Dogomania

Who would put this on their dog?

True_Pits

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God this thread got so... immature! :roll: glad things are settled though.

Anyway... how do you know that person is telling the truth though? I hope that person isnt lying and if hes right then its good to know the collar isnt damaging.

But I have to ask all of you who say they dont care what other people think about their dogs' collars... isnt this being kind of selfish? I mean, you should be thinking about all the stereotype you are adding to when you do this. I get where youre coming from and if you want to loo a certain way thats fine but youre dog doesnt have the choice, but Im sure your dog doesnt want others to loo down on its breed just because you dont care what other people think.
Thats just my view on things though ad I certainly dont mean to offend by saying it either.

Ugh True_Pits, thats not seriously yours is it??? I would hate to think after saying all you did about those chains that you actually use them on your dogs.

Heh, I knew someone would think the seller might be lying.. Why would he though? What would he gain? If anything, he would lie about it being HEAVIER than it actually is, to make it more attractive to people who DO use weighted collars. A heavy collar is more likely to confirm to the "macho dog" look this guy is advertising. A light collar might seem more "sissy" to someone looking for a macho collar, so I doubt this guy would lie about the collar being lighter than it actually is. I think he is telling the truth about its weight.

~Seij

[quote name='crazy_canine'] I mean, you should be thinking about all the stereotype you are adding to when you do this.[/quote]

I suppose that depends on your point of view. So the stereotype for this collar is that if I put it on my dog it must mean I want a big tough dog, with a big tough neck that could do well in the pit?

Is it [i]still[/i] adding to the stereotype if I look nothing like a thug and my dog is a perfectly well behaved therapy dog who does nothing but cuddle sick children and old people all day? Why [i]couldn't[/i] I do this and have my dog wear that collar?

The point is, I could, and if I did, I would NOT be adding to any negative stereotypes. It would be a good thing even. :-)

[quote name='crazy_canine']but Im sure your dog doesnt want others to loo down on its breed just because you dont care what other people think.[/quote]

Now you're anthropomorphizing a little too much. Dogs don't understand the concept of peer pressure, or being accepted by the general public. They don't know what it is to be looked down upon. How many mutts have you seen be embarrased because they're not pedigreed? :)

[quote name='xavierandrea']OK I have to put my 2 cents in for what its worth. I have 3 Rotties. I use all kinds of collars on them. I have the " Spike" ones, nylons, leather, bright pink, smiley face,choke chain, prongs, you name it I have it. Why because I like it.I like the variety. On the girls I have to use the prong collar and the chokers at all times because of the fighting that we experienced between them. The older members know what I went through with my girls. With out the prongs and the chokers on I have no control over my girls and they will snap at one another and a fight might start. I can not risk that. But Asim breaks through every collar we have. He is a very powerfull dog. He will be 2 in a few days and has broken through 5 choke chains, 3 nylon collars, snapped 2 leather collars. We use a real chain on him now but only when we take him out though. I don't think a collar will make a dog "vicious". I would use it because it is different and
looks strong enough that Asim probally couldn't break through it.
Oh who,,, I ready for the attacks.......[/quote]

If I had a dog who was breaking out of collars, I'd buy it one of these:
[url=http://www.blockydogs.com/]Blocky Dog Collars[/url]
In fact, I wish I could buy one, but my little dogs would look ridiculous with a collar that size. These are awesome, well-made collars!

My dogs have lots of different collars, including some which are relatively unique, but I would never put a collar on them which was supposed to make them look "tough". We're fighting BSL here... the [i]last[/i] thing I want to do is to play into people's stereotypes which make them fear bully breed dogs. It's easy to say that people shouldn't judge by appearance, but people [i]do[/i], and it's silly to ignore that.

[quote name='Seijun']If anything, he would lie about it being HEAVIER than it actually is, to make it more attractive to people who DO use weighted collars.[/quote]

Well, if he wants to sell it to someone who might be concerned about it weighing too much, then he might lie saying its lighter but I dont know if, when he was asked, if there was an hints to that or not, so thats probably not the case.

[quote name='kendalyn']Is it still adding to the stereotype if I look nothing like a thug and my dog is a perfectly well behaved therapy dog who does nothing but cuddle sick children and old people all day? Why couldn't I do this and have my dog wear that collar?[/quote]

Yeah I see your point... but if someone was walking by, say a pit bull, and saw that collar or a chain on it, do you really think theyre going to be impressed? And dont you think people are intimidated at first sight of a therapy dog with a chain aroud its neck? What if the dont give the dog a chance just because of that?
I mean I get what your saying perfectly kendalyn! :wink: :D ...I just think that, in many cases, first impression means a lot. If someone could do what you said the that would be great but most of the time people dont explain, or better yet prove, that their dog is loving and not some monster...

[quote name='kendalyn']Now you're anthropomorphizing a little too much.[/quote]

:lol: yeah I suppose... I was just trying to prove my point. If that person who though your dog was "vicious" were to do somethig to harm your dog though, then Im sure your dog wouldnt be too happy about that.

