Dogomania

Doggy day care?

imported_Matty

OK, I have a really horrible job that I hate. I was thinking about maybe taking a massage therapy course, checked into it and wow the course is right expensive. Any how, I got thinkin about maybe setting up a doggy day care, in my city we do not have one :o and we only have about 2 dog kennels. Thats not including the vet clinics which board. Any how, back to doggy day care :lol:
In your areas is Doggy day care a big thing?
What courses beside dog first aid should I take, I have never taken any courses but I read a lot.
Is there any courses on line I can take? they don't offer any animal care tech courses around here. Not a vet tech course, just animal care tech.
I know a behaviorist in my area, I was thinkin about talking to her about behavior. I do know some stuff.
I will have to check out zoning and also find a rentable area where I could have a fenced in area. It will also have to be easy for people to drop off and pick up on their way to/from work.
should I make up a survey and drop off at the local dog groomers and vet shops to see if there is a demand?
should I make sure Im not steppin on any ones toes? I am pretty sure there are no doggy day care as there is nothing listed in my phone book.

Does any one know a good site. I have been surfing the net and can't find any good sites.

Is it hard to set up your own business. Im not married and have no one to support me, am I crazy?

I was also thinkin in time to take courses like T-touch therapy for dogs only, and a little massage therapy for dogs only. That way for geriatrics I would be able to offer a little extra for them. :wink:
Do I have to be a behaviorist or obedience trainer before starting some thing like this?

I dint know what kind of training is required, but you;d have to understand doggie behavior, be able to spot potential "non get-alongs" ahead of time, and you'd need insurance. And lots of it, just in case.

The place you rent would have to be zoned for the keeping af animals, the property would need to be kept very clean, as well as the inside, and you'd most likely want a place out of the way of residential areas and
eating establishments, because of the barking. You'll need permits, and a site inspection, every year. I would check with the better business bureau, for places in your area you could call to get more info.

There are two doggy day cares in my area run by the same people, but I don't think they're that well known, because when I got Peanut, I was telling people about enrolling him there and nobody knew what I was talking about.

I love doggy day care. I enrolled Peanut in Pee-school, where they help potty train your puppy. Total hooey, at least in the case of the smaller dogs that they don't see having a pee until it's over, but it was SUPER for socializing Peanut to all sorts of other dogs and humans. Now when we meet another dog or human, he is super excited to make friends. I didn't enroll Pixie, because it costs a lot of money to teach your dog it's ok to potty wherever you want to, and I can definitely tell the difference socialization-wise.

Plus, as a bonus it wears the little guys out to be running around all day, and they just snooze like anything at night. I was talking to another owner one time when dropping Peanut off, and she told me she brought her dogs in every Friday to let them get their energy out so she could go out.

Anyway, good luck!

I have an ebook on my website about starting and running a doggie day care business [url]http://www.indulgeyourpet.com/dogs/petbiz.html[/url] thought you may find it useful ;)

The pet industry is at an all time high right now. Baking dog treats is another profitable, popular business you can start (if you like to bake that is).

Good Luck!

• 3 years later...

Hey Matty,
I live in L.A. and doggy day cares are super popular out here. In fact, I used to work at one. The best day cares out here have an a huge open room for all of the dogs to play together in. There is usually about one or two (depending on # of dogs) attendants in the pen with all of the dogs keeping them active and making sure everyone is getting along. Our day care had a web cam in the pen so parents can log on and see their pup throughout the day. The pen also had plenty of cots for dogs that get tuckered out and need a nap. Good luck out there! Day cares are an awesome alternative to leaving your pup at home all day.