Dogomania

I won't be getting a third dog after all

JackieMaya

The Golden Retriever rescue association turned me down as a potential adopter! They said:

[quote]"We are sorry to inform you that after reviewing your application and home visit report, we do not feel a rescued Golden Retriever is a good match for your family at this time. Because of the unfortunate backgrounds of many of our rescues, they require a great deal of time and attention." [/quote]

I'm really not totally surprised that I was turned down, due to (1) [i][b]Maya[/b][/i] being a protective alpha, (2) [i][b]Jackie[/b][/i] and [i][b]Maya[/b][/i] are SO close that it would be hard to introduce another dog; and (3) the fact that my dogs are home alone for 9 hours a day while I'm at work.

So it'll just be me and [i][b]Jackie[/b][/i] and [i][b]Maya[/b][/i] until one of them goes to doggie heaven (which I hope won't be for about 10 years), and then I would adopt a dog (from the same rescue shelter I got them from).

So hopefully [i][b]Hogan[/b][/i] and [i][b]Brutus[/b][/i] will find wonderful forever homes with someone else.

Guest Anonymous

aww *hugs* sorry to hear the news. but hopefully they will find good homes soon.. it was in their best interest. and at least you know they wont let them go to just anybody!

aww JM thats unfair... :( I know some wonderful people on an msn community called Golden Retriever and I am sure that they will be able to recommend a good foster for you. The people that you went through all that hassle with just don't seem to be fair. The people are fantastic at GR and tend to foster more in their own homes than working out of shelters .

[url]http://groups.msn.com/GoldenRetriever[/url]

JM I think it's ridiculous too. You are very gracious to the rescue but from what I've read here at Dogo the rescues (not just this one) seem very snobbish, considering all of the dogs out there just looking for a chance at life, shelter and love. I am glad they do their homework, etc. but the way they string people along is obnoxious, and then rejecting EXCELLENT potential owners like you really pi**es me off.

That's absolutely ridiculous! :x

You know, rescues shouldn't even be able to complain about having too many dogs to adopt out when they turn down perfectly good applicants!

It's one reason some people go to BYBs. They figure, why deal with the spanish inquisition [i]and[/i] still be turned down? While I wouldn't do it, after seeing some of these rescue applications I can't blame them.

I'd try another rescue or shelter if you really want another dog! You should be approved somewhere.

Thanks for the support everyone!

For now, instead of getting another dog, I'm going to donate some money to the rescue shelter that I got [i][b]Jackie[/b][/i] and [i][b]Maya[/b][/i] from. That way I'm still helping homeless dogs. I guess it was a sign that I should stick with just two dogs. And I happen to have the two best dogs in the whole wide world! Of course, I may be a bit biased.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19']I'm thinking that a breeder is where I have to go to get my next dog since the rescues can't evaluate people on different levels.[/quote]

I would let the rescues know this. They are being way too restrictive. It is totally possible to be a good dog owner and not have a fenced in yard. Try telling them that though. :roll:

Jackie, I went thru all of this. I HAVE a fenced yard. I HAVE another dog. They wouldnt let me adopt because I worked full time. Dont most people?

I have worked fulltime since graduating college. I have always had dogs.
They are not living in the real world. The dogs I have had never suffered
from being alone all day. They had other animals to keep them company.

The shelters are shooting themselves in the foot with this policy. Stay at home moms are not the norm anymore...

[quote name='Courtnek']The shelters are shooting themselves in the foot with this policy.[/quote]

I agree. Here's who the rescues want to adopt dogs to: An adult homeowner with a fully fenced in large yard, an endless supply of money but never has to leave the house, someone with no kids or other pets of any kind who plans to live in that house until the day they die and never go on vacation. :roll:

yeah that's realistic.

Sorry they won't let you adopt.

As much as I support rescues, they sure do make it impossible to adopt a dog, and then they complain about not having enough homes!!

My friend wanted to adopt another pitty, but they turnred her down because she already had one pitty :o .
umm, helloooooo, wouldn't that show you that she is a GOOD pitty owner!!!

I just don't get rescues sometimes.

When ya get fed up with rescues, try a shelter, they are less demanding on adoption policys...

Kendalyn wrote:

[quote]I agree. Here's who the rescues want to adopt dogs to: An adult homeowner with a fully fenced in large yard, an endless supply of money but never has to leave the house, someone with no kids or other pets of any kind who plans to live in that house until the day they die and never go on vacation.[/quote]

Isn't that the truth?!?

Anyway, I saw on the Golden rescue site that [i][b]Hogan[/b][/i] has been adopted! I'm glad to see that he got a forever home now (even though it wasn't with me).

Once one of my girls goes to doggie heaven (which I hope won't be for a LOOONG time), I'll adopt a dog from the same shelter I got them from. The shelter is very easy to deal with and they have real nice dogs. And in the meantime, I'm going to donate some money to that shelter (the amount that I would have spent adopting a new dog).