Dogomania

FLEAS!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

YUCK! never had fleas before, and now that we have boonie i was patting himt oday and saw a flea! that would explaine zoey's tching i thought it was her allergies again cuse i didnt' see any fleas... grrr....... isn't it too cold for them to live now? now i have to bomb theh ouse and get some flea treatment for them... :x

fleas can be a problem yr round cause they love to come inside now :roll: theyre probably going to be almost impossilbe to see on Zoe unfortunately - start by giving them all a good long bath (as long as they will stand it) the water alone will kill alot and pick any off you find and put them in a bowl of water...... thats a good start :-)
good luck!

I always just use advantage on one of my cats, the fleas jump and feed on my cat and kills all the adult fleas in the house :D
When the larvae hatches they will eventually feed on my cat too. I hate like heck to use all these pesticides on my dogs. (not that I don't love my cat :o ). I know they all say they are safe to use, but, I am still not crazy about them since one of my dogs broke out last time I put a topical treatment on (once I used advantage, I also used frontline and revolution) it didn't sit well with one of my dogs so it scared me. The cat doesnt seem to have any problems. :wink:

If you are [b]very[/b] opposed to the chems you put on the dog you can try:

1. Bag all stuffed animals and pillows and other floofy things in thick garbage bags, put vacume on reverse and suck air out, seal with duct tape and leave for 2 days to a week.
2. Wash all washable items in water as warm as you can for the material type.
3. Vaccume everything - Lokipups idea sounds great.
4. Do the herbal remedies, garlic etc.
5. Get a flea comb and a good amount of loose lavender flowers and peppermint (insect repellents.)
6. Fill a deep tub with very warm, ever so slightly soapy water, throw in the lavender and peppermint. Immerse dog as deep as you can and leave like this for 1-5 min - if you can get them to sit still that long. Frequently dump water from bath over whatever part of dog is not submerged. Drain water but leave dog in tub. Rinse off excess peppermint and lavender. Have a seat, painstakingly go over every inch of dog with the flea comb (the peppermint and lavender stuck in the dogs coat will help you know where you have already brushed.) Put dog somewhere else. Strip and put your clothes in plastic bad for washing later, thorougly clean bath area to get rid of lingering fleas.
7. Use flea spray in any area of house you are comfortable with.
8. Repeat as often as weekly until problem is remedied.

You have to be pretty opposed to chems or very determined to use this method but it will work eventually. Also it leaves the dog smelling nice and feeling soft. You may have to add oatmeal to the baths later on if you bath once a week or your dog may get dry skin. You can also do this as a temp fix if an infested animal show up at your house unexpectadly but you have to have peppermint and lavender on hand. ($2.50 of each is what we used for two kittens we have it in the house looseleaf as it makes a nice "tea" mixed 4:1 peppermint to lavender.)

frontline the dogs. Get a house spray (vetkem acclaim is the best in uk), remove all the soft furnishings. take a cloth and rub meths around the skirting boards, spray all over the room with the house spray and leave it for a few hours. Vacuum thoroughly especially all the corners. Also treat the dogs beds with the spray then wash them. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

thaqnks for all the helpful ideas! I acn't wash my couch as the custions dotn gcoem out of thema nd i have no drapes but in my bedroom i will however steam clean the couch tonight and the whole house with very hot water to try and kill them that way and i'll get a med for teh dogs to put them on

EEEEEK I saw one on Buddy 2 days ago and then one jumped on me when I was on the couch. Luckily there was this thread to get helpful ideas. Just got off the phone with my vet and we are going to do Frontline on Buddy and kitty Gladysse. He said it should take care of anything in the house too but I am going on a cleaning frenzy anyway.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Baileysmom']$80?? I pay $45 for a box of 3 apps for my dog at my vet.......[/quote]0

ack!! times that by 3 for me!! i wonder if it's cheaper at hte vet on base... all the other things are..

Guest Anonymous

Blitz has been on Frontline Plus since he was around 4 months old and he has never had any problems with fleas. We are always out and about hiking in the woods where he is in contact with fleas and ticks and he has never had any problem nor have I in the house. I also use garlic as part of his diet which I hear also helps but is good for other things also. It depends on how much your dog weighs, but I pay $29.99 for a 3 pack for dogs 23-44lbs

Oh I need to clarify, it was $80 for thre apps EACH, three for the cat and three for Buddy (who needed the 45-80 something pound one). Sounds like that's pretty much in line.

I also went and spent $37 on a sweet Eureka cordless vac... now THAT I think was a good buy. The whole flea thing is freaking me out and I (no make that WE, me and my husband!!!) need to do some better housekeeping.

Guest Anonymous

I bought Foggers and i just called the vet to get Frontline. they didn't have any advantage or other things that you guys suggested but i see that some of you use Frontline. and for the big dogs it's 33.25 for a 3 months supply and boonie is 29.95 for 3 months. so i think i'll get 1 for the big dogs and then just use 2 of the 3 month supply until my husbands extra pay kicks in netx month then they can each get their own. I'e given them all flea baths and they have flea collars on but i think zoey's allergivce to fleas cuse she's scratching so much so i'm off to go get the frontline righ tnow and then bomb the house this afternoon as well

For all the little dog owners...

Did you know that you can buy the large dog doses of Advantage and split them for smaller dogs? One tube of large dog Advantage will easily treat three of my smaller dogs which equals huge savings for people that have to buy it. It's the same exact medicine, the only difference being the amount in the tube. When I was still buying Advantage, I always bought the big dog sizes and just broke them up for my smaller dogs. It went a lot further and saved a ton of money. My vet and the Bayer (makers of Advantage) rep actually encourage this for people who do a lot of rescue and have fosters coming in and out.

Guest Anonymous

wow thanks for that HF i was wondering if you could do that.. Thanks ;) maybe i'll just buy the 6 month supply and just use a little bit on Boonie.

Anytime! :)

I think we dose at 1 ml per 20 lbs of dog. That means a small dog up to 20 lbs would get 1 ml. A 20 lb (or under) dog could get four applications from a single large dog tube which contains 4 mls. You should be able to get a syringe and measure it (ml and cc is the same, I believe).

I don't know if it works with Frontline or not. I've never used Frontline and don't know anything about it. It's the Advantage I'm familiar with.

Hope that helps you save money! That stuff is so expensive.