[quote name='Sarahstaff']It's easy to say that people shouldn't judge by appearance, but people [i]do[/i], and it's silly to ignore that.[/quote]

Thats part of what Im tring to say! :D

Those collars look great... although it seems like even thick collars seem to be stereotyped with "tough" dogs too. :roll:

Hmmmm... those three mastiffs look familiar... :-? Oh I know now! Someone on another board Im at owns them, I think. Heh, cool! Oh sorry :lol: :oops: I just babble on like that all the time.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__'][quote name='Seijun']If anything, he would lie about it being HEAVIER than it actually is, to make it more attractive to people who DO use weighted collars.[/quote]

Well, if he wants to sell it to someone who might be concerned about it weighing too much, then he might lie saying its lighter but I dont know if, when he was asked, if there was an hints to that or not, so thats probably not the case.

[/quote]

My exact email to him was "About how much does this collar weigh?"
So I don't think I gave him any hints about my concerns, unless he is just paranoid or something :D

~Seij

Thank you for taking the time to email them. I'm so glad to know that this isn't a weight collar! Then I really have no problems with people wanting to use it. I don't like the idea of negative steriotypes but I'm not going to attack people who want this type of collar or a spiked collar, I'm only concerned about those who use the heavy weighted collars. I don't think the seller would lie about the weight, your going to have to pay for shipping.

[quote]This dog belongs to True_Pits. I'm just curious because it looks at least as heavy as that collar.[/quote]

Say what? A no that dog doesn't belong to me, I'm not sure how much the chain weights. It has bigger links then the ones I use but sometimes looks can be deceiving because I don't think its all that heavy as it might appear. Being made from a lighter material, but I couldn't tell you. But get your facts straight please before you make statements about me.

Since you posted that picture a while back, I thought the dog belonged to you. I apologize if I was mistaken. :-)

You did make this comment in regards to that setup though:

[quote name='True_Pits']However I'v never been able to find a safer source then this type of set up and its what most long time breeders have used for decades thats always been a no fail way.[/quote]

The only reason I asked that question was because I was confused. I knew you favored chains for tie-outs and I was surprised you were concerened about the weight of that collar. I really wanted to know how heavy the chain is.

[quote name='bullylover']only 1lb 6oz! :o wow,looks more like 5 pounds.its unique looking,i dunno if i would put it on my dog but its unique looking. :P[/quote]

I thought this from the beginning. If that collar chain was steel, it would weigh about 5 lbs, but I believe its aluminum. Can look like steel at a
1/4 of the weight. I have seen them in stores, and picked them up, and they are very lightweight. They look "dangerous" (that collar is all about looks, and not about training or compliance) but they dont weigh much.

Most of the studded collars are aluminum too. lightweight, but look tough.

[quote]Since you posted that picture a while back, I thought the dog belonged to you. I apologize if I was mistaken.

You did make this comment in regards to that setup though:

True_Pits wrote:
However I'v never been able to find a safer source then this type of set up and its what most long time breeders have used for decades thats always been a no fail way.

The only reason I asked that question was because I was confused. I knew you favored chains for tie-outs and I was surprised you were concerened about the weight of that collar. I really wanted to know how heavy the chain is.[/quote]

Okay sorry I should apologize too. She belongs to a guy who lives about 20 minutes from here. The chain is heavier/thicker then what I use, but its lighter then what it looks if that makes any sense. I know because I kicked it. My biggest thing with that chain is that it could be a little longer.

I don't retract my statement, however it has nothing to do with the chain or its size. The axel is the key, I remeber the post was about a tie-out STAKE, you can put an ultra light cable on it if you want, the point was that axels won't pull out of the ground.

Beginning of next year I might have that female, I hope to have her. She has a lot of potenial and she is just sitting their being wasted day after day and not living the life I'd like her to see.

Again I'm sorry too.

look on his website.
yea the chains LOOK heavy but that doesn't mean they ARE heavy(obviously demonstrated here because most of us, included me, thought the collar was heavy because it LOOKED heavy :lol: )
I bet those chains don't weight more than 5-10 pounds.
and that is totally different from a heavy collar, a collar is around the dogs neck and the dog has to hold it's neck up all the time and the added weight damages the neck, a chain is just dragged and it doesn't harm the dog.
it's like weight pulling, dogs can pull hundreds and thousands of pounds and it doesn't harm them :)

Yeah we got fooled, I'm sorry. I assumed that about the collars because thats the only kind I've ever seen. Never seen any that were just for looks, I'd rather more people by them because some people at the shows buy the weighted collars just because of the way it looks and their dogs have to wear them just to look "cool".

They are mine except for the red nose boy in the bottom left corner, don't have him anymore. It depends on what the chain is made out of on how heavy it will be. I don't use the big heavy chains because I don't have my dogs chaine up to look "cool", "vicious" or like junkyard dogs, some people do that. Its true that the weight of a chain being drug around is different then weight on a collar which strains the dog more and puts pressure on the dogs neck, but chains that are too heavy worn for extended amounts of time can still be harmful IMO. Its not necassary to put them big heavy chains on the dog so you know its just for "looks" again, I use what I need to because I have to not something that says "look at my big bad killer dog".