Dogomania

Ok, what is wrong with this story??

Seijun

You don't need me to count the ways... :roll:

[url]http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=2433192[/url]

(This should probably go in the News forum, but it will get read more here I think. Feel free to move this topic though if you feel it really needs moving.)

FYI, even though the article says "WOLF" I highly doubt it, looks like just a GSD mix to me (and it most likely is). Regardless, this is an excellent example as to why some people shouldn't have pets of ANY kind.

~Seij

it is remotely possible that he could have SOME wolf in him, although from the photo you cant tell that. My hound has a narrow face and long jaw!!

also, why was his paw still hurting? Did they take it to a vet and have it checked? was there no cast, bandage, any sign of being properly cared for? I feel very bad for the kid, but no one should approach a dog who is injured, and in pain. Even laid back dogs get upset when injured and handled. Thats why they always say never approach an injured dog, unless its muzzled. and they tell owners to try to outfit an emergency muzzle for the dog, like if it gets hit by a car...

Urggh, this makes me so mad! :x What were people doing with a pet wolf, anyway? Is that legal? And leaving a kid alone with an INJURED wild animal (and without knowing what his background was, anyway, since they adopted him from another family) is just plain stupid. Anyone with an instinct and logic should know that. This is so upsetting, of course an animal would attack anything that annoyed it while it was injured. Its irresponsible people like that that give dog owners a bad name...

But poor boy, too. :( None of this was his fualt, either. Him and the wolf where both victims here. Will he have those scars for life?

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']Urggh, this makes me so mad! :x What were people doing with a pet wolf, anyway? Is that legal? [/quote]

They adopted it, and it isn't a wolf, it was just misrepresented as one. I have been studying wolf/dog identification for 2 years now and IF that dog has ANY wolf in him, it is a very small amount at best, at least judging by that one picture.. (In wolfdog rescue it is not uncommon for someone to appear needing to place their "pure wolf". Almost every single one that I have ever seen wasn't a wolf, and of the ones that weren't really wolves, all were either pure dogs or extremely low content wolfdogs that could easily pass as pure dogs). And yes, even if it was a wolf, it would still be legal. That is not the real issue here. Ask yourself the question, what would YOU do if your pet was hit by a truck? Seems to me that this injured paw would have had to have been hurt pretty bad if it was still in pain over 3 weeks after the dog was hit. And they say they didn't know?? Ok, lets see, my dog was just hit by a [b]truck[/b], could it [i]possibly[/i] have been hurt by this? :roll: Furthermore, they let their kid play with the dog even though they KNEW it had growled at the child before. Their irrisponsibility has let to the death of their pet and the near death of their child.

~Seij

stupid parents! These people don't need any type of animal or a child.

wolf? Doesn't look much like one to me, not that I'd know, either way its not what the dog is, its how responsible people are.

The usual case of mistaken identity, like that Pit Bull bit me when its a totally different breed.

Its also like those selling or giving away Pit Bull mixes they claim are purebred Pit Bulls. Well I had the same thing happen with wild animals, this lady tried to give me a "pure artic wolf" that was nothing but some mutt. Then another try to give/sell me two lynx that were regular domesticated house cats....lmao people are funny.

[quote name='True_Pits']
Its also like those selling or giving away Pit Bull mixes they claim are purebred Pit Bulls. Well I had the same thing happen with wild animals, this lady tried to give me a "pure artic wolf" that was nothing but some mutt. Then another try to give/sell me two lynx that were regular domesticated house cats....lmao people are funny.[/quote]

:lol: You seriously saw someone trying to sell housecats as Lynx!? :D :lol: Now that's one I haven't seen yet. Seriously though, some people are so gulable to scams like that. On one website I was looking at there was a beagle mix that was for adoption, it had been sold as a pit bull. It had the low long body and long floppy ears of the beagle, I couldn't imagine anyone could actually have hought it was a pit bull. Another time I saw someone with a ROTTWEILER mix (looked almost pure rottweiler too, 'cept for the slightly more "Golden Retrieverish" face) that was sold to her as being 98% wolf. She wouldn't beleive me when I told her she might have been scammed out of money for it. Yes, deffinately hard to imagine the things people fall for...I don't own a pit, but I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you guys to see some mutt who attacked a person labeled as a pit bull. Of all the "pet wolf/wolf hybrid" attack stories I have ever read about, only one looked like it [i]might[/i] have been part wolf. I wonder what the percentage of Pit bulls are that were involved in attacks that were actually just misrepresented mutts/bully mixes...

