Dogomania

Black Lab with discolored coat?

imported_Matty

OK, a person I know owns a Black Lab, the dog is 10 years old and has just recently started getting a funny coat. To explain, the dog has always had a lovely black shiny coat, lately it has become kinda dull and more like under coat on the sides with no guard hairs. It feels kinda soft and downy and discolored. The dog has never looked like this before and the owner has taken the dog to the vet. They advised the owner to change the dogs food. My friend has been feeding the same food since day one of the dogs life, I think its nutrience dog food. She also substitutes the dogs diet with fruit and veggies daily and some left overs so its not like the dog hasn't gotten a variety.
Any way, I told her she should get a CBC done just in case of thyroid problems. She will do this, but, do you think that the discoloration could be caused from feeding the same food all of the dogs life??
she said she is going to pick up another food called holistic blend and change the dogs food.
What do you think? can a food change a dogs coat in latter years to a dull downy look? or do you think it sounds like the beginning of a health problem?

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Matty']OK, a person I know owns a Black Lab, the dog is 10 years old and has just recently started getting a funny coat. To explain, the dog has always had a lovely black shiny coat, lately it has become kinda dull and more like under coat on the sides with no guard hairs. It feels kinda soft and downy and discolored. The dog has never looked like this before and the owner has taken the dog to the vet. They advised the owner to change the dogs food. My friend has been feeding the same food since day one of the dogs life, I think its nutrience dog food. She also substitutes the dogs diet with fruit and veggies daily and some left overs so its not like the dog hasn't gotten a variety.
Any way, I told her she should get a CBC done just in case of thyroid problems. She will do this, but, do you think that the discoloration could be caused from feeding the same food all of the dogs life??
she said she is going to pick up another food called holistic blend and change the dogs food.
What do you think? can a food change a dogs coat in latter years to a dull downy look? or do you think it sounds like the beginning of a health problem?[/quote]

thats really weird? my black lab is having the same problem. thank God for dogo!!!

Is she sure he's not just blowing coat? The lab x I used to walk looked diseased when she'd blow coat, huge patches of undercoat hanging out over the other coat, like a bird coming into full plumage. Just tossing it out there, as it's common, but not something most people think of.

No the Lab is not blowing coat. They have had the dog since it was a pup and the coat looks really awful, its Dry dull and brittle. Thryoid test came fine. They brush the dog and just had it bathed and blown out at the local groomers to see if that would help a while back. The groomers used a nice conditioner and every thing. They are going to see if a change in diet will help.