walk through it to start with then get the idea. When they are finished let Mm back in with them. They should be given solids 4-6 times per day depending on what size they are. Pups will usually continue to suckle off Mum and she will soon start to get fed up and want to have her own time. Remember to cut the puppys nails with cuticle scissors as she won't tolerate them scratching her.