Dogomania

All alone

Malamum

I leave Zeb in the house, there really is no other option. I don't have a fenced yard. I'm not going to leave him tied up outside. I don't want a dogsitter.

I have him pee and poo before I leave. If he dosn't have to go before I leave I put newspaper on the floor for him just in case he does have to go. I'm never usually gone that long, and if I am long my parents and my brother take care of him for me.

I leave him a couple of toys. I don't like leaving him his kong anymore because I'm afraid that he will choke on the food in there and no one will be home to help him. Although all he does is sleep in his crate while I'm gone. :lol:

The longest I've ever left Zeb home alone is probably around 8-9 hours. I guess typical "work hours"...but sheesh thinking about it now that seems like a long time to be alone.. :(

Mine have been left alone as long as 10 hours :oops: , but I've recently shifted my work hours so that I'm not gone so long, so now maybe 7 hours, 4 days a week. Some of the dogs go to work with me, some are crated and some are left loose in the house. I generally rotate them around so that no one is kenneled all the time. There is no access to the yard while I'm gone. In my 'hood, I don't want to have a two way entry/exit available when I'm not here. I'm afraid there would be more thugs coming IN it than dogs going OUT of it. :o

Also, my dogs can be avid barkers if left alone outside too long and I don't want to give my neighbors any reason to complain or try to harm my dogs. If we ever get to move a bit further into the country with no nearby neighbors, I plan to have a doggie door (then again, I also plan to be working at home by then, so it's probably a moot point).

I work from home so it is rare that my dogs are ever alone for more than a few hrs. When I DO go out, Lyra is crated (she LOVES her crate), and Loki who hates being crated, is confined to the kitchen and back hallway. He suffers from separation anxiety and can be destructive if left with the run of the whole house.
I would never leave my dogs with access to the yard when I'm gone. For one they hate the heat....and I am too afraid they'd get bored and escape, or someone would steal them....dog theft is rampant around here :-?

This year I have [u]really[/u] short school days, so he only gets left for 1-4 hours usually. Last year though he was alone when I was in school, roughly 6-7 hours/day. Next year I guess it'll be similar, if not longer. But then I'll have the possibiliy of coming home and taking him in the middle of the day if its a really long day.. He's indoors as I don't have a yard of my own, and the balcony is low to the ground and I don't want him taking little flying lessons.

He gets a bone, or filled Kong, or something like that when I leave. Often he doesn't eat it until I get back though, and just lies and sleeps.

Webby doesn't mind being left for a long period of time. But he does NOT like being left several times! If he's alone for 7 hours in a day, he is perfectly fine when I come home, and happy. If I go to school for an hour, then come home, go down town for 20 minutes or so, come home, then dissapear again to the store for 15 minutes or so, then he gets worried.

I don't like leaving him for long, mainly because here its frowned apon to leave a dog for more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I don't particuarly like being called an dog abuser, or having people act like I was even if they don't openly say it...

When I'm here Buddy's rarely if ever alone but if I have to go out of town for work (at 12 day stretches :( ) he will be alone (inside with run of the house) for up to 4.5 hours. John comes home for lunch, there's a flurry of treats, rubs, and going outside). When Puppy was getting really invalid I had to kennel her during this time ... We hated to do it but there was no way John could have worked and taken care of her at the same time. Someday I want a new job where I never have to travel, I'd much rather go into an office than to be away from home for weeks at a stretch. It will also have to be close enough where I can come home for lunch.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='nea']This year I have [u]really[/u] short school days, so he only gets left for 1-4 hours usually. Last year though he was alone when I was in school, roughly 6-7 hours/day. Next year I guess it'll be similar, if not longer. But then I'll have the possibiliy of coming home and taking him in the middle of the day if its a really long day.. He's indoors as I don't have a yard of my own, and the balcony is low to the ground and I don't want him taking little flying lessons.

He gets a bone, or filled Kong, or something like that when I leave. Often he doesn't eat it until I get back though, and just lies and sleeps.

Webby doesn't mind being left for a long period of time. But he does NOT like being left several times! If he's alone for 7 hours in a day, he is perfectly fine when I come home, and happy. If I go to school for an hour, then come home, go down town for 20 minutes or so, come home, then dissapear again to the store for 15 minutes or so, then he gets worried.

