Dogomania

What do you think of Green Cow Tripe?

imported_Cassie

Solid Gold makes it? I don't know what their "version" is, Cassie, but I buy green tripe just at the plain ol' supermarket. TDG was telling me it's wonderful for many reasons like the enzymes, the chewing benefit, the calcium to phosphorus ratio and such. I'm sure she'll elaborate more. I just didn't realize that Solid Gold sold green tripe. :o

HF, my local Solid Gold distributer just started stacking it on their shelves. I was so excited :lol: I bought a few cans just to try out. For some reason I cannot find tripe at the local grocer or the butcher I go to.
I am just curious if it contains all of the same benefits as the "real" tripe.

It contains:
Green Beef Tripe, Beef Broth, Potato, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Garlic, choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, A-Tocopherol, Vitamin E supplement, Zinc, Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Vitamin D Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Selenomethionine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate.

I was also curious if Tripe is some thing which should be fed a few times a week or perhaps a few times a month? I don't want to over do it.
This Tripe would not be very good for the chewing benefit. It is canned and looks just like a canned dog food. The only difference is the smell :-?
Its no wonder my dogs go crazy as soon as I open the can, if it smells bad my dogs will either want to eat it or roll in it :lol:

canned tripe is generally more of a "dog food" type of thing. the overall benefit is about the same as when comparing fresh foods to canned products - certainly not bad, but also not quite as good as the "real thing". the tripett canned tripe is better, it only has tripe, garlic and a natural binder as ingredients, while solid gold's product has potatoes included. (that's not a bad thing per se, but you get more tripe per can fromt he tripett.)

it's nice to add now and then, but the full benefit only comes from unprocessed, fresh, green (meaning uncleaned, unbleached) tripe.

HF, you are lucky to find that at a grocery store, all i ever see there is the bleached, scalded stuff.

i would recommend buying pure, frozen or fresh tripe over the canned stuff. here are some resources for ordering:

[url]http://www.greentripe.com[/url]
[url]http://www.omaspride.com[/url]
[url]http://www.halshan.com[/url]
[url]http://www.bravorawdiet.com[/url]
[url]http://www.hare-today.com[/url]

or you can look for local sources through the raw feed suppliers groups on yahoo. i get mine through a supplier for about $1 a pound.

DivineOblivion19,
Here is a little write up about Tripe from one of the websites provided by TDG.
BTW, thank you for all the links TDG. I started to read the first one. I think it would be worth my while to order some.

[quote]I am sure you are thinking, "...what is Green Tripe and why devote a whole website to it?". The answer to that is simple, because it is the best, most natural food you could feed your K9 friend. It has been a well known secret of top breeders/kennels of performance dogs for years. The following excerpt from Juliette de Bairacli Levy's book, The Complete Herbal Book for the Dog, says it best:

"I would suggest breeders make good use of such flesh foods as the following:...paunches of all animals (the raw, uncleaned paunches of healthy grass-fed animals can be fed with much benefit to all breeds of dogs). I learned this from a gypsy in the Forest of Dean: this man had bred many famous greyhounds, and he told me that such fare was the finest of natural food tonics."

Tripe is the stomach of ruminating animals. These animals (i.e. cattle, buffalo, sheep, deer, goats, antelope, etc.) are classified as being four-footed, hooved, cud chewing mamals with a stomach that consists of four chambers. The four chambers of such a stomach are known as the rumen, reticulum, omasum and the abomasum. The food the animal eats (i.e. grass, hay) is swallowed unchewed and passes into the rumen and reticulum where it is then regurgitated, chewed and mixed with saliva. It is again swallowed and then passed through the reticulum and omasum into the abomasum, where it is then further broken down by the gastric juices, amino acids and other digestive enzymes. Yummy!

So how can something so disgusting, be so good? These same gastric juices and enzymes not only aid the animal in digestion, but also aid the dog in digesting and efficiently utilizing his food. The amino acids are necessary for muscular development and, the other gastric juices, I believe, are the best cleaner for their teeth!

In an analysis of a sample of green tripe by a Woodson-Tenant Lab in Atlanta, Georgia, it was discovered that the calcium:phosphorous ratio is 1:1, the overall pH is on the acidic side which is better for digestion, protein is 15.1, fat 11.7 and it contained the essential fatty acids, Linoleic and Linolenic, in their recommended proportions. Also discovered, was the presence of Lactic Acid Bacteria. Lactic Acid Bacteria, also known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus, is the good intestinal bacteria. It is the main ingredient in probiotics.

Finally, because of it

that article sums it up pretty well. :)

in germany (where i was born and lived until 5 years ago), tripe is a major part of home prepared diets of the serious dog folks and has been for decades.

it stinks horribly but the dogs love it so much that even those who are sick and refuse any other food will often eat the tripe.

my dog adores it, but i have to wash his snout after each tripe meal, since his scruffy beard sometimes has bits or liquid stuck to it and i can smell it from several feet away. *shudders*

i'm glad i can buy it ground tho, i really couldn't see feeding large chunks on a regular basis. i think i'd have to bathe my terrier mutt after each meal. :o