Dogomania

Roxie - Doberman or not?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I rescued Roxie from the streets about 2 and a half years ago when she was only a few weeks old. I've always said that she has some Doberman Pinscher in her but my brother, who owns 2 golden labs, doesn't seem to think so.

Therefore, I decided where else to settle this than with you guys, the experts. Keep in mind that she's au naturale - her ears were not cropped or taped, her tail was not bobbed, I haven't even had her spayed (yet).

Anyway, here are a few pictures of her as she got older:

[img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/TannerMXer-roxtimeline.jpg[/img]

So whaddaya think? Doberman or not?

Guest Mutts4Me

Erm, yeah... I was think she was a Dachshund until I saw how big she was... So with the coloring and ears, I think Black and Tan Coonhound mixed with something with a very slender face... or else the ever-present possibility of all-around mutt :)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the answers, everybody.

I'd never seen a black and tan coonhound before, but after seeing that picture I'd have to agree with you all. Even though, I still see Doberman in the face.

She is much bigger than she appears in some of those head shots. Last time I checked, she weighed 77 lbs.

I haven't had her spayed yet mainly due to lack of money. I know that might sound like an illigetimate reason, but the male dogs in the house are all newdered and I won't leave Roxie outside without my supervision, so at least I'm not being irresponsible.

I thought she had hound in her, too. Just couldn't put my finger on it. Yep, she looks like a Black and Tan Coonhound, probably mixed with something else, or just three quarters of some other breed. Her face looks a bit too lean to be a B&T, and her ears are not quite as large as the B&T (is that possible? :lol: ). Very beautiful dog, whatever breed! :)

Welcome!!

Going against the tide, I'm going to say she probably does have Dobe in her. An uncropped/undocked Dobe looks a [i]lot[/i] like a Black & Tan, but narrower in the face. The real test is, does she bay? If she bays, she's coonhound. If she doesn't bay, then she isn't.

I do agree that you should have her spayed, though. It's important for her health.

Roxie's head and markings look very much like a Dobermans but her body type is very different from a Dobe. She could be a mix of Dobe and Lab....something like that. She could also be a mix of B&T Coonhound and something but I do think her head is more of a Dobe type than a Coonhound type.

[quote name='Baileysmom'][quote]If she bays, she's coonhound. If she doesn't bay, then she isn't.
[/quote]

I agree with pretty much everything here, but jsut wanted to add, that if she doesnt bay that doesnt mean she isnt still part B&T coonhound...... my beagle mix doesnt bay.[/quote]

Beagles aren't bayers the way coonhounds are. I've known many a Beagle mix that doesn't bay, in fact, I've been around plenty of purebred Beagles that I've not heard bay. But I've [i]never[/i] been around a coonhound, mixed or purebred, that doesn't bay.

Baying is the "a-ROO a-ROOO" noise that hounds make when on the trail (and sometimes at other times). It's a pretty distinctive noise. All scent hound breeds bay, but some bay more than others.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say dobe/lab/dacshound... I can see how she looks coonhound, but I'm not sure how common they are where you are, here though they are so uncommon it would have to be some sort of a miracle to find a dog with it in it at the pound. Dacsie would describe the long ears (we have only natural dobes here... thank dog... but none of their ears are that long), lab would describe the body shape (combined with the squareness of a dobe) and dobe would describe the rest. My sister has a lab/dacsie, if she got out with a dobe I'm pretty sure that might be how some of the pups turned out! (She's desexed though!)

On the topic of desexing - save HARD!!! Believe me, I know about money problems, but one thing I always managed to do, as it was THE NUMBER ONE thing on my priorities list, was desex my dogs. Even if you have to borrow the money off your mum, do it, you owe it to your girl :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I think I understand what 'baying' is now. I used to have a Pointer, so if it's the type of noise [i]they[/i] make when on the trail, I'm very familiar with that. But I can't say I've ever heard Roxie make that kind of noise.

The 'a roo-roo' bark description leaves something to the imagination - it'd be nice if I could actually hear what it sounds like. Roxie does make an 'a-roo-roo' noise, but it's low-pitched and only comes when she's playing.

On the rare occasion that she howls, it's always brought forth when other dogs around her are already howling.

When she gets the scent of a rodent or another animal, she'll sniff like crazy for awhile, then leap into the air while letting out an ear-shattering, high-pitched bark. She does this a few times until realizing that the scent is out of her reach.

well. its not really a pointer noise. The bay is unique to hounds. I have a foxhound. The bay sounds kinda like a cross between a howl, and a long drawn out bark. Hounds bay in a certain tonal ranges, because they carry far in the wind. The purpose of the bay is to alert the hunter that the prey has been found. A short, clipped bark wont carry long distances. The bay carries a long way. IE my foxhound would bay if encountering and cornering a fox. Foxes are fast, human beings on feet couldnt keep up with them or the dogs. Foxes are hunted on horseback. so the dogs could be quite a distance away from the hunter when the quarry is cornered. Thus the bay. the tone is carried long distances on the wind. its a unique sound, not to be confused with a wolf howl, or a coyote yip/howl.

the wolf howl carries long distances as well, and the bay is actually derived from it. However, not all hounds bay. especially mixes. it depends on circumstances and scent, and hunting instinct. a mix might never bay.