Dogomania

How much hair can one German Shepherd shed..

Sharpeigirl

Guest Anonymous

Didn't you know that's why they are called German SHEDers?

I've fostered a fair number of them through the years and my friend who adopted 1pb and 2 mixes from me...I don't envy her this time of year!

Oh and just imagine if she was a 130 pound Anatolian...short hair doubled coated...I'll have red hair everywhere for months...thankfully he likes to be vacummed and Petsmart lets me use their blower in the evenings when it is slow.

I just finished grooming 2 German Shepherds this morning. Yes, I do get a lot of coat out of them.
I know it sounds kinds sick, but, when using the high velocity dryer on them I almost enjoy watching the clumps of coat come out :oops: weird on my part, but, almost hypnotic on the other hand. At least they don't come in with mats dread locks like many other breeds that come in :evil:

I know a lady who weaves dog fur into yarn for sweaters and other things. It was neat, I got to watch her spin it into yarn and I also got to see the things that were made from it. All were very soft, strong, and a lot like regular sheep wool. Next spring I am going to send her Shilo's fur just as a sample. She charges a LOT for the things she makes.

~Seij

Oh, I wasnt saying it was wrong...its really kinda cool and I would have loved to have a "Jarvis" sweater....but I dont weave or knit, and I cant afford to have someone else do it (Its VERY pricey, as you pointed out) but I bet it would be damn warm....what they pulled out of him was all
the down undercoat (I had him thinned every spring. summer made him miserable)and the fur was beautiful. Soft, warm, woulda made a great sweater.....or even the stuffings for a quilt...

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Another good use for dog hair is Coyote repellent :wink:
I was told this the other day by a friend of mine who owns a ranch. I have a pack of Coyotes in my back woods. (I know normally they don't pack..but here in Eastern Canada we have a large Coyote which biologists believe are a grey wolf eastern Canadian Hybrid.). Any way, the yipping and noise they make is unbelievable it sounds like a big pack out there :-? Plus it has been driving my dogs insane. This gentleman told me that you can take human hair or dog hair and sprinkle it around the boundaries of your property...he swears it will keep them away. It also makes sense, they are not stupid and usually will steer clear of humans or dogs.
I'll let you know how it works :wink:

I think Coyote natural life has changed. They are packing here too. They live in the forest preserves, and pack to hunt deer, and other prey. The deer population here is out of control, which some people think is why the coyotes came back. there are foxes now too, who hunt the smaller raccoons and and possums. I think they can change better then we can. They have adapted to the current hunting conditons, but a full grown deer is too much for a solitary coyote...

Yes, Coyotes will pack when taking down big game. But, mainly they live a solitary life.
The reason the biologists believe the Coyotes in our area are hybrids is due to the fact they are much larger than western coyotes-and they only started appearing in 1963. Also like wolves these Coyotes in Eastern Canada do not sweat through their footpads.

I can remember at the vets surgery we used to groom these persians and ragdolls for a woman who had bad arthristis in her hands and couldn't handle them. We had to keep the fur each time as her sister would then spin the fur into scarfs and hats and send them to people in 3rd world countries for winter. A nice idea I thought :wink:

[quote]I know it sounds kinds sick, but, when using the high velocity dryer on them I almost enjoy watching the clumps of coat come out weird on my part, but, almost hypnotic on the other hand[/quote]

I don't find it weird at all. I'm the same when I use my dryer on my two. Except I end up inhaling most of it - that is gross.