Dogomania

Psychiatric treatment for woman who breastfed puppy

Seijun

[quote]Dog behaviour experts expressed alarm that a woman was breastfeeding a puppy, fearing it could result in savage behaviour. [/quote]

Oh puhhLEASE! If a dog breastfeeds off a mother dog it does not grow up "savage", why should it be any different for a dog who breastfeeds on a human?? I can understand if the dog might grow up with a problem jumping on people, but I hardly think it's enough to make the dog "savage". Plus I don't see this woman's single action of breastfeeding a puppy as being a serious enough thing to warrent her a trip to the phsychiatrist. It is strange yes, but people do plenty of other things that are MUCH stranger. Perhaps she has a historry of mental illness, I don't know-I just don't think it is fair to treat this woman in that way just because she does things differently.

[url]http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3101393a11,00.html[/url]

[quote]Psychiatric treatment for woman who breastfed puppy
19 November 2004
By KAREN HODGE

A woman who had been breastfeeding her puppy so it would grow up to protect her baby daughter is understood to be in a psychiatric unit.

Kura Tumanako, of Hastings, said this week that she was breastfeeding her Staffordshire bull terrier twice a day because her own baby had stopped taking her milk.

Ms Tumanako, who is in her 30s, is reported to have said she did not want her breast milk to go to waste and wanted her puppy to grow up protecting her baby.

The Dominion Post understands she was being treated in the Hawke's Bay Hospital mental health unit yesterday.

A spokesperson for the Hawke's Bay District Health Board could not confirm Ms Tumanako was a patient in the unit because of privacy issues.

An associate of Ms Tumanako described her as a "lost soul". It was not known who was caring for her three-month-old baby or the dog.

Dog behaviour experts expressed alarm that a woman was breastfeeding a puppy, fearing it could result in savage behaviour. [/quote]

~Seij

Umm, that woman has SERIOUS issues and needs SERIOUS help. That is just not OK. I am sure the dog will be just fine, but I dont even think that woman has a right to keep her child. She'll probably be one of those that b-feeds till they are five for her own pleasure. OH my stomach!

well, theres always the tales of children being raised by wolves and apes....

however, although I dont personally care if she wants to nurse the dog,
I have serious concerns about the children. This is not a "normal" way to raise a puppy. I am concerned that she does have mental/emotional health issues that need to be attended to, for the childrens sake. Shes obviously not hurting the dog, but I am concerned about what happens
to the children.As they grow up and their friends find out about this they will be teased, ostracized and criticized. It's not right to do that to a child.

Think of what would have happened to any of you in school if your friends found out your mother was nursing the dog. It doesnt bear thinkihng about. Chidren are cruel, theres no way around that.

Children are cruel no matter what is seems.. I was teased all the way from 1st grade through 8th grade and the only thing "different" about me was that I wore glasses. It was weird that they hated me so much, because everyone knew and liked my mom- they called her the Bird Lady because she would come in every year with the Harris hawk and do a presentation on them.

~Seij

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop']I think she needs medical help[/quote]

I concur. There is just something not right about it. I don't think it's a healthy persons train of thought to think "Hey I just had a baby and I have this new puppy, I'm going to breastfeed it just like I do my child!". Especally since she thinks that it is somehow going to bond her dog to the child. :-? There is just something..off about her. Plus I can't imagine that her milk is very nutricious for the puppy. At the very least she needs to be evaluated by a pshychiatrist.

[quote]My take on things:

If it's ok to breastfeed a human baby, what's wrong with breastfeeding a puppy?

~Seij[/quote]

Um a human baby comes from your own body. Also a dog is an entierly differnt species of animals. If a woman was breastfeeding a deer or an opposum would it still be ok?

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone remember a while back there was a woman who found (Or something) a litter of orphaned pups and she breast fed them until another arrangement could be found? Several people I know said they would have done the same for a short term solution.

Would I have done it? Probably not...would I have expressed and given it to the pups in a bottle...yes.

Do I think this woman needs help? Don't know but an evaluation couldn't hurt.

