Dogomania

party tricks

rotten_two

ok people once again i am bored out of my mind at work [img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_23.gif[/img] so i was trying to think of a good discussion topic! don't know that this qualifies but what tricks in your dog's repertoire are your favorites?

my aspen can do so many tricks that i have a hard time choosing but it is adorable to see him wave and he can do it with either paw. you can give him verbal or hand signals. he also speaks on command at 2 volumes -- his inside voice or his outside voice. i would have to say my personal favorite is his weave thru my legs as we walk! ever see a male rottie weave? you have to take huge steps -- good thing my legs are long!

for gaia i love to see her crawl -- she gets in that frog dog position and belly crawls -- too cute. i am working now on a trick called pop where she springs up in the air from a sit. my goal is to be able to sing pop goes the weasel and have her pop appropriately -- oooh maybe even out of a box if i can find one big enuff!

i have recently taught them both to pick it when i drop something. most often they pick their kongs from the back corners of the crates -- really saves my back!

yikes where do i even start with Meg! The best one I taught her was probably to go to the far end of the field and when I gave her a signal she would race across the field and jump over my outstretched leg. Always a good one for doing demos at festivals and schools etc. Another one is where she walks backwards facing me and then with a very discrete finger flick she reverses through my legs. I have taught her absolutely loads for canine freestyle routines and she always gets so excited when we do them :D

Tricks are so much fun! :D Webby goes and finds his foodbowl (and brings it back) if I ask him where it is, which is cute. He plays the piano with his head, which is also very cute. And the new trick we're working on is quite fun too. He stands inbetween my legs and when I walk he walks too, when I stop he sits down. Kind of like a "heel" but on the other side of the leg! Those three would have to be my favorites I guess.. Oh, and when he finds people! I don't actually know if would qualify as a trick or not, but maybe! :wink: He pretty much digs people out of blankets and finds their faces... Visiting kids usually find that one fun- they get to be part of it, and once Web has "found" them a few times he feels that they are great playmates! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is kind of a late reply, but oh well. This last week, Scout learned to "wave." I tell him to "wave bye-bye" when ever we leave my mom's house and he does it perfectly. I can't believe how quickly he learnes things as soon as I figure out how to teach him -- which for me is the hardest part.

My favorite one that my dogs do is get beer from the fridge. I have other more impressive tricks for clients. But there is nothing like watching a game on tv with a bunch of friends and the dogs bouncing off the walls thrilled to retrieve beer. Then again they are Goldens they love to retrieve anything. But it's a crowd pleaser. Hockey season everyone wants to come to my house to watch the games. :)

I taught my boy to waive bye but he only does it for treats. How do I do it by waiving at him far away. And Im used to telling him bye when I leave so I can't use the world bye for him to waive. I guess I can use Hi instead. But how do I make him do it without treats. He does everything except for waiving bye.