Dogomania

Baucerons and Leonbergers

Westerlea

I suppose next to nobody here has either of my breeds. We breed working Beaucerons and Show Leonbergers. I've always had Beaucerons and my husband Leonbergers. We got started in the late 1970s with Beaucerons and a lot of sheep, and were unwilling to open up to the local dog breeders with their herding dogs who were so out of control, they themselves could barely catch them up to show them to us. We got into Leonbergers in 1989 with two large females who placed wellin shows. We had our first Leonberger litter in 1992 (6 puppies, evenly sexed) and they all (but 1) had successful show careers.

We take our breeding seriously, and believe no breeder should produce more then a maximum of 4 litters a year, depending on the purpose of breeding, and the breed. That's just our opinion, of course not everyone agrees with that, and we don't ask them to. :) We only produce 2 litters a year, for Beaucerons. They have a nice lifespan and are generally a healthy breed. We only produce a litter of Leonbergers a year, though for such a large breed they do have good lifespans (11 years).

I'll have some pictures up as soon as I get the jist of this whole forum deal. Thanks for listening to us ramble!

AllAmericanPup, you're from America I gather. There, I understand the overpopulation problem is at an all-time high. Four litters a year may sound loud for that area, but here we do not have such problems. Yes there are problems, but not to the extent they are in other noted countries, America probably has the worst. It's a sad sight.
Our kennel only has 3 litters a year, and we do not find that to be unreputable seeing as most people here enjoy using our Beaucerons for work, and our Leonbergers for show. They also give the best names to the breed.
We know plenty of kennels who only have a litter a year, if that, and we have nothing against them. Over four just seems a bit too much. Four is fine we think as long as it is within reason.

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']:o 4 litters a year is outrageous!
a reputable breeder should only produce 1-2 litters a year, but most produce one every 2 or so years..

JMO though[/quote]

what makes you say that a specific number of litters per year makes a breeder responsible or irresponsible? there are a lot of idiots out there who have only one litter per year and only breed genetic disasters and there are wonderful people who responsibly breed healthy dogs with sound temperaments but have more than 4 litters a year.

just calling an arbitrary number is ignorant in my opinion, you have to take all the circumstances into consideration.

[quote name='Westerlea']AllAmericanPup, you're from America I gather. There, I understand the overpopulation problem is at an all-time high.[/quote]

thank god it's not at an "all time high", but actually improving. of course the numbers are still scary, but definitely less than 10 or 20 years ago. it just seems that way since with the help of modern media (especially the internet) more people hear about what's going on.

[quote]thank god it's not at an "all time high", but actually improving. [/quote]

That's good it is improving, but to my understanding the designer breeds have effected America the most. I would think it is because the breeds are easier to get there with such a diverse culture. Last time I was there, I met the rarest breed I've ever met, a Tibetan Kyi Apso.
I also had the displeasure of meeting a Scnoodle breeder with low morales. Apparently, to her, selling to pet brokers was a big feat, and something to be highly proud of because the puppies reached a more numerous amount of people. :evil: :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pyrless, both are true!

Leonbergers were created using Landseer, St Bernard and Pyrenees stock. and Beaucerons do have double back dew claws.

The Leronberger was made primarily for looks. Not to look intimidating at all, but to look like a lion. The original breeder wanted a dog that resembled the lion on the Imperial Coat Of Arms of the Leonberg, Germany Town Hall. Using the breeds mentioned above, he got what he was looking for. And exactly what I love! :fadein: