Dogomania

Canned pumpkin

gooeydog

I finally found some canned pumpkin at a store today (I've been looking for the past year, you'd think pumpkin would be kept in the canned veggie aisle, but noooooo...), and picked up a can. I'm sure that 2 dogs totaling 70 lbs won't eat the whole 14 oz can in one sitting, so is there anything I can do to preserve the stuff for a bit longer so it doesn't go to waste? Freeze it in an ice cube tray then bag it in the freezer maybe?

An aside, the training place we go to started carrying Nupro, so I switched from the wellness supplement to Nupro, Goo likes it much better than the wellness pills, so we'll see how it works. They've been on it for about 2 weeks now, and so far seems about the same as when they were on the welltabs. It did give them both (even Annie, the iron stomach of the house) the runs the first night I gave it to them though, I think it was a bit rich, but they're fine on it now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Why would you want to give a dog pumpkin?
I have seen feeding pumpkins to dogs mention before, but not sure what for. Does it have any medical/nutritional benefits?

Just curious.

the main reason to feed pumpkin is that it is an excellent natural remedy for both diarrhea and constipation. it works pretty quickly without any bad side effects.

that aside, it can be used as a low-calorie filler to bulk up food amounts for dogs who should lose weight, to make them feel full.

it is also a good source of vitamin E, pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and copper, and a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and manganese.

that and - it's very cheap to feed and most dogs love it! it makes a good treat for filling kongs!

• 1 month later...

I only just found the pumpkin in the store as well! For those who want an idea of where to look for Pumpkin in your local shop....try the area with the spices and chocolate chips (not cookies...just the chocolate chips for baking) You should find pumpkin there. But I, like another poster, do not understand why they are not with the canned fruit or veggies...very odd! :roll: