Dogomania

Dog's very smelly ear

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 14 year old snauzer with a double ear infection. she has been to 3 vet's and yet we can't get rid of the awful smell coming from that ear. she has been on all kinds of medications and none help with the odor. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. We are at our wits end. Thanks

First off, what are you feeding your dog? My first recommendation would be to find a natural home made diet you could follow. You could also try some of the hypoallergenic foods out on the market. A friend of mine with a white boxer who had many allergies switched to California Naturals with great success. When a dog has ear infections it is often times the result of an underlying problem. Allergies, yeast build up in the body and bacteria can all result in ear infections. I would also add probiotics (friendly bacteria found in natural yogurts that state live bacteria) is a great food source to add to your dogs diet. I would also give the dog more omega 3 fatty acids which can be found in hemp oil, flax seed oil (or as I like to use organic ground flax seeds which I grind at home in a coffee grinder), Wild pacific canned salmon is a good source as well.
There are many wonderful books out there that are great starters for a natural homemade diet. Dr Pitcairns book Natural health for dogs and cats is a good book to start with. I am sure others will have lots of suggestions for you in the regards to good books to read.

A good suggestion for a nasty ear infection from an article in WDJ
Use a combination of boric acid and an ointment called Pellitol. Boric acid dries and acidifies the ear. Yeast and bacteria are opportunistic organisms that die in a dry, acidic environment. They thrive where it's moist, dark, and alkaline. Place 2-3 pinches of boric acid powder in each infected ear unless it is ulcerated, bleeding or painful. Being acidic boric acid might irritate open wounds. In that case just use the Pellitol alone. Otherwise, a pinch or two of boric acid is an effective preliminary treatment.
Boric acid is toxic; shield the dog

Ensure that you aren't letting the inner hairs grow excessively. Schnauzers along with other breeds are prone to little tufts of hair growing and blocking the ear canal which blocks the flow of wax and air and results in a horrid smelly yeast infection. Keep the hairs out by gently plucking them and also make sure the outer hair has the hair well clipped back so that the ear can be aerated. Use a few squirts of olive oil in each ear and massage gently. Using a tissue rolled up (not cotton bud) clean out the goo and gunk from the ear. Repeat this a few times every day.

Most importantly if it isn't clearing up then let your vet see her, as at her age she is susceptible to secondary infections which could compromise her immune system and ultimately her longevity.

you'll have to find the underlying problem instead of just treating the symptoms that manifest themselves as an ear infection. otherwise you'll never get it cleared up entirely.

i agree with cassie - diet is an important factor and you need to examine what you are feeding. it's quite possible that one or more ingredients just don't agree withy your dog. allergies are malfunctions of the immune system and symptoms manifest in many different ways.

meanwhile, to combat the ear infections and to help the immune system along, you can start giving a good probiotic supplement (a human grade acidophilus product would be good) and either "blue power" ear treatment or the pellitol cassie mentioned already.

also a daily dose of fish oil (not cod liver oil), up to 1000 mg per 10 lbs of body weight would be a good idea.

When you say double ear infection do you mean yeast + bacteria in one ear or an infection in both ears. We had the yeast + bacteria in one ear only.

I had the problem with my Rott when I was taking her to the hydrotherapy pool. We tried various antifungals and antibiotics to no avail. We also tried ear cleaning solution followed by ear drops concurrently with this treatment.

The vet finally decided he would anaesthetise my dog and flush her ear out. That together with ear cleaner and drops for another 10 days did the trick and we have never had further problems.

I have the recipe for blue powder but have never used it. I am quite happy to pass it on to anyone who may need it. Firstly though you need to find out by swab if the infection is bacteria or yeast.