Dogomania

just in case anyone is interested - new innova product

TDG

natura's newest product, innova EVO, is going to hit the shelves within the next few weeks. it's different from any other kibble i've ever seen before and many other pet food companies will have to measure their foods by a completely new standard. here are the specs:

[b]* grain free
* low carb (only 12% carbs, most other kibbles are 40%-60% carbs, just for comparison)[/b]

[b]ingredients:[/b]
Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potato, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Eggs, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Garlic, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Dried Chicory Root, Ascorbic Acid, Taurine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Direct Fed Microbials (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product)

[b]guaranteed analysis:[/b]
Crude Protein (minimum)...........42.0%
Crude Fat (minimum).................22.0%
Crude Fiber (maximum)............. 2.5%
Moisture (maximum).................. 10.0%
Linoleic Acid (minimum).............. 4.2%
Vitamin E (minimum)................. 300 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* (minimum).................. 500 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty acids (minimum)... 0.50%
Total Microorganisms* (minimum)..........90,000,000 CFU/LB

(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Enterococcus faecium in equal amounts

[b]calorie content:[/b]
4243 kcal/kg
537 kcal/cup
1 cup=4.40 oz (124 g)

i'll have some more details (other than what you can find at naturapet.com) in a few days and will update this thread. :)

it's definitely a product worth looking at, i plan on testing it on my next road trip, when home prepared isn't exactly a convenient choice.

[edit note: i can't spell. lol]

well my sample arrived in the mail today and my cats as well as the dog went nuts over this food. which says a lot, since my cats are about the piciest critters you can imagine and they've never before "approved" any kind of dog food.

mind you, these asre animals who get fresh, raw foods as well, so they don't really have a reason to go bonkers over dry food.

it is made into tiny, tiny square-ish bits, even smaller than the regular innova adult or innova cat kibbles.

more soon :)

Sounds like a winner! I don't know of anyone nearby that carries Innova products at all. Canidae and Wellness are hard enough to get around here. I wish I could get more variety, but I guess I should be thankful for what is available to me, though limited it is.

TDG, I have a question (or two :oops: )...

The high protein... I always thought TOO much protein would be hard on the kidneys especially as they get older? I know a really high carb, grainy food isn't good, but I was just wondering how much protein is TOO much protein.

Next question... do you have a cost comparison? How does it compare in cost to, say, Canidae or Wellness?

Oh, and this.... sample? By mail? Hmmm? :D

HF, have you checked the natura website for suppliers in your area?
[url]http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab[/url]

do searches both by zip code and telephone area code, the search engine doesn't work all that well if you are too specific. lol

as for the protein - it has actually been proven that a high protein content will not cause kidney problems. and even for dogs in renal failure, experts have learned that severely restricting protein isn't necessary. what is important, however, is that high quality, highly digestible protein is healthier than poor quality protein sources that are hard to digest.

i'm not sure about cost yet but have read on some other forum that prices are around $40/42 for the 28.6 lb and $20 for the 13.2lbs bag. but i think even if people could just feed it as sort of a supplement, it would still be a huge improvement for the diet.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my EVO today and Buddy LOVES it. With the regular Innova (green bag) he treated it as any dog usually treats kibble "... ho hum, oh that ... I'll eat it later ... aren't you going to give me something better first?"

But with the EVO, he goes for it like it was canned food! I am so happpppy. Must admit it was a little sticker shock (though I was expecting it to be pricey...) But now I probably won't have to supplement with the canned (I was giving anout 1/3 can Innova can per day just to make suppertime seem "special") ... For me I can do it ... if I had a human child my financial priorities might prevent it though.

THANK you TDG (and Dogo!) becaue I would not even have heard of it if it weren't for you.

TDG, I read some where that high protein in diets can cause hot spots? I read it in one of the WDJ issues a breeder of Goldens who does rescue said that many goldens she had rescued and had major skin issues cleared up real quick by reducing protein in the diet. She mentioned that high protein is good for a dog working but not for the typical house dog??? :o
I am just curious. I'll try to find that article to reread it. I might be wrong or may be misconscrewed the information. I think she said 30% protein was too high for house dogs.
I am just wondering if this may be a reason some of these dogs suffer from hot spots and skin problems or is it just the total over all diet of the dogs in particular. I also read some where on a Dr Weil website that too high of carbs cause skin problems. I am so confused.

matty, i don't think it's as simple as only protein being at fault. look at how many dogs eat home prepared diets with 50% and more protein in their diet on a daily basis and are doing extremely well.

hotspots are bacterial infections that the body can't fight off. they can be caused by various things - insect bites, skin allergies where a dog starts scratching and licking because of discomfort, you get the idea.

i firmly believe that high levels of poor quality, hard to digest protein and fat in commercial foods are to blame rather than just protein content in general. in poor quality dry food, this low quality protein is generally corn, soy or some sort of meal made from animal byproducts.

the line of thinking that only working dogs need a higher amount of protein in their diet is outdated thinking. it mainly goes back to the fact that protein is a more expensive ingredient in dog food and non-working dogs don't really need it. before commercial dry food became popular after world war 2, grains weren't as large of a part in dog's diets either.

reducing protein may be a temporary way to fix these hotspots, but with that you do not address the underlying problem. as nature designed them, dogs are animals with a carnivorous background and are prefectly well able to handle a diet high in protein and fat. large amounts of carbs (from grains) on the other hand do supply energy, but they aren't really something nature intended for dogs to eat. due to their role as scavengers they are extremely adaptable when it comes to what they can eat, but not all of them will do well on the same composition of foods.

i believe in working from the inside to the outside, supporting the immune system, removing unnecessary irritants from the diet, and feeding natural ingredients as much as possible. i'm not the sort of extremist who is going to tell you you can't do this while feeding commercial foods, since in the past 5-6 years there have been many changes in the industry and there is a good number of excellent products out there.

but they are all designed for "dogs", not for an individual dog. so sometimes it will take a bit of experimenting to find out what works, and maybe a few supplements. and of course any fresh, "live" foods you can add to a commercial diet are a valuable addition as well.

TDG, I do feed my dogs a variety in their diets including fresh foods and some times for convience I do also feed a kibble (wellness/and solid gold). I have never had any skin problems or health problems (nutrition related) with my own dogs.
I just get so confused at times because you read on one place about feeding proteins and balanced meals and cutting back on grains. Then the other night I was reading WDJ and the Golden owner had written in to the WDJ saying about feeding less protein as she said this is the reason dogs were having problems and she said all the skin problems on the rescues cleared up with less protien. I don't have the copy in front of me but, if you want to read what she said I will get that info for you and the issue # (I think I read that you subscribe to WDJ).
You do make alot more sense than any one else who writes about dog nutrition. I guess I just read different things and get a little confused at times.
Thank for responding.

matty, i've read that letter. you are right, i'm also a WDJ subscriber. :)

i know how confusing things can get, i've been through that myself. what keeps me focused is asking myself "what did dogs eat before commercial foods became widely available and affordable?". people have kept dogs for thousands of years and they were obviously healthy. it's not something that just came about in the last 60 years or so. :)