Dogomania

Beau ran off a cliff!

imported_Cassie

This happened yesterday on our walk. He is fine and not hurt. First before every one thinks I am a horrible dog owner I will explain how it happened.
I just moved into a new house the first of October, It is farther out in the country and I am 10 minutes from the ocean. The ocean frontage is mainly virgin forest and very difficult to get down to the beach. Any way, I prefer to walk on the ocean shore. It is deer season which means you can't walk in the woods.
On my way to my favorite hiking spot I stopped to talk to a neighbor. I asked him if he knew of any better hiking areas which lead to the oceanfront (I love walking on along the coastline). So, he said just drive about 5 miles and you will see a little path, drive down there and park your car and there is a little path which will lead you to the beach. So, I drive and see a little tiny path way, park my truck and proceed to walk...there wasn't much of a path just a cow path, then it just turned to brush. I knew the ocean was close and I started plowing through the brush to find the path that I knew must be there...all of a sudden the brush ended and there was a cliff, a drop off about 9 stories high. I just stopped in time, Athena, Cassie, Dilon and Tori sensed that some thing wasn't right and stopped short...but, poor little Beau and his attitude of leap before you look just kept going. Of course, this happened within seconds. It seems I just stopped short from falling over myself and then I just caught Beau going. There was absolutely nothing I could do. Luckily there was a ledge he landed on...he would have either been killed or broken every bone in his body if it were not for this ledge. I tried to reach down to grab him but he was out of my reach. Poor Beau was even trying to get up to me. I told him to sit and stay, as the surface was rock and some shale, which breaks away under pressure. I finally had to leave him there put all my dogs in my truck and drive down the road. I found the trail the man was telling me about at this point..a very obvious trail to the beach :roll: Any way I let all the dogs out and we ran down the beach to where Beau was trapped. It looked impossible, I debated weather I should go to a neighbor

I'm so glad he is ok. I was not thinking good things when I read the topic, my high school Physical Geography teacher had his Dobie fall off the Niagra Excarpment, cost him almost $4000 to save the dog but thankfully he could - I was really surprised that the dog survived at all and so pleased that he was willing to try to save it. Needless to say when we went on a feild trip to the Escarpment he was not too keen on us getting close to the edge.
Its a very good thing he waited for you, congrats on your training.

[quote name='Cassie'] First before every one thinks I am a horrible dog owner I will explain how it happened.
[/quote]

Well, I for one am certainly glad you explained. I would have thought you pushed him or kicked him off or something otherwise. :o

No, really, dogs would be perfectly safe living in bland, confined quarters all their lives. What a great life it must be to get out and do the things your dogs get to do. Accidents will happen no matter how careful we think we are.

I'm just glad it turned out ok in the end. 8)

It is very amazing at what we are capable of in extreme circumstances. I read once before of a lady who lifted a car off her child who was pinned underneath: o
Any one here would have done the same for their dogs if the situation had been theirs. :wink: You think you would panic, but, its as if a calm comes over you at a certain point, time freezes while you try to figure out a plan. :wink:

HF, you would be surprised at how many of my dog breeder friend