Dogomania

Rottweiler dog sled team

imported_Cassie

[quote name='DogPaddle']Well they are big and strong, maybe they wouldn't do as well in extreme cold weather but I bet they could do a decent job of freight pulling. The team looks very impressive in their harnesses.
Here is a link to an all Border Collie team:
[url]http://www.dogscouts.com/sled.shtml[/url][/quote]

they do look very strong and healthy, but I agree the cold might be a bit much.....are they double coated, like labs?

[quote]they do look very strong and healthy, but I agree the cold might be a bit much.....are they double coated, like labs?[/quote]
There are a few professional dog sledders who use border collies as sled dogs. Also Alaskan husky's are mainly border collie mixes. Alaskan Malamutes are useless as sled dogs cause they get hot too quick. They are too big to be sled dogs and would probably die on a sled race.

They make a lovely team, don't they :D coming from a Rottie owner this may be a little biased. :D

I have a genuine dog sled for my dogs as well. I will get a picture of them hooked up this winter. Maybe I'll call the Rottie owner and see if she wants to race :lol: I have never had them hooked up to a sled before, so this could prove to be quite interesting. :lol:
I got my sled for free; it

[quote]Malamutes are good for long distance and/or freight hauling. The don't go fast but they can haul a mean load and go all day. The just don't race well. [/quote]
They are large draft dogs and can pull weight. But as far as sled dogs used up north even for every day life they are useless. They are too big and get hot too easy.

Maybe you are thinking of the now popular oversized version of a Malamute. One of my profs bred, showed and competed in sledding events with his Mals - in cottage country no less, not a paticularly cold winter. They did fine, even won once in a while. They did races more suited to their breed of course. He also used them for camp/sledding and took them out on canoe trips in the summer - they ran along the shore keeping up to the canoes all day. His dogs were average or slightly under standerd Mal size, but not much. He had one giant in one litter and refused to include him in his breeding program or sledding. Lancaster was such a cutie though, big hairy beast that used to love nothing more than leaning against you until you buckled and fell down for snuggles.
[url]http://www.alaskanmalamute.org/intro.htm[/url] , [url]http://www.alaskanmalamute.org/workgam.htm[/url] has some good info on Mal sled dogs and freight sledding. Here is something from their site that is applicable.
[quote]The Standard of the Breed calls for a

Matty is correct that the giant show type Mals are useless, but there is plenty of"real" Mal in most Alaskans- mine run from 1/4 to 1/8-the two leaders in my sig pic are 1/4 Malamute .Most Siberians are just as useless,too heavy boned.Most Alaskans ar not, however,BC mixes.(Sorry Matty) :D Certain strains are heavy in Border Collie, but their build is usually not the best for stamina- backs are too short, hind legs not angled correctly. In Alaskans out of Gareth Wright,called Aurora Huskies, there is Siberian, village dog and Irish setter, and the hot new thing now is German shorthair crosses. Fastest thing on 4 legs as far as Sprint racing, but still need to be moved back tword Alaskans for distance.

[quote]Alaskan Malamutes are useless as sled dogs cause they get hot too quick. They are too big to be sled dogs and would probably die on a sled race.[/quote]

Sledding is not always about racing.

Malamutes were originally bred to pull very heavy loads, over long distances at a steady pace in extreme cold. Yes, they do get hot easy but most other breeds can

These are not designer sled dogs meant to show, but to race- Alaskans are an everchanging breed, and because there is no "registry" of what the dog is suppose to look like, racers will breed the existing Alaskan to whatever will make it run faster and farther. The "breed de jour" as I said, is the German Shorthair Pointer. I guess that I'm a bit old fashioned and like my dog to look like sled dogs. Then again, I hardly ever win races. To quote Malamum- "you can't have it both ways!" :D

Who remembers the Alaskan sled teams that hauled ass across country to bring vaccine to the outposts? They did a kinda baton hand off at every station, where a new series of fresh dogs were ready to go the next leg....were those Mals, or Huskies, or something else entirely?

saved a bunch of lives those dogs (and mushers) did. There was apparently no other way to get the vaccine out there....

I think the fact that Alaskans aren't a registered breed encourages people to "experiment" . That's how Alaskans came to be, and are still evolving. When I bred the litter which is the foundation of my current kennel, I had a sprint trained Alaskan named Teddy who I bred to a half Mal, half Alaskan because I wanted dogs that I could take out in any weather, but had the speed to get me from A to B in a reasonable amount of time. Teddy helped train all those new puppies to pull, but they soon were able to outrun him because Teddy was trained to run full out for 10 miles then take a nap. Old Ted spent many a trip home sitting in the sled because he simply hadn't been trained by his previous owner(a sprint musher) to pace himself. Our training runs now are aroung 15 miles at a brisk trot which translates to about 12 miles an hour. Sprint dogs are running around 22 to 22 miles per hour. :o

[quote name='courtnek']Who remembers the Alaskan sled teams that hauled a** across country to bring vaccine to the outposts? They did a kinda baton hand off at every station, where a new series of fresh dogs were ready to go the next leg....were those Mals, or Huskies, or something else entirely?

saved a bunch of lives those dogs (and mushers) did. There was apparently no other way to get the vaccine out there....[/quote]

I have always heard that they were sibes, but in the pics they look like mutts. I think they were probably just the "original" sibes, what they looked like before being standardized.

~Seij

Seijun, you are right- they were "Siberians", or actually dogs that were the foundation of current Siberians. If you look at Seppala Siberians (named after Leonard Seppela, of the serum run fame) they are not much like the current show Siberians. There are a couple of breeders in Canada that have some original bloodlines and are trying to bring back the original look and working ability. When I started mushing in 1978 I had registered Siberians, some of them having some Seppela blood. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics to scan.