Dogomania

Liscense to breed?

Seijun

Guest Mutts4Me

I've never heard of needing a license to breed domestics (though you need a license from the USDA to breed exotics), but there are often regulations on how many of a certain animal you can have at any given time. Here, if you have more than 4 dogs, you need to have a Kennel License (puppies don't count).

I wish they could regulate breeding of domestics like they do Exotics... not that the USDA does a great job, but it probably limits it to some degree.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of breeding or know someone who is?

Guest Anonymous

It depends on where you are.

In Los Angeles county for example, you do need a breeding license.
There is also a per puppy fee in addition to the license fee.

Most people do not know about that, and may get away with breeding with out a license for a while until they get fined.

The LA Animal control will sometime actually call ads in the paper and go door to door to find unlicensed breeders and fine them.

If you have more then three dogs, you also need a kennel license. If you do get a kennel license then you do not need a breeding license
However, there are a lot of requirement and zoning restrictions, so not everyone can get one.

That is how it is in LA County, other jurisdictions probably have similar restrictions regulations as well though.

As for the USDA, if you sell the pups directly to the public you do not need a USDA license.
If you sell wholesale, for example to pet stores, research labs or any other animal dealer, or you sell them for breeding purpose then you do need a license from the USDA.

As was mention before most do not need it, but many do get it do expand their selling (and profit) options.

[quote name='Seijun']No, it was just something I was wondering about. I had once heard that you needed a liscence if you had over a certain number of breeding pairs but I wasn't sure.

~Seij[/quote]
Actually, this is true in GA. The same vague license, though, applies to breeders who have a certain number of litters per year (unsure the number), groom shops & kennels. It's basically a kennel license and it's governed by our state Department Of Agriculture.

• 1 month later...

All I know is that all state and city have their own regulation. In my bf's city they won't let you have over 3 dogs. Animal controls checks up on every house to make sure they paid for annual fee and making sure if their are spayed or neutered. Also his not allowed to burry a dead dog in the backyard or you will get a fine. In my city they are pretty kick back but im guessing that my city probably don't have as much. My other friend that lives in another city 15 miles away he tells me that animal control do drive bys every week to make sure all dogs have their tags. You guys might want to check with your city.

[quote name='candy722'] And in every state and city you are allowed to have a certain # of dogs.[/quote]
Not every state and city. We legally have ten dogs and five cats, all indoor pets, no kennels or breeding. We don't have to have any kind of license to have them and there is no limit on how many we can have in my county. However, if I lived three miles further up the road within city limits, we would only be able to have two dogs on a residential property (unsure the limit of cats).

• 3 weeks later...

Dog license are required by law every dog, anywhere, in the county
Every dog over 6 months of age is required to have a current rabies vaccination and county dog license. This includes House dogs, Kennel dogs and Breeding dogs. State law and Jackson County Ordinance requires the license and anyone in violation is subject to substantial fines. Animal control enforces this law through contact while working cases, upon impoundment of an unlicenced dog, and by a door to door license compliance campaign.
So it's different everywhere.

I got this link here [url]http://www.co.jackson.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=106[/url]

[quote name='candy722']All I know is that all state and city have their own regulation. In my bf's city they won't let you have over 3 dogs. Animal controls checks up on every house to make sure they paid for annual fee and making sure if their are spayed or neutered. Also his not allowed to burry a dead dog in the backyard or you will get a fine. In my city they are pretty kick back but im guessing that my city probably don't have as much. My other friend that lives in another city 15 miles away he tells me that animal control do drive bys every week to make sure all dogs have their tags. You guys might want to check with your city.[/quote]

They knock on people's door and demand to see their dogs with no search warrant? Me and my lawyer would tell them to go to h***. (Even though I would never have an unliscenced or "intact" dog).

• 1 month later...

[quote name='candy722']Dog license are required by law every dog, anywhere, in the county
Every dog over 6 months of age is required to have a current rabies vaccination and county dog license. This includes House dogs, Kennel dogs and Breeding dogs. State law and Jackson County Ordinance requires the license and anyone in violation is subject to substantial fines. Animal control enforces this law through contact while working cases, upon impoundment of an unlicenced dog, and by a door to door license compliance campaign.
So it's different everywhere.

I got this link here [url]http://www.co.jackson.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=106[/url][/quote]
i think they are talking about a dif kind of licence. the one you are refering to is the "tags" that prove the dog has been vaccinated for rabies by a licenced vet.

the licence they are talking about is basically the "right" to breed your dog or own more than the alotted amount for that city/county etc. its kinda like a drivers licence for owning dogs. if that makes any sence. you can usually call your county court house to get the info wheather you need any kind of "licence" for your dog(s) other than the rabies tags.

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Here in Washington, in my county, I can have as many dogs as I want.
I am out of city limits. Animal control, the SPCA and I are all on good terms. Laws are different in each state and county.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

You don't need a license to breed but if you have the documentation / registration for litters like AKC for the purity of the breed that will of course make a big difference.

We offer anyone who wants to sell their puppies on our website for free. Check it out at [URL="http://www.mypetfinder.com"]www.mypetfinder.com[/URL]

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Seijun']Does a person need a liscense to breed dogs or does it depend on the individual state, the number of dogs being bred, and/or if the person plans to sell the pups for profit?

~Seij[/quote]

i guess it depends where you are residing in, i think some places needs a breeding permit if you really are in the breeding business or so... but if you just want to breed only so that your dog would have pups,i guess it is just okay:D