Dogomania

Off leash time

imported_nea

Buck is offleash whenever I let him outside throughout the day. I don't have a fence, his recall is excellent and I live on a dead end. Plus, he just goes outside to do his business and comes in.

I take Buck to an outdoor preserve about once a week where he is offleash for part of the time. It's technically not allowed, so I only let him offleash there when I see no other cars in the parking lot and it's during the week in the middle of the day.

I live near large areas of hunting ground and anytime it's not hunting season we go there quite frequently and he can run all he wants. I wouldn't dare let him near there during hunting season though.

I'd say he gets quite a bit of offleash time. He does get daily walks on leash though.

I let Meg off most of the time except when crossing busy roads, but I have 100% trust in her to respond to commands. Zoe on the other hand only gets off when in a very secure field! Most laws in N.I are strict in that dogs should always be on the lead in public places. We don't have dog parks so most people take their dog to a park and let them run free there. Usually the dog wardes would pass through the parks and are fine as long as the dogs are under control. There was onlty one snattery git that I came up against a few years ago when I was doing obediece training with meg. He was a new warden and I explained to him that I had permission from the council which I had, but he was still very ratty about it.

Guest Anonymous

the only time my dogs are on leashes is at the stores and the vet. other then that they ar eoff leash at home and they play in their dog run with no leash.. to really get a good run we go to the dog park that's off leash

my dogs are always offleash in the yard, but it's 80x100 and fully fenced.
outside of the yard they are onleash at all times unless I take them to an offleash park. The laws here are VERY strict. A dog caught roaming offleash is immediately picked up by AC and taken to their facility, where it is caged until the owner can be contacted. If the owner cant be found, the dog is given over to the local shelter, which is no kill, and adopted out if possible. Now for the bad part. If AC cannot catch the dog, and it has no collar on with a visible rabies tag, they can and will shoot it. There is a lot of wildlife around here that can carry rabies (skunks, raccoons, etc) and they wont take the chance. If they are able to find the owner, its an automatic $350.00 fine. Doesnt matter how it got out. However, if you know it got out and you call AC (or the police dept., AC here is part of the police) they will help track it down and not fine you. They assume you are a responsible owner if you call them and say "my dog slipped the yard and was last seen at this location". they will try to catch it and bring it back to you then. I got Alex back after he dug out of the yard, even though he had no tags on his collar yet (I was fighting with his previous owner over the tags) because I called him in missing to the police.

p.s. AC and the police here all carry binocular cameras, so they can zoom in and photograph whatever tags the dog has on. The rabies tags are required to be fastened so the tag number is on the outside (they can actually write you a ticket if its backwards!) and having the tag number they can call the County and find owner. Like I said, VERY strict....

If they cant read the number, but the tag is there, they will still try and catch the dog without shooting it. Without the tag, the dog has little hope of escaping. That's why my dogs collars are never taken off. Of course, even without a collar if the dog is friendly and can be caught they wont hurt it. They will snare it in a catch stick if no collar tho...

Ilsa gets daily offleash time in the mowed field across the street frommy house. It's far away fromt he street and separated by trees and a huge parking lot, so it's quite safe. Technically there's a leash law, no no one in the neighborhood follows it when it comes to using the field!

Our yard is fenced....so they are always off leash in the yard.

We are also in a brand new development, so during the summer, they would be off leash with us all the time all over! We were all by ourselves for over a month so they had the run of the place. But if we go to the park.....stores....vet....they are always on a leash.

My dogs are offleash virtually all the time since we have a fenced yard. My smallest Poodlet Peanut goes with me virtually everywhere and is very seldom ever leashed. We technically have leash laws, but I admit I often fail to comply. I ALWAYS have a leash with me, though, usually in my purse. She never, ever leaves my side and, whether this is stupid or not, I believe her to be 100% reliable (ok, technically, no dog is 100% reliable, or so they say, but... :oops: ). In the 5 1/2 years I've taken her places with me (stores, insurance companies, banks, any business [excluding restaurants] that doesn't specifically say "no dogs allowed"), she's earned my trust. Depending on where we are, I'll sometimes snap a leash on her solely for appearance's sake (so it looks like I have her under "control"), but not very often. I reckon since she's a smaller dog, no one has ever minded, especially since she is very well mannered (not barky or jumpy or climbing up people's legs, never approaches people who don't invite her to). However, whenever I do take Perry (one of my Standard Poodles) into these places, even though I find him to be just as reliable and mannerable as Peanut, he is always leashed. Double standard? Maybe so, but I just think people are probably a bit more uncomfortable seeing a larger dog "loose" than a smaller one. For some reason, I've run into many people who are afraid of my Standard Poodles. :-?

Rowie's offleash when in our yard, but outside is leashed 100% of the time. Unfortunately, we don't have ANY dog parks or ANY large unfenced areas for her to run in so she'll have to do with the yard now.

Court, the laws are the same here, except if the dog is wearing a collar he/she will be taken to the BSPCA. But if no collar is found on the dog than they shoot it. I remember I used to take horse riding lessons a few years back, and one of the stable owner's GSDs was shot because she had no collar on. That was a sad, sad day. :(

My dogs are allowed loose in my yard; most of my yard is fenced in. I also have 16 acres, which I walk with them off lead. I put them in the fenced in area when I am not there to supervise, but, when I am out with them I will do yard work with them loose...I live way out in the boonies and don't have many neighbors to worry about...I would only worry about a couple of my dogs with high chase motor pattern to chase an object and possibly ignore my recall...even though their recalls are wonderful...you can never be too sure what is going to interest your dog more...you or a rabbit :wink:
They are also off lead at my place of work. At the boarding kennel my boss has 2 acres of land fenced off with 9-foot high panels. I put her dogs out with my dogs, its great for the social interaction.

I don't allow my dogs off lead anywhere there is busy traffic or children playing. Although all of my dogs are great with their obedience and their recalls are 100%...there is always that one time when some thing may be of more interest to the dog than my calling him/her back to me. :wink:
My Newf's are big dogs and although I know they would never harm any one...but, they could unintentionally knock some one over.
With my Rottie she has a high prey drive and due to predatory drift I would never trust a dog with high prey drive around running screaming children, cars or any fast moving objects...you can never be sure your dog is not looking at the children as little prey objects. It

Eli is off leash in the backyard every once in a while, but I have to put sheeba in the kennel so he can rome free..but that's no often..

I take em to the baseball park now, and i am going to try and do that everyday.
they usually play for about a half hour or so.
i give em as much tiem as they want but about after 30 minutes they are usually bored lol

maggie is always off leash, the only time we put her on a leash is if there are kids or lots of people around.
she is off leash in the backyard, and she is off leash in the front yard when someone is out there, and she is off leash at the park, lake or wherever we go.
it's because she is old and never wanders.

ozzy is also off leash in the backyard, and in the front yard when someone is there, and off leash at the park and lake because he is a good boy and doesn't wander.

there are leash laws, your dogs are suppose to be on a leash when not in an encloused area, but nobody cares as long as you have your dog under control.

What's a leash? Just kidding!
My pack is offleash in the back yard, fully fenced, off leash in the front yard, they are ONLY out there when I am as it is not fenced.
They mostly respect my rule of no leaving the front yard but I am VERY vigilant and constantly look up and down the road for anything that might tempt them to go visit.
I take them to a park almost every day for off leash running and playing. I even changed my schedule at work so I can take them to the park early in the morning. It is not an off leash park. I have been going there for about 5 years now. During peak times, there have been as many as 30-35 dogs running, playing, socializing. Most people are very responsible, they pick up after their dogs and rein the dog in if it's getting overstimulated or snarky. For those that are not as responsible about cleaning up, many of us will step forward with a smile and the offer of a baggie. Usually that gets the point across. It almost cracks me up to see the look on some peoples faces, 'oh, you expect me to pick that up?' Er, YES I do.
The park is about 9 acres on one side, there is a small grove of trees and brush, then another 9 acres. We stick to the back 9 as the front area has what we call a mosquito breeding facility smack in the middle. My girls LOVE to race back and forth through the mucky icky dirty stinky nasty wetlands. I prefer that they not do this. 8)

Zebra is only off leash in the house. Everytime he steps one paw outside he is on a leash. It's kinda sad but we don't have a fenced in yard and we live on a busy street. When he goes out he is usually on a 30 ft. leash so he does get to move around where he wants to. I can't wait till we move (hopefully soon) and get a house with a yard for zeb. :D