I don't like leaving him for long, mainly because here its frowned apon to leave a dog for more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I don't particuarly like being called an dog abuser, or having people act like I was even if they don't openly say it...[/quote]

nea who cares what anyone has to say about your dogs. I'm sure you know they are well cared for and that is all that matters. It would be nice to always be able to spend time with your dogs, but not everyone can just sit at home on their butts all day. People work! I often leave Blitz home for 7-8 hours and in that time I come home once for lunch and to take him outside for a brief walk. I do have a fenced yard, but, because Blitz is so friendly I can not risk leaving him out where someone could easily take him.

Hmmm, well I still don't know what I'm going to do with my dog once I get him. I'll be gone 12 hrs a day for 3 or 4 days. I've thought about working nights while the dog sleeps. I've thought of leaving the dog in a room with his crate and toys available to him if he wants to go in and I've also thought of putting him in a kennel. I suppose I'll figure out what to do when I'm ready.

[quote name='Blitzkrieg Bop SBT'][quote name='nea']This year I have [u]really[/u] short school days, so he only gets left for 1-4 hours usually. Last year though he was alone when I was in school, roughly 6-7 hours/day. Next year I guess it'll be similar, if not longer. But then I'll have the possibiliy of coming home and taking him in the middle of the day if its a really long day.. He's indoors as I don't have a yard of my own, and the balcony is low to the ground and I don't want him taking little flying lessons.

I don't like leaving him for long, mainly because here its frowned apon to leave a dog for more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I don't particuarly like being called an dog abuser, or having people act like I was even if they don't openly say it...[/quote]

nea who cares what anyone has to say about your dogs. I'm sure you know they are well cared for and that is all that matters. It would be nice to always be able to spend time with your dogs, but not everyone can just sit at home on their butts all day. People work! I often leave Blitz home for 7-8 hours and in that time I come home once for lunch and to take him outside for a brief walk. I do have a fenced yard, but, because Blitz is so friendly I can not risk leaving him out where someone could easily take him.[/quote]

I'm sorry Mr but that was INCREDIBLY rude if I read it right. Are you saying that we don't give a f*** what Nea's opinoin is? Other people have said that they only leave their dogs for a little while too! And if its the school thing then oh well! Leaving a dog at home is leaving a dog at home! That's all this was about, not do you leave them for work or school. Errrrrrr..... :x

Oh wait up I went back and re-read it a couple times and found the part he was talking about... sorry bop!!!!!!!!!!! I think it was this part: [quote]I don't like leaving him for long, mainly because here its frowned apon to leave a dog for more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I don't particuarly like being called an dog abuser, or having people act like I was even if they don't openly say it...[/quote]

Ya, It's not abuse if you have to be away from home for 7-8 hours at a time to get money to pay for your dog. Basically you are working [i]for[/i] your dog... If its not that then i think I understand what Bop was saying, that Nea should not mind what other people think but that if she knows that she is taking care of her dogs then thats what matters... Right Bop? Sorry for kinda attacking you earlier, I read yours and nea's posts in the wrong way :oops:

[quote]I don't like leaving him for long, mainly because here its frowned apon to leave a dog for more than 4-5 hours in a day, and I don't particuarly like being called an dog abuser, or having people act like I was even if they don't openly say it...[/quote]

Nea, when you say it’s frowned upon here – do you mean here at Dogo or where you live??

Either way I think that’s a silly attitude. Monday to Friday our dogs are own their own for up to 12 hours a day. We leave home at approx 7.00am and get home between 6.00 and 7.00pm. For more than one reason I hate so much of my day being taken up by going to work but what can you do? We work too far from home to go home at lunch time as well. Does this make us dog abusers or neglectful in any way? I don’t think so.

My dogs have access to our kitchen, laundry and backyard when were are not home. It seems that my original thought was correct, as so far I am the only one here that allows their dogs to be in the yard when no one is home.

I don’t think either way is right or wrong, the reason for the post was pure curiosity on my part. I belong to another forum where all the members are pretty much Australian. A very similar question was posted there and 95% of the people responded saying that their dogs are left outside or have access to the yard when the humans go out. I was trying to determine whether this was a cultural difference as I am always fascinated at how or why things are done a certain way in other parts of the world.

Thanks for all your responses.

my dogs are home 10 hours a day, M-F.....I work full time. It's why I have so many pets, in a way. They keep each other company and dont destroy stuff out of boredom. I have always had at least one dog and one cat. Cats are good company for a dog if they are used to each other. I can come home at lunch, and often do. but even if I dont, they're fine here.
Malamum, I dont let them outside because my neighborhood isnt the greatest. and being hunting dogs, if the gate was opened they would be off like a shot. following their noses. I have always wanted a doggy door, where they could go out when they wanted to and come in when they wanted to. I have recently heard that there is a door you can get that is
coded to an electronic device in the collar, that will open it when the animal approaches, but wont open any other way.....