Oh the comment about her breastfeeding until the kid was 5 because it felt good....couldn't be...the reason she was feeding the pup is so that her milk wouldn't go to waste because the baby stopped taking her milk.

there are women who breastfeed their children til 5 or 6. the LeLeche League encourages this (I personally think its wrong). Your body will continue to produce milk as long as it is being consumed.

in an emergency, and as a short term solution, I would give my breast milk to a puppy, but from a bottle. there is a emotional and psychological bonding that happens between mother/child during nursing. Between all mammals, actually. I nursed my son until I couldnt produce enough
milk to completely fill him (about 2 months) and then he went to bottle feeding. The difference is amazing. Nursing causes a "peace" that bottle
feeding cant equal. Having done it, and knowing how it feels, it concerns me that this lady wants to nurse this puppy. Its not as simple as sharing her milk.

I honestly wouldn't care if it was a cat, opposum, deer, or any other animal. Milk is milk (different compositions for different species, but it is still milk). The only big difference is where it comes from. So no, I would see no problem with her breastfeeding a goat, or having a human baby breastfeed off of a dog! I don't see it as gross either, especially considering I like scrambled eggs and everyone knows what part of the animal body THAT comes from, lol. There are people who have dogs raise tigers and the tiger cubs nurse from the dog-no one sees any problem there. I was breastfed til' I was 4 (with other supliments of course), and my parents once slept with bird eggs to help incubate them. Yes, I come from a strange family and I have a different "view" of how things are able to work-and yes I personaly would have no problem breastfeeding a puppy or other animal myself-but I'm not crazy. I deffinately have a different opinion on this than most here, but that doesn't make me crazy, just different.

~Seij

for what do you know? I strongly agree she needs psychiatric help, but was she in any way a danger to the baby? Nursing the dog would not harm the baby,since the baby wouldnt nurse. Without knowing the whole story I am concerned about the baby being taken away....I think sometimes family services jumps in too soon into these cases. and then, when there's real issues, they jump in too late....

[quote name='courtnek']there are women who breastfeed their children til 5 or 6. the LeLeche League encourages this[/quote]

A little off topic but is this really true? I somehow get their magazine sent to me through work and have only flipped through it, but it seemed more about natural parenting and just encouraging mothers to breastfeed (within the normal time frame). Though they probably tone down the mag so they don't lose advertisers.

they used to, years ago. I got some of their magazines at work too. They did get a lot of protests about it, so maybe they changed their policy, but I remember reading one and seeing the article encouraging feeding til 5 or 6. I would not want a 5 year old, in kindergarten, breastfeeding, personally. But thats me.

The thing about breastfeeding basically past the point of necessity is that a mother that does this, often does it for her own benefit. It may not be physical pleasure as it usually hurts pretty bad the older they get. But it is about their need for that emotional connection. They need the baby to depend on them completely. A rational, logical, sane person simply doesn't think that way. A caring mother would put the childs needs first. It messes with the kids psychologically as well. These children often grow too attached to their mothers and have a hard time being independent which carries over into adulthood. Maybe that helps explain to some of you why we think she needs help. She needs to learn to put her childs needs first not her own.

Whether or not you think it is ok for her to breastfeed the puppy, you have to admit this womans behavior is not that of a rational, logical person.

[quote name='courtnek']they used to, years ago. I got some of their magazines at work too. They did get a lot of protests about it, so maybe they changed their policy, but I remember reading one and seeing the article encouraging feeding til 5 or 6. I would not want a 5 year old, in kindergarten, breastfeeding, personally. But thats me.[/quote]

I don't think it's "just you," I think it's totally sick. Mothers who are doing this in our society are not thinking of the child's benefit, that's for certain. Sounds like the kids become pawns in fulfilling some bizarre philosophy or political aganda. Oh barf. I just hope it is not that common. If I turn up anything on my own that La Leche League is still encouraging this I will talk to my company's media manager and insist that we don't advertise in that magazine anymore. The idea of nursing a child till 5 or 6 disturbes me even more than the nursing a puppy thing.