Back on subject, I wonder if these people realized their dog was hurt after the first incident or if they didn't realize it until after the dog attacked the kid. If they never took the dog in for vet care that could actually count as animal abuse (or so I have been told).

~Seij

That makes me angry too. Everyone with an ounce of sense knows that a hurt dog may bite when they are in pain. We had a dog when I was kid that bit my cousin across the face and he needed stitches. He wasn't put to sleep because when questioned my cousin who was only 3 at time pointed to where he pulled on the dog. Lets just say it was a highly sensitive area. :oops: This was before people were really educated to neuter their dogs.

[quote]I wonder what the percentage of Pit bulls are that were involved in attacks that were actually just misrepresented mutts/bully mixes...
[/quote]

actually, at least here in the states, more often than not. I just want to go screaming into the nite when I see news stories about "vicious Pit Bull attacks" when the dog is a boxer, or a Pit mix, or something completely not real Pit, like a Mastiff/Pit cross. From what I have read and been told, NO true Pit Bull weighs 90 lbs....the sad thing is, until coming here, and bothering to learn, I would have believed that those dogs were Pits.

another funny cat story. My ex adopted a Manx (tailess cat, although this one has a "bob") and the lady who adopted him out runs a cat sanctuary and adoption service. She remembers adopting 3 out to a woman in the area, and then seeing ad's in the paper for "tailess linx's..." she took them back. One of them was the cat my ex adopted.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

"MYTH: Pit bulls bite more people than any other breed.

FACT: It is hard to pin down, as accurate records by breed are seldom kept. Those records available show what a myth this is. Farmers Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, has kept accurate records since 1980. During a 7 year period from 1980 through 1987, this is what was recorded. Total bites: 1,593. Pit bulls, 30 bites, or 1.89% of the total. Other studies tend to show the same results and because of so many mongrels that have similar features to the American Pit Bull Terrier, it seems reasonable to assume that the figures are actually much lower. "

just imagine the actual numbers. i'm sure this applies to wolf hybrids as well...

frickin morons.

Whether or not this dog was part "wolf" has no bearing on this story what-so-ever.......
The whole point here is irresponsible pet owners, once again !!!!!!! :-?

This dog had been previously injured and nowhere in the story did it say the dog had been seen by a Vet or otherwise.......
What it did spell out in HUGE print is that the boy was tugging on the dog's injured leg...........and then the boy petted him on a separate occasion after and the dog bit him.
Obviously this dog was never seen by a Vet, that is total neglect and cruelty by the owners (grandparents) and total neglect on the Parents/Grandparents part knowing this dog was injured and in possible pain and let this kid interact with the dog not once but twice !!!!! :roll:
What is wrong with PEOPLE ???????? I feel like I'm reading about a bunch of brainless morons.............and the press just reinforces their idiocy !!!!!
The dog shouldn't have been put to sleep it should've received the medical care that it needed and the owners PTS !!! :evilbat:

[quote]I wonder what the percentage of Pit bulls are that were involved in attacks that were actually just misrepresented mutts/bully mixes... [/quote]

It happens a lot but its hard to say. Some Pit Bulls do bite and even attack, just like any other dog, but many other breeds bite and are put down as Pit Bulls.

Most people don't really know what they look like, some one thought my friends Cane Corso was a Pit Bull (and they own pits) another friend of mine who owns Pits and has been around them for along time thought this American Bulldog was a Pit Bull. If those dogs (breeds) bite most people would probably think the same and thats what the bite would be reported as.

Then there is the media who needs a good story, like the one here when a boy was mauled by a black lab, they thought that wasn't interesting so they paid the guy at the shelter to let them film a Pit Bull in the pound and say "pit attack" for the news story.