After the "Tabatha's adventure", she stay in crate and the others can go free in the house with acces to the backyard which is fenced, they can't be in the front yard anymore, they're alone from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm, and sometimes from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. :oops: We have to work hard after that surgery. But every night we take a long walk and play a lot of time.

[quote name='courtnek'] I have recently heard that there is a door you can get that is
coded to an electronic device in the collar, that will open it when the animal approaches, but wont open any other way.....[/quote]

Me being me, I can find the downside of that. :oops:

Some of my dogs are pretty friendly and would gladly run out the door to a friendly stranger. All the friendly stranger would have to do is slip that collar off, wave it near the sensor and I would STILL have some thug coming in through the doggie door. :-?

I really do love the idea of a doggie door where my dogs could come in and go out as they please. I hope the day comes when we finally buy a house in a better area (and I don't have TEN dogs :oops: ) and we can do that. As it is now, ain't happenin' in [i]this[/i] 'hood. :(

Malamum, from my experience (meaning just what I read on various international forums), most nations other than the US seriously frown on leaving a dog alone for very long periods of time, especially crated. It's been particularly interesting to read how many foreigners (for me) think crating for hours at a time is cruel. I guess it truly does reflect a difference in cultures. Then again, in OUR culture, at least in my neck of the woods, it's still perfectly acceptable to leave a dog tied outside 24/7 with bare necessities and little social interaction. It's common enough that most people don't even notice unless the dog is very obviously malnourished or injured or something like that.

I know a lot of people who think crating is "cruel"...but in puppyhood, and when grown up, the dog often sees the crate as his place of security and quiet. I dont crate either of mine...Free is claustrophobic and destroyed the crate. Laurel I got full grown. They have free run of the house. Laurel had a belly upset today. She had to GO but no one was there to let her out. She went down to the landing by the back door, all tile, and went there. You could tell she was sick. I think this was a good thing on her part. She knew to get to the door, but couldnt get out. She didnt go upstairs on the rug, or the hardwood floor, but on the tile by the door.
Messy to clean up, yes, but much easier than upstairs. I would love a doggy door, but I agree HF. Laurel is afraid of people she doesnt know, and Free would bark and stand them off, but you never can tell.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']
Malamum, from my experience (meaning just what I read on various international forums), most nations other than the US seriously frown on leaving a dog alone for very long periods of time, especially crated. It's been particularly interesting to read how many foreigners (for me) think crating for hours at a time is cruel. I guess it truly does reflect a difference in cultures. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve noticed very different opinions depending upon where the person lives and what is considered the norm where they come from.

I don’t think crating is cruel, however it’s not something I do. I don’t see the need for it personally. I understand all the reasons why you guys do it and I don’t discount them I just don’t think my dog’s lives would be made better by spending the day in a crate as apposed to running around in our back yard. Again – I’m not having a go at anyone who does crate I don’t think it’s wrong, it’s just not for me. If I were to attended dog shows etc regularly then I would crate train my dogs to be able to stay in a crate while at a show or trial etc but wouldn’t bother for just being kept at home.

Also in regards to the amount of time it’s ok to leave a dog, I have noticed that a lot of people in the US go home to check on their dogs and let them out at lunch. I personally don’t know one person who goes home at lunch time (for any reason, dog related or otherwise). Everyone I know works too far away from where they live. I know this is going off on a tangent but for those that do go home at lunch, how long does it take you to get from work to home?

I was curious as to why people don’t allow their dogs outside. The general consensus seems to be to stop people in the neighborhood interfering with the dogs. I can understand that. It’s not a major concern here, but we do have 6ft wooden fences and padlock our gates. I’m assuming the weather may factor in aswell. Do those that don’t allow their dogs outside live in areas where it snows? If so, and that is the reason your dogs stay indoors, do you leave them out in summer?

Again I’m not trying to start arguments or say any way is right or wrong, I just truly am fascinated as to why people do things the way they do.

I live 15 minutes from work, and get an hour lunch, so I can go home if I choose to let them out. I dont allow mine outside because of both weather (it gets very cold here in the winter, often below zero) and because I dont feel comfortable about their escaping. The gate is locked, and Laurel would probably be fine outside all day (with adequate shelter) since she was raised in a kennel. But Free was raised indoors, and Laurel doesnt want to be out without Free. *sigh*

I would love to let them be out, during the summer, but ir just wont work...

