Dogomania

Which breed of dog??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I am new here so I hope that I am posting this in the correct location.

I am starting to look into getting a new dog. I had a dog growing up, but have not had one in several years. I really would like something that I can do a little bit of obedience and agility work with. I have never done obedience or agility, but I do have a very strong background in animal training (big on positive reinforcement and behavioral training methods).

I am currently looking around at different breeds, and would like to get some ideas of breeds to read up about. My family has only ever had poodles, and they are on the list, but I want to look around a bit first.

Here are my requirements:

Low/No shedding (little to no "doggie smell")
Intelligent (I can handle strong willed)
Medium size (I would love something in the 20-35 lb size range)

Other things I am considering:

I do not have a fenced yard, so all exercise will be on lead, but the dog needs to be safe off lead for obedience/agility work

I have young nieces living near by that will be supervised around the dog, but will be around for a few days every few months (I am willing to spend a significant amount of time socializing a puppy).

I am currently home a significant amount of time during the week, but I will graduate from college in a year and a half and am currently uncertain as to where I will be living and whether I will be in grad school or working

TIA for the help

I would suggest a mixed breed shelter dog because they come in all shapes and sizes and seem to be so intelligent and responsive compared to the purebreds I've known. (Please don't flame me all you purebreed owners, it's just been my experience!)

However there is your "Low/No shedding (little to no "doggie smell") requirement. Is this for allergy / housemate reasons or are you just averse to the hair and "eau de doggie"? I haven't known any that don't stink once in awhile, but if you keep up with the baths and dental care there is usually no smelly problem.

It kind of sounds like you want a Poodle! :lol:

A poodle would fit all your categories! I'd go for a Standard Poodle because they are sooo awesome but they might be a little large for your size requirements.

A mutt is always an excellent choice as well. You will have a harder time finding a non-shedding one though.

[b]Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier [/b]
Origin: Known in Ireland for more than two centuries, the Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier was the poor man's hunting dog, a slayer of vermin, a herding dog and a watchdog. Wheatens are thought to be one of the ancestors of the Kerry Blue Terrier. The tousled-looking farmer's dog attracted little attention until a terrier match in 1932 when a group of fanciers decided to form a club. The breed was first dubbed the Irish Wheaten Terrier, but that was considered too close to the Irish Terrier, so it was changed to the present name. The breed was first exhibited in 1937 and placed on the list of native Irish breeds. In the beginning, the breed was shown in its natural shaggy state but when other terrier fanciers derided them as looking like so many haystacks, the owners began to 'top and tidy' them, eventually resulting in the familiar scissored trim now seen in the North American show ring.

[b]Temperament: This is indeed a dog that licked the Blarney Stone. The Wheaten is a happy, steady dog with an aura of self-confidence, inquisitive and alert[/b].

Activity level: [b]A bit more laid-back than many other terriers[/b], the Wheaten is still spirited, enjoys activity and is ready and willing to learn. He requires no less than a daily brisk walk to satisfy his exercise needs and more will be appreciated.

Height/Weight: The ideal height for a male Wheaten is 18.5 in (47 cm) and weight should fall in the range of 35-45 lb (16-20.5 kg). Females will stand 17.5 in (44 cm) and register 30-35 lb (13.5-16 kg).

[b]Coat: The non-shedding, hypoallergenic coat is abundant, soft-textured and wavy.[/b]
Colour: Pale gold to warm honey is the colour of the Wheaten. Darker shading may be found on the ears and muzzle. Pups are born dark in colour and lighten to wheaten as they mature.

Grooming: Thorough brushing is needed on a regular basis to prevent mats. It takes considerable scissoring skills to trim the coat in the accepted show style.

[quote name='hunt_jumpfl']
Here are my requirements:

Low/No shedding (little to no "doggie smell")
Intelligent (I can handle strong willed)
Medium size (I would love something in the 20-35 lb size range)[/quote]

looks like a standard schnauzer would be a pretty good fit for you.

[quote]In my experience this statement could not be farther from the truth. I've not done any research on the breed or anything but we do see quite a bit of these dogs and every time I see one I'd swear it was on CRACK[/quote]
Happens to a lot of purebreds, they become so inbred they become high strung and hyper. Happens with horses too, like thoroughbred. Keep them locked in a purebred for too long and they start getting problems. Sigh. They start out as mixed breeds, become purebreds and then they have to be inbred, then you got yourself one crazy mixed up manmade purebred. How stupid dog breeders are when it comes to genetics. sigh again.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, thanks for all of the comments and suggestions so far - please keep them coming:) As for a few important things that have been touched on by a few posters... Yes, I am a college student, but I am a what is considered a non-traditional college student at the age of 26. I do not even come close to living the life of most college students. As I have touched on in my prior post, I do not know what my life will be in 2-3 years, but not many people do for certain. I definitely appreciate the concern and suggestions that this may not be the right time for a new addition to my life. I do understand that this is not a decision to be made on a whim, and I am trying to take my time and make sure that now is the time. I grew up with animals and have owned and ridden show horses for many years so I understand the commitment that an animal requires (including the bills). I also understand that a dog is a commitment for the lifetime of the animal in which I am a big believer.

I started with a list of "requirements" for a few reasons. First, in my experience it is a good idea to have some basic idea of what type of animal suits your personality and life best (am I wrong here?). The second has to do with my current (and possible future) living conditions. I know many places, including my condo where I now live part-time (when I am not in school), do not allow dogs larger than 30-40 lbs.

