Dogomania

What kind of housing is best for a dog?

Crested

I wanted to take this debate "out of Finland" too. This has become a pretty big debate on a Finnish dog board and I wanted to see what your views are on this.

What kind of housing is best for a dog? Cityliving in a small apartment or small-town countryliving in a big (I don't meen a huge house that costs huge ammounts of money, but a normal sized single house) house with a yard?

My views on this is that contryliving in a big house is better then cityliving in a flat, because if you've got a fenced yard you can let the dogs play free outside. In a city-flat you have to take the dogs out more often and on longer walks, because they can't get that energy out otherwise (without wrecking the flat).

Views? Opinions? Thoughts?

Truth is there are pros and cons to both. I have a house and fenced yard in the city. My dogs dont really like being out by themselves for too long. And I would never leave them outside unattended (ie no one home). Therefore it could be argued that when we did live in an apartment our dogs got more walks and one on one time with us, cuz we had to go out with them. Now I just let them out and then back in in 5 mins.

Its just not a black/white issue.

[quote name='bgb699']I dont think that either one is better than the other. I think what matters is how the dogs owner handles it and what sacrifices they are willing to make for the happiness and well being of their pets.[/quote]

Ya know.....I really have to agree! We have a fenced yard....and it's nice. But my parents don't have one....so when we go up there, we walk everyone. I really enjoy both ways!

I like the fence because I love to be out with the boys and play. But I also like the walks because I love to show everyone off!!! And the boys love to meet new people!

I don't think it makes any difference. A dog isn't supposed to get its excersize inside anyway, so why would it matter if it lives in a house or appartment?

I would prefer to live in a house with a yard so I could let my dog out and wait for him to do his buisness there instead of putting on shoes and a jacket, walking down the stairs to the door, going out, and having to go a little farther away so he doesn't ruin the grass and get complaints... But I would still take him on long, glorious walks too. For ME it would be easier in a house, but I doubt it would matter much to my dog.

I like having a fenced in yard as it gives the dogs somewhere to play, however they still get their daily walk.

I don't think it's the housing arrangments that makes one dog's life better than anothers. It's the amount of effort that the owner is willing to put into their dogs wellbeing that makes the difference.