My dogs stay inside during the day if they are home alone. I don't have a escape proof fenced in yard (it is fenced but if they wanted to they could find a way out). Also it isn't "traditional" here to leave dogs outside when they are home alone. It can also get really really cold here (even in the summer). Neither of my dog is crated, they get the run of the apartment (minus the bedroom) and I leave the radio on. The next dog that I will have (some day later) will be crate trained, and left in the crate during the day until he/she can be trusted loose with the other.

John comes home everty day for lunch, essential when I'm out of town. It's about 5-15 minutes each way depending on whether he bikes or drives, and traffic.

I know people who leave their dogs out all day here, with shelter. I guess that's OK if your dog is hardy ... and if it's only during the day with good shelter and plenty of water. Our winter days are mild though our summers can get around 100F some days. In his last home Buddy was left out day and night, his shelter was under the mobile home. His former owner said "Oh he can take any kind of weather..." well guess what, he is a wimp! I give him the choice to be in or out and unless it's over 60 and sunny he wants IN thank you! It makes me sad thinking he had to stay out all winter at his old home given that he loves to be warm.

My boys have free run of the main floor minus the bathroom but only when it is my week to tidy the main floor. Kavik and Zaphod are good but there is only so much temptation they can resist and the roomies leave to much out. When the roomies have been "tidying" I leave the boys in the kitchen which, thankfully, usually remains clean and fairly temptation free.
As for time the longest the boys were left was 12 hours once - there was a misunderstanding about who was going home to let them out. Generally they aren't alone any more than 6 hours - roomies do have their upsides.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='ESSlover'][quote name='Blitzkrieg Bop SBT'][quote name='nea']This year I have [u]really[/u] short school days, so he only gets left for 1-4 hours usually. Last year though he was alone when I was in school, roughly 6-7 hours/day. Next year I guess it'll be similar, if not longer. But then I'll have the possibiliy of coming home and taking him in the middle of the day if its a really long day.. He's indoors as I don't have a yard of my own, and the balcony is low to the ground and I don't want him taking little flying lessons.

nea who cares what anyone has to say about your dogs. I'm sure you know they are well cared for and that is all that matters. It would be nice to always be able to spend time with your dogs, but not everyone can just sit at home on their butts all day. People work! I often leave Blitz home for 7-8 hours and in that time I come home once for lunch and to take him outside for a brief walk. I do have a fenced yard, but, because Blitz is so friendly I can not risk leaving him out where someone could easily take him.[/quote]

I'm sorry Mr but that was INCREDIBLY rude if I read it right. Are you saying that we don't give a f*** what Nea's opinoin is? Other people have said that they only leave their dogs for a little while too! And if its the school thing then oh well! Leaving a dog at home is leaving a dog at home! That's all this was about, not do you leave them for work or school. Errrrrrr..... :x[/quote]

uh...Well, I'm not going to say thank you for apologizing because it was a complete misinterpretation of what I said and you jumped down my throat when you should have first asked what I meant. I wasn't saying anything bad to nea.

[quote]Sasha can easily climb a 6 foot privacy fence... (I have seen her do this)[/quote] :o :o

OMG is she part monkey? :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, how the hell does she do that? I’m assuming when you say privacy fence you mean a solid wood fence. What does she use as footholds to climb?

I’m glad my dogs are way too lazy to even consider climbing the fence. Indy is such a big scaredy cat I don’t think he’d even try. When we were out walking once I had to get him under a fence. There was plenty of room but he just wouldn’t do it. I had to get down on my tummy and shimmy through to show him how. :roll: :-?

Our dogs are rarely left outside without a person with them, and never if there's no one home to check on them. We only have a couple small parts of our yard fenced, but even if we had it all done, Goo can jump fences, and would to get the neighbors dogs (who harass us all the time while we're out). We also have a lot of traffic coming through from my younger cousin (lives with my grandparents in the house behind ours) bringing his friends though, and I wouldn't trust some of them not to tease the dogs, let them out, or do something else to them. In addition, I've also had quite a few people express interest in Haley, asking if I had plans of getting rid of her, etc when I have her out walking (who would think?). She'd go right with someone, so I wouldn't dare leave her outside without anyone there to keep an eye on her.

It also gets too hot for the dogs to be outside comfortably in the summer, too cold in winter.

When we're gone, the little dogs are gated in the kitchen, and either Haley or Goo (sometimes both) is put up. Goo goes in my room, Haley gets crated because she's taken to chewing on things and making a general mess out of the office. There's usually someone home that can keep an eye on them, so it's not like they're locked up all day long.