As for some of the breed recommendations, I have always loved Dobbies, but they do not make my list of possibilities because of size. I have recently come across the German Pinscher (though I understand they come closer to a terrier in personality) - do you know much about the GPs?

I would consider a mix breed, but I am probably more likely to go with a rescue. If I decide to go with a poodle or another "popular" breed I will most likely go the rescue option.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Matty'][quote]In my experience this statement could not be farther from the truth. I've not done any research on the breed or anything but we do see quite a bit of these dogs and every time I see one I'd swear it was on CRACK[/quote]
Happens to a lot of purebreds, they become so inbred they become high strung and hyper. Happens with horses too, like thoroughbred. Keep them locked in a purebred for too long and they start getting problems. Sigh. They start out as mixed breeds, become purebreds and then they have to be inbred, then you got yourself one crazy mixed up manmade purebred. How stupid dog breeders are when it comes to genetics. sigh again.[/quote]

Actually, this tends to happen in horses when they are not bred with a good temperment (and proof of pre-potency of the trait) as one of the requirements of the sire and dam. Race thoroughbreds are bred for speed - plain and simple. In the US today they are also being bred to race younger and shorter distances. It is a gross generalization to say that Thoroughbreds are all crazy or quiet (as I am sure it is to say this of any dog breed), but you can find differences in temperment (in general) as the breeding/bloodlines and what the animal was bred to do differs.

[quote]In my experience this statement could not be farther from the truth. I've not done any research on the breed or anything but we do see quite a bit of these dogs and every time I see one I'd swear it was on CRACK![/quote]

The Wheatens I've known (both the ones we treated when I worked for a vet, and the ones I've encountered at agility & obedience trials) have not been hyper at all, and have met the temperament description in their breed standard pretty well. Maybe there is just a bad strain of Wheatens predominate in your area?

Kerry Blues are another nice terrier breed, along the same lines, but a bit more zesty in temperament.

German Pinschers are supposed to be more terrier like in temperament. I've really liked the ones I've met, but I've heard that they can be rather sharp and protective. Probably not a good choice, as from what I've read, they aren't necessarily good with kids. Of course, I'm sure some are fine, but I think it might be best to choose a breed which is more typically good with kids.

I don't think a Stafford would be a good choice due to the lack of a fenced yard... Staffords should not be taken to dog parks... and the uncertainty of the living situation. Staffs are illegal in some areas, and many landlords will not rent to owners of "pit bulls", which SBTs are usually classified as. Don't get me wrong, this is my breed and I think they would otherwise suit well, but I care too much for the breed to recommend them to any less than the perfect home.

[quote]But why do you think they have any worse allergies than any other dog?[/quote]
Maybe its just me, but, it seems they have tiny little hairs that creep into your nostrils and eyes. Maybe I just have this problem. The owners say that the Dobie hair gets into the furniture, not just on it. It actually makes its way into the fibers of the couch and clothes and bedding. They say its also hard to get up when cleaning. Unlike other breeds the hair seems to take over and creep into every thing it can.

Course, I don't have a Dobe so I don't know. This is just what I heard from my friends. And also what I experienced when visiting.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Doberfanatic'][quote]I see that Dobe's have been recommended. They have allergies[/quote]

well, I only really half recommended them due to the fact that they are extremely prey driven. But why do you think they have any worse allergies than any other dog? Kira doesn't have any allergies and sagan is only allergic to wheat so far.[/quote]

ROFL :lol:

Yeah, I was confused, too... But I'll second Malamum's opinion that Matty means that Dobes are [i]bad for[/i] allgeries, or perhaps they have [i]allergens[/i]...

[quote name='Matty'][quote]But why do you think they have any worse allergies than any other dog?[/quote]
Maybe its just me, but, it seems they have tiny little hairs that creep into your nostrils and eyes. Maybe I just have this problem. The owners say that the Dobie hair gets into the furniture, not just on it. It actually makes its way into the fibers of the couch and clothes and bedding. They say its also hard to get up when cleaning. Unlike other breeds the hair seems to take over and creep into every thing it can.

Course, I don't have a Dobe so I don't know. This is just what I heard from my friends. And also what I experienced when visiting.[/quote]

This has not been my experience with the breed :wink: Most boxers I know have a more kind of coat that you are describing than the dobes I have had in my home. Also yes they can have allergies but of the dogs that I know I dont remember one dog that does have allergies, my dog isn't allergic to anything I have found as of yet :grins:

On the other hand I would not recomend a dobermann as a dog for a "novice" dogowner, they are not the easiest breed, they can be somewhat headstrong and dominant.

[quote]On the other hand I would not recomend a dobermann as a dog for a "novice" dogowner, they are not the easiest breed, they can be somewhat headstrong and dominant.[/quote]

Hunt_jumpfl doesn't sound like a novice owner to me. He/she said he/she has owned and trained dogs in the past. I think any breed will probably be in good hands with this person.

desertlady-i don't think low-shed and non smelly is antidog-it just depends on the coat you want. i have two double coated breeds who shed once or twice a year, really heavily, and have little to no "doggy odor". my dogs are a pyr and an elkie mix-hardly prissy! :D
along those lines, may i suggest a standard size American Eskimo? They are a spitz/nordic type dog, so you do get the coat blowing once or twice a year, but as I said, with my double-coated breeds, they actually shed very little the rest of the time. These are highly trainable, sociable dogs with a long history in performance, and the size would be right for you too. i don't know how they are off leash, you would have to talk to an owner about that